cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer wants to send back item, he didn't purchase...

Hi all...

Received this is my ebay inbox this morning:

New message from: ****** (4)

"My company bought your cashmaster omega 230, and it is not working. The power button is flashing red and green which indicates a faulty battery. I called customer support and they said they can't help us. We're going to return it to you for a refund."

But this person did not purchase cashmaster I had up for auction. Instead, he did ask a question earlier but was sold to another bidder.

However, he and the WINNING BIDDER live about 40 miles apart from each other in Indiana so it could very well be them. If eBay allowed me to search for bidder history (I think this used to be an option) this would make things a bit easier for me.

I sent him the link:

https://pages.ebay.com/ebay-money-back-guarantee/questions.html

Should I send the "actual winner" a question too? Or is that opening up a can of worms?

Is there anymore else I should be doing?  It has been awhile seen I've sold on eBay.

Thanks all!

Message 1 of 46
latest reply
45 REPLIES 45

Re: Buyer wants to send back item, he didn't purchase...

Thanks all for the responses.

I'll let you know when I get it back. I appreciate your help.

Message 31 of 46
latest reply

Sorry...

So I'm a little confused. Did the buyer pay for the item to be sent back? Or does eBay automatically bill the seller later in the "total refund"?

ebayphoto5.jpg

Message 32 of 46
latest reply

When your buyer opens the Return Request you will get an email with instructions on what you need to do.   Just wait for the email.  If it has already arrived and you overlooked it, you can go to your resolution center and see the request.  Click into the details and everything you need to know should be stated there.

If your buyer has not yet opened a return request.  Then WAIT.  Do nothing else.  Don't email them and ask them where it is, just wait.  But be sure that you don't already have the request opened and waiting your response.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 33 of 46
latest reply

Although you're already looking at the return request and its details, go ahead anyway as suggested, go to your resolution center and see the request, and click into the details.

For the return shipping label that eBay automatically issued to your buyer @quartersnsense you will see that charge on your monthly invoice IF YOUR BUYER USES IT. Otherwise, your buyer might be paying for their own label to return your item. The return label cost will not exceed your original cost, if you bought it from eBay.

Message 34 of 46
latest reply

The cost for the label will be billed to your account after the post office receives it and scans it into their system. That's so you don't get charged if the shipping label is never used.

In this case, the tracking number is visible in your screen shot. If you check the tracking, it appears that the buyer has printed the label (pre-shipment info received) but the USPS hasn't scanned it, so it's not in their system yet.

Message 35 of 46
latest reply

Well the page hasn't changed at all...it looks like the item hasn't been shipped yet.

It still says:

"The buyer has until the 4th to ship the item..."

Here are two photos:

ebayphoto6.jpg

ebayphoto7.jpg

If the item isn't even shipped by the 30th,  does that mean I still have to refund or ebay automatically refunds the item?

Thanks again..

Message 36 of 46
latest reply

You should talk to Buyer again. good luck

Message 37 of 46
latest reply

@dunguyen_39 wrote:

NO absolutely NOT.  That is inviting problems that aren't necessary.  The buyer will be back in contact if they decide to return the item.

Message 38 of 46
latest reply

@quartersnsense wrote:

Well the page hasn't changed at all...it looks like the item hasn't been shipped yet.

It still says:

"The buyer has until the 4th to ship the item..."

Here are two photos:

ebayphoto6.jpg

ebayphoto7.jpg

If the item isn't even shipped by the 30th,  does that mean I still have to refund or ebay automatically refunds the item?

Thanks again..

That means that the buyer has not filed for a return yet.  So now you wait.  Be responsive to them if they contact you again, but do NOT reach out to them.  Just leave it alone.  Your buyer will come to you if they need you.  

You do NOT have to refund anything.  You do NOT have a Return Request filed by the buyer.  All you have are emails from the other guy, not even the buyer that actually purchased the item.  

There is no Return Request in place according to your screen shots, so NO Ebay isn't going to step in and refund the buyer.  They CAN'T without a return request in place.

I know it is hard to do, but you just need to find something else to do and get your mind off this.  You just need to WAIT.  There is nothing for you to do right now.  And there may not be anything in the future for you to do on this transaction.  You have to wait for the buyer that made the purchase to do something.  Nothing you can or should do right now but wait.

Message 39 of 46
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@dunguyen_39 wrote:

NO absolutely NOT.  That is inviting problems that aren't necessary.  The buyer will be back in contact if they decide to return the item.

Shoot, I just did. Thanks @mam98031 for all your suggestions.  That due date (tomorrow here) I am suppose to issue a refund, but USPS hasn't picked up any item yet since the start of all this. Will eBay do an automatic refund?

Thanks again...

Message 40 of 46
latest reply

@quartersnsense wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@dunguyen_39 wrote:

Shoot, I just did. Thanks @mam98031 for all your suggestions.  That due date (tomorrow here) I am suppose to issue a refund, but USPS hasn't picked up any item yet since the start of all this. Will eBay do an automatic refund?

Thanks again...

Why?  What do you think that is going to do for you?

What "due date"??????????????  It doesn't appear the buyer that purchased from you filed for a return from the screenshots you provided previously.  

I really don't understand.  Is there a Return Request filed by the buyer that purchased the item from you?

Who or what is telling you that you need to refund by tomorrow?

Have you received the item back?

@quartersnsense 

Message 41 of 46
latest reply

Just read your post...thanks!

Message 42 of 46
latest reply

@mam98031  No I haven't received the item back.

" Is there a Return Request filed by the buyer that purchased the item from you?"

Yes:

"The buyer started a return

The buyer has until Sep 4 to ship the item. You can either wait for the item to arrive or issue a refund. If you issue a refund now, this return will be closed and you shouldn't expect to receive the item back."

The due date is in the screenshot where I put a round bubble by it.

Here it is again:

ebayphoto7.jpg

I'm sorry for the confusion.

@mam98031 wrote:

@quartersnsense wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@dunguyen_39 wrote:

Thanks again...

Why?  What do you think that is going to do for you?

What "due date"??????????????  It doesn't appear the buyer that purchased from you filed for a return from the screenshots you provided previously.  

I really don't understand.  Is there a Return Request filed by the buyer that purchased the item from you?

Who or what is telling you that you need to refund by tomorrow?

@quartersnsense 

Message 43 of 46
latest reply

Sorry, I should have seen that.  I don't have a good excuse, I simply didn't pay close enough attention to your previous post.

The buyer has 5 business days from the date the Return Request was opened to get the item in the hands of the carrier.

Ebay will not force you to refund the item yet.  Your buyer couldn't even ask Ebay to step in at this point.  It is in your buyer's court right now.  Watch for the tracking to start and follow it closely.

It is just standard for Ebay to say you can refund now if you want.  But they won't force that at this point at all.  

Under "more actions" just to the right of your red circle, can you see anything for tracking the package?

Who will be the carrier for returning the item?

Message 44 of 46
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

Sorry, I should have seen that.  I don't have a good excuse, I simply didn't pay close enough attention to your previous post.

The buyer has 5 business days from the date the Return Request was opened to get the item in the hands of the carrier.

Ebay will not force you to refund the item yet.  Your buyer couldn't even ask Ebay to step in at this point.  It is in your buyer's court right now.  Watch for the tracking to start and follow it closely.

It is just standard for Ebay to say you can refund now if you want.  But they won't force that at this point at all.  

Under "more actions" just to the right of your red circle, can you see anything for tracking the package?

Who will be the carrier for returning the item?

This is what it looks like.

The carrier is USPS and nobody has picked up the package either the 27 or 28th...we'll see about later today.

And that's okay, just thanks for you help.

ebayphoto8.jpg

Message 45 of 46
latest reply