cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer return multiple items but didn't put the expensive one back in display case

Hello, I am having problem with this buyer who bought multiple items from me and now returning some, but one item (a large 46 carats natural opal)is very expensive and was in a display case.  I wrapped that opal with the case very carefully with bubble wrap, and then put it in a jewelry box then wrapped it again in bubble before ship out along with other items.  She kept buy ultiple items at multiple times instead of just see if she like the first purchase or not.  

Then one day, she told me she just got in the office and check the items I shipped to her, and she has to return some.  I apology that she was not happy with these items and asked if she can give me the name of each one of them so I can either find a better one to replace them or if I can't find one I can then refund her.  She didn't tell me which item but told me whe will ship them following Monday.  She also told me don't worry about it,  said just credit her and she will just trade off with my other items.  So I was relieved and wait for her to ship them back to me, or request for return.

She did not ship out the following Monday, but waited later.  Items she bought from me was on July 10, and I received them about 10 days ago. Two weeks return deadline.

She didn't ask for return request, but one day I received the package came from her.  I openned up and found, instead of return the opal with the display case together, she wrapped the opal in a some kind of stiff plastic and then put back into the jewelry box that I packed it in.  So I emailed her that I was shock to see this many pieces return and wasn't aware this many, but most importantly, the opal I ship to her inside the display case but it was not in it.  she told me the box was crush and the display case was damaged.  And I just take 10% off all the returned items and refund her the rest.

I then explained to her that the box can't be crush because she return the opal in the same box that was packed in, and I like to have my display case back.  She didnt' reponse to that but that she will give me good feedback if I refund all her money or she will go to eBay.

Next email she complaint that my picture doen't look like the tanzanite she bought from me.  She sent me picture of a 3.58 carats tanzanite I listed for $900.00 (also my private collection) and said her 4.85 carats, purchased for $300.00 should be looking like that.  I sent her both pictures so she can see the different as the 4.85 carats not as deep and quality also not as good as $3.58 carats.  She had no response other than stated she waited for refund.

How should I handle this case? 

Thanks

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Buyer return multiple items but didn't put the expensive one back in display case

I am confused at best.

Was expensive opal returned or not. And how was it returned.  Not clear.

You jump to Tanzanite the one buyer has but you somehow managed to send picture of to her.

Make your story shorter and to the point...

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Re: Buyer return multiple items but didn't put the expensive one back in display case

The first thing you should do is block this buyer IMMEDIATELY if you haven't already. 

If all you lost in this mess was a display box consider yourself lucky because your buyer sounds like an absolute nightmare and this involves expensive items. 

I'd just refund her for all the transactions for the items she returned.  She has already paid for return shipping (or so it sounds) so that is at least a good thing.   

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Was expensive opal returned or not. And how was it returned.  Not clear.

I think it was.  Sounds like it was in a display case that was inside of another box which wasn't damaged, but the buyer claims the display case inside was and didn't return it. 

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

One of the reasons I stopped dealing in gemstones here. Only I was on the other end. I made some small purchases with a seller that turned out well. Good deals, nice quality. Got suckered when they messaged me (yes through eBay) that she just had a cancer diagnosis. They were folding the business and offering the remaining inventory in one large lot. Took pictures of some pieces and ran a list of others. I won the lot and when I received it the good pieces were there but the rest was junk. chipped and broken stones HIGHLY included stones. Chains and settings were not the metal content listed and EVERYTHING, save those prepared for photos REAKED of cigarette smoke and cases and bags actually sticky with residue from heavy smokers.

I don't even want to admit to the price paid.  It was pretty early days of eBay and a return wasn't possible as they went NARU and letters written to them were returned GNO (gone no forwarding order).

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

The opal was return, without the display case. She told me the display was crushed through the shipping so it wasn't return. The opal was wrap in a stiff plastic put back in the box which was used to pack the opal that was in the display. I know for a fact the display was not crushed since the box I used to pack in in was in perfect condition. When I point it out to her, she never response to it.
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

I sold jewelries and gemstones all over the world and many of my customers either repeat customers or buy to resale. It shown on my feedback's. I felt this customer had buyer's remorse. If it was me, I just buy one item from a seller I don't know, then will buy again if I am happy with the purchase. When I told her my displace didn't come back with opal, she told me if I refund her for the purchase, she will give me positive feedback. First she said I just credit the amount and she will trade with me for it. Then she said take 10% off everything, and then she said refund her the whole amount but did not mention my display for the opal. At the same time, I checked she gave someone a negative feedback for an item she bought worth $12,000.+, didn't get item and didn't get refund fast enough. So, not all gemstones sellers are dishonest. And I am disable and want to sell off my inventory so I can close my shop. No, I don't' have cancer, but my diseases are insidious, some good day and some bad. And now it's gotten worse I want to sell off so I can close my shop and move close to my children and grandchildren. Even so, I still let my customers know if they are not happy with their purchase, just let me know and I will arrange for return and 100% purchase will be refund. I am a buyer too, and never have cheated anyone as you can see through my feedback's.
Message 7 of 9
latest reply

I thought I gave each scenario through each paragraph. I figured if I didn't point it all out, it would be so confusing.
The tanzanite was part of her complaint and I use it as an example, she bought a much bigger stone for less than half price of the smaller stone, and she want her stone color to look like the more expensive one. That's why I sent her two pictures for comparison. One picture of expensive but smaller stone, and one picture is of the much larger stone which she bought so she can see the different in listing and color. It would be much more confuse if I get to the point and leave out relevant information
Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Can I block her without reslution?  Now she request to return some more saying items not matching description.  I just feel she's dishonest kept my display for the opal and return opal, told me the display was damaged because the box it was in was crushed.  yet, she actually put the opal back in the same box and wrap it in hard plastic which could scrath the opal and it is expensive on.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply