cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer wants my address to intercept a package

Buyer used wrong address to pay but contacted me after I shipped out item already. They asked me to intercept package but I wil not do that as someone already tol me that leaves with no seller protection. Now they are asking for my address, I guess so they can intercept the package themselves. Is it okay to give to them (its a PO Box so I am not worried about somone coming to my home) or is this in violation of eBay policy since they no addresses in message center? They are getting quite insistent with frequent email. I don't want to tick anyone off and I feel bad for what seems a legitt mess up on their part.

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

@gatechick15 wrote:

They are getting quite insistent with frequent email.

That's a red flag by itself.  They're trying to get you flustered and pressure you into doing what they want.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 2 of 12
latest reply

I don't get how that would leave no seller protection? By all means, retrieve the package if you can!! Then just cancel the existing postage (you'll get reimbursed), get the correct address and resend!

I believe your address appears on the invoice anyway ,,,but I don't get why the buyer is asking for it.  Could be a scammer? Ask them why they need your address and then just direct them to their invoice if they keep insisting.

If the package is already in transit....I think you would have to go to your P.O. to request that they receiving P.O. hold the package from delivery and forward to the correct address.

Good luck!!

Keep it simple 🙂

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

No seller protection because you have to deliver the package to the address provided at checkout. This address was not provided at checkout so having the package intercepted and shipped elsewhere would violate policy.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

The package has already been shipped. The OP will NOT be reimbursed for the postage.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Really the question is should I give her my address? I'm confused about this part. If she wants to intercept the package herself am I held responsible? I don't want to violate eBay policies if I am not supposed to give my address out in a message and I also do not want to be out money if I do give it and they intercept and I am somehow held responsible for package not goign to the address in checkout.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

@gatechick15 wrote:

Really the question is should I give her my address? I'm confused about this part. If she wants to intercept the package herself am I held responsible? I don't want to violate eBay policies if I am not supposed to give my address out in a message and I also do not want to be out money if I do give it and they intercept and I am somehow held responsible for package not goign to the address in checkout.

Do not give your address to her. You are responsible for intercepting the package, not the buyer. It is a violation to give out your address btw. 

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

That is what I was asking. Thank you. I know eBay says it is a violation to give out your address. I wasn't sure in this case since I think the buyer legitimately just forgot to update their address. I just wanted to clarify it. I will just ignore any future emails. Not sure what to do for her. I already suggested forwarding mail.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

USPS only allows the sender to intercept a package.  Giving the buyer your address would not help anyway.

If you were to intercept the package (which has a fee, and is not guaranteed so be sure it is worth it) you should have it returned to you and not forwarded to a different buyer address.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

How much money are you talking about?

The Race is over
The Rats won.
Message 10 of 12
latest reply

If someone more knowledgeable can correct me if I'm wrong, please do.

If I understand eBay policy correctly, it is a violation to give your address to buyers in the messaging center. http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/rfe-spam-ov.html  So I wouldn't go there if I were you.

I also wouldn't intercept the package. Seller are required to ship only to the address on checkout page. Shipping to another address after the buyer already paid leaves you with no seller protection I would assume the same if you intercept it. This one I am not as clear about when it comes to intercepting. Maybe try contacting customer service? I doubt they can help you though.

If the buyer tries to open an item not received case after its delivered,  just enter the tracking number in the case and it should close in your favor. If they leave feedback, I think you can get it removed,  as they will have violated eBay Money back policy by asking you to ship elsewhere.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply