cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer requested a return after using it and claimed it’s damaged.

Hello, 

I need some advice please. My buyer just requested to return an item which was delivered 28 days ago. My posting indicates no return.  He claims the item is damaged and not normal. It’s a camera lens and there’s condensation formed inside the lens after he used it. The lens is in perfect shape, like new. No previous damage. I explained to him that it’s normal for lenses to do that when used under certain climates with temperature changes. Manual said it’s normal and I called manufacturer about it and they said it’s normal. The buyer refused to accept that and just wants to return the item or will open a dispute case. I offered him a partial refund as good service, but he’s gone silent on me for 2 days.  I feel like I’m being scammed.  Or he changed his mind about the item. Who would eBay lean towards on the case verdict? should I just give up what I believe is right in principle and accept a used damaged item? Thanks for any advise. Vince

Message 1 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

Re: Buyer requested a return after using it and claimed it’s damaged.

@vintx05 

OK, I have to say, you must be doing more than a few things right if you have been selling here for 14-years!  Kudos.

But, 14-years without having to deal with a return?  You have been VERY lucky!  Run out I buy a lotto ticket?  laughing

Returns are a business challenge so with your experience and some learning curve challenges you should be able to master this too! 

Let us know what you get back and if need be we can advise on steps IF fraud happens!

Message 16 of 28
latest reply

Yes, it is absolutely normal. But so far what I hear in this community, eBay cares about buyers more than sellers. I’m afraid eBay will swing the verdict to buyer’s favor. I don’t want to risk of losing the lens and money, all because of my pride and principles. When I said damage, I was referring to the words used by the buyer. I still need to inspect the lens upon receipt to confirm. If he’s lying, then I can sell it at the same price, and I’ll report the buyer. If there are signs of abuse and damage from whatever he did to it, I’m going to appeal. If that doesn’t work, then I have to pay to fix whatever it needs before I can sell it. Do you think this is the right approach? Anything else I could do here?
Thanks!
Message 17 of 28
latest reply

Thank you so much again. You guys are great here.
Message 18 of 28
latest reply

You are being scammed just we have been gettin that's why I am no longer going to sell used or antique items here will sell them on another site like proxy bid.Ebay does not care buyers get their money each and every time with each and every lie they tell to get good honest seller to pay the return shipping.Happens all the time I call ebay and they just don't care.Lost 1800,00 last summer because of a buyers lie even with youtube video of items and many photo's showing conditions.You out of luck if you sell here ebay said in these EXACT words "its the price of doing business here" so suck it up or leave...nice huh glad I am appreciated here...not
Message 19 of 28
latest reply

I recommend recording the items unboxing when/if you do receive it back.  I get a few returns a month and some of those just end up not shipping it back after I provide a label.  I record all my returns because there are a lot of scammers out there.  There are a lot of great buyers as well but the scammers are the one's that I remember.  once the deal is done add this buyer to your blocked list so they can't buy from you again (without setting up a new account)

Ebay always sides with the buyer, I had someone return a new LED light that was obviously dropped into a saltwater tank.  The buyer even left positive feedback that said "Great seller, light works perfect".  When I got it back it smelled like it was previously on fire and the board was corroded.  I denied the return and asked ebay to step in, and called them.  30 seconds later the buyer had a full refund from my account.  in the end ebay gave me my money back because of the feedback left but it still **bleep** me off that this guy got his money back.  

This sounds like someone that needed a lens for a vacation and they don't want to pay for it (rental lens).  you're never going to reason with them.  

Message 20 of 28
latest reply

When i get as big as Walmart i'll be sure to do the same.

Message 21 of 28
latest reply

Agreed!
Message 22 of 28
latest reply

forget with ebay will be on the buyers side. no justice
Message 23 of 28
latest reply

After you receive your item back and everything checks out don't forget to report your buyer for misuse of the return system.
Message 24 of 28
latest reply

I absolutely will. Thanks!
Message 25 of 28
latest reply

Hello again Community,

Wanted to give everyone an update on what's going on with my ordeal, and yes, I need more advice again please 😞

So I just received the lens back today and to my shock and horror, the lens received is in pretty bad "used" condition, with dents and scratches scattered over the lens. The lens had a minor sign of wetness upon twisting the barrels and I see drops of water stuck inside the lens, which I truly swear was perfect clean when shipped. I documented the unboxing with video and took pictures of every scratch and dent!  I definitely cannot sell this as perfect like-new condition any more. Worst of all, it's missing the original retail box, missing all packing materials and papers, missing carrying strap, and missing original Best Buy sales receipt to proof it's a US product.  Plus, the carrying case has water/liquid damage as well.  I contacted the manufacturer about repair and it's priced at $400 + shipping to evaluate the "damage", whatever that might be.  I'm posting all the photos I took on the open return case.  What should I do now / next?  Should I wait 2 days for the refund to happen, then file an appeal case, or is that too late?  I desperately need advice! Thank you.

Message 26 of 28
latest reply

Wrong thread.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 27 of 28
latest reply

Sorry, newbie here. Just started a new tread. Thanks.
Message 28 of 28
latest reply