cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer wants return or refund past 30 days?

Someone bought a NES system from me.  I test and clean all systems I sell and *know* this system was working.  They bought it on 11/26/18, and recieved it on 11/29/18.  I received a message from them yesterday 1/2/19 that it's not working.  I tried to help them troubleshoot it, but they claim it's hooked up correctly, and that it doesn't work.  They said it was a christmas present and they want a return, repair, or refund.  They threatened me with a claim and negative feedback if I don't comply by tomorrow.

I was under the impression 30 days was the limit for returns?  They've had the system over a month, and I find it hard to believe they only yesterday finally tested it.  Do I have any options here?

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Buyer wants return or refund past 30 days?

Since you have a no returns policy (this would apply to a thirty day return policy as well)

"Dear Buyer,

I'm sorry, but the return window for this item has expired.

Yours,

Seller"

Send that once, and then hush. Let the buyer make the next move. This will probably buy you a neg which may or may not be removable, depending on what is says.

OR if you want to play the game,

"Dear Buyer,
I'm sorry you're not happy with <whatever>. Please return it for a full refund.

Yours,

Seller"

Send that once, then hush. Let the buyer make the next move. Chances are good that you'll never hear from them again if they're just fishing for a post-sale discount or freebie. You may or may not get a neg, which may or may not be removable.

You're being strong armed. Don't fold. If you get a neg, so what? It won't be the end of the world. Don't cave to scammers and con artists. If the buyer truly had or had a problem, they would use the resources Ebay gives them and would have opened a return.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell

View Best Answer in original post

Message 6 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Since it's been longer than 30 days, Id nothing unless they open a case. If they do, come back for advice.
Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Contact ebay about the negative feedback threat.  It's called feedback extortion and ebay takes it very seriously.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

I wouldn't do anything. 

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Okay, so basically stop sending messages to them and let them open a case?  And then if they do, contact ebay about the negative feedback threat?  

This was their actual message:

"Hi I’m messaging again about the NES console that came broken. I need you to do something about this by tomorrow(return,refund,or repair) or I will file a claim and give a negative review. This happened to be my child’s Christmas present and he still hasn’t gotten to play it!"

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Since you have a no returns policy (this would apply to a thirty day return policy as well)

"Dear Buyer,

I'm sorry, but the return window for this item has expired.

Yours,

Seller"

Send that once, and then hush. Let the buyer make the next move. This will probably buy you a neg which may or may not be removable, depending on what is says.

OR if you want to play the game,

"Dear Buyer,
I'm sorry you're not happy with <whatever>. Please return it for a full refund.

Yours,

Seller"

Send that once, then hush. Let the buyer make the next move. Chances are good that you'll never hear from them again if they're just fishing for a post-sale discount or freebie. You may or may not get a neg, which may or may not be removable.

You're being strong armed. Don't fold. If you get a neg, so what? It won't be the end of the world. Don't cave to scammers and con artists. If the buyer truly had or had a problem, they would use the resources Ebay gives them and would have opened a return.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 6 of 12
latest reply

Yeah, unfortunately I've already engaged the buyer in discussion over the course of many emials, trying to help her diagnose the issue (since my initial assumption was that she simply had it hooked up incorrectly).  Her last message reads thusly:

"The package didn’t look damaged to me, when I connected the rf connector I had it on he right channel, channel 3 and the screen is just fuzzy with no sound wth the rf. With the AV there’s no picture but there is sound. I tried the other games and they did the same thing. I made sure the channel was on the right one for the cord I was using. I tried two different rf cords and 3 different AV. I’m going to try one more time on a different tv tonight when I get home. I’ll let you know my results but I was unsuccessful the two times I already tired. Sorry about my message as it was a little stern and I see your cooperation I just get nervous because it’s eBay and it was a gift."

I'm honestly just tempted to give them the benefit of the doubt and offer a return.  I don't really want the negative feedback, and I kinda feel bad if it was a child's gift.  They could be lying I guess, but they've been fairly communicative...  

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

You need to know that the buyer can make a claim through paypal for 6 monthe (180 days exactly) for Not As Described and youw illhave to refund of they return it. 

----------------------------
Successful and experienced seller since 1997, over 70,000 feedback, boardie since the boards were begun.
Message 8 of 12
latest reply

I wouldn't do anything. 

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

If it was a Christmas gift that would explain why they had it for a while before they tried using it.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

If the buyer leaves negative feedback, you can request it to be removed via eBay but it is not very likely.    You can respond to feedback, but honestly, not many people read the responses; what they look at is how many positve, neutral and negatives a user has.   As another respondent stated, you can report FEEDBACK EXTORTION.  

I read that you are thinking about allowing the return just to settle this and to be "nice."  If the item was to be returned, who will pay the shipping?  If the buyer pays the shipping, then I would probably go ahead and accept the return.  

This is a difficult one to decide on though.   One can understand the item was not tried until after the 30 day period due to being a present.  

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Hey everybody, thank you all so much for the help!  I just wanted to stop back in and update before I close the thread.  I had emailed her back and gave her my last few ideas for troubleshooting the issue, and at the end of the email I told her if nothing worked, I would take the return and refund her.

Guess what.

She got it working.  Her last email to me stated the nes was now working, but that she was "afriad it would S**t itself," and asked what I thought she should do (In other words, asking me if she should still return it even though it's working). 

I told her there was never anything wrong with the machine (as I'd said from the start), and that I was happy she had it working, and if the gmaes ever don't fire up, she probably just needs to clean the NES carts, and I even gave her a link to a video for how to do it.

She hasn't responded since, I suppose because it's working and she is happy.

I'm glad she got her kid's gift up and running, but you'd think after wasting my time for 3 days, insinuating I was a scammer, threatening to give me negative feedback, and essentially calling me a liar when I tried to troubleshoot her issue for her, she might, you know, give me some good feedback?

Nope.  Guess not.

So I blocked her and am moving on.  Thanks again, all!

Message 12 of 12
latest reply