cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Media Mail be sent in a box?

I have a few books that a buyer would like combined shipping on. I noticed that the dimensions are a tad bit larger than the max size for an envelope (It's about 1" thick)

I haven't found anything about not being able to ship multiple books in one package and get media mail for it (correct me if I'm wrong here please). But does the type of package itself matter when it comes to the media mail requirement?

Also, I read somewhere else that USPS is cracking down on the contents of media mail packages (-checking them). A red flag to them is when brown paper is used. I recycle things (such as putting contents in cereal boxes, etc..) and I use a paper bag from the grocery store to wrap it up. Is there any way I can make my package less susceptible to a check? I'm not worried about the contents, but the possibility of delays and a lost package (if they don't re-tape the package properly). Also a little worried about a package being delivered a little beat up than what I sent it out and the customer getting upset at me for it.

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

@crescentchi 

There is absolutely no problem shipping books in boxes -- I've done it many times, without any hassles.  

There is a weight limitation of 70 pounds; but it doesn't sound as if that would be an issue for you.

I don't know where you got the idea that " A red flag to them is when brown paper is used."  I've been shipping out my books using brown grocery bag paper for decades, with absolutely no problems whatsoever.  That's the way that I was taught back in the 1960s!

Your package (or box) may raise suspicions ONLY if it DOESN'T appear to contain books -- meaning a package that looks like magazines or comic books (both of which are not allowed as "Media" items), or items which are too small, or too light.  Most packages and or boxes that have the proper heft and appearance for books will be ignored by postal inspectors.

If you pack the interior of your packages (and boxes) tight enough, with bubble wrap or air pillows or other light material, the contents will not slide around so much, and the container will roughly maintain its shape.

However -- most boxes get somewhat abused during the USPS shipping process, since they are subject to long drops, and falls, and objects falling upon them -- there's no way to avoid those situations!

But the better you pack your items, the more secure the insides will be from exterior abuse.

Good luck!

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Boxes are absolutely fine, I rarely send a book not in a box.   I would not use cereal boxes for anything, especially heavy books.  They aren't made for shipping.  We are also not advised to wrap boxes in paper which can get caught in machines or rip off.   Boxes are pretty easy to find.  I have collected a room full---it's kind of an addiction now. 😂

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

@crescentchi wrote:

I have a few books that a buyer would like combined shipping on. I noticed that the dimensions are a tad bit larger than the max size for an envelope (It's about 1" thick) ... does the type of package itself matter when it comes to the media mail requirement? ....

Just to round out the conversation: the maximum allowed thickness for a USPS First Class flat (AKA Large envelope) is 3/4 inch, but a book would not be eligible to be mailed as a flat even if it was less than 3/4 inch thick, because flats must be flexible.  Media Mail is a package service, so of course boxes are OK.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply