cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer requested a return after using it and claimed it’s damaged.

Hello, 

I need some advice please. My buyer just requested to return an item which was delivered 28 days ago. My posting indicates no return.  He claims the item is damaged and not normal. It’s a camera lens and there’s condensation formed inside the lens after he used it. The lens is in perfect shape, like new. No previous damage. I explained to him that it’s normal for lenses to do that when used under certain climates with temperature changes. Manual said it’s normal and I called manufacturer about it and they said it’s normal. The buyer refused to accept that and just wants to return the item or will open a dispute case. I offered him a partial refund as good service, but he’s gone silent on me for 2 days.  I feel like I’m being scammed.  Or he changed his mind about the item. Who would eBay lean towards on the case verdict? should I just give up what I believe is right in principle and accept a used damaged item? Thanks for any advise. Vince

Message 1 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

Re: Buyer requested a return after using it and claimed it’s damaged.

If he opens a not as described case, he would probably win. If he does, best to offer refund after return.Dont wait until Ebay steps in,( I think its three days) or they will refund him and you wont get the lens back, and you will also get a defect for no seller resolution..sorry.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 2 of 28
latest reply

Stop trying to contact them. If they haven't opened a case yet they won't be able to on ebay  30 days after the last estimated arrival date.

If they contact you again, delay them.

Message 3 of 28
latest reply

Thanks for the quick reply. I feel helpless because I know the item is perfect, but who knows after 4 weeks of use.
He opened a “item is defective” return. I’m guessing the outcome would be the same for “not as described”?
Message 4 of 28
latest reply

Thanks for the reply. I didn’t know this.
When you say “haven’t opened a case”, do you mean “opened a return request”, or “opened an eBay dispute case”? He did start the return process 2 days ago, which would be the 30th day of receiving the item.
Thanks!
Message 5 of 28
latest reply

Yes the same..did you get an Ebay notice that he opened a case, and how long you have to respond?

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 6 of 28
latest reply

I see. Yes I did get a notice. I have until tonight to accept the return, or he might open a dispute.
Should I risk it and hope for the best, or I’m thinking offering his the free return and I can just deduct 50% of the refund?
Message 7 of 28
latest reply

you can only deduct from his refund if you offered free returns on the listing.i cant tell you what to do, but if it was me, I would accept the return, because these cases never end well for the seller.

Message 8 of 28
latest reply

You have to be signed up for 'free returns' before you sold it; and the 50% is if they return something that is used to a point of no resale, not just 'because'- and these 50% deals will be limited (those that abuse them will find out). You need to respond allowing the customer to return it (and issue a label if they opened a INAD or ebay will close it, refund the customer and not force them to return your item. 

Message 9 of 28
latest reply

Wow. Win win for buyers. Not so good to be a seller 😞
Message 10 of 28
latest reply

The internet sales business is evolving so that all parties involved are 100% customer oriented to please the customer, so they will have a good experience, even more-so, on a return. 

When you return something at Walmart, they don't give you grief, they just take it back. This is what all internet selling platforms want their sellers to mimic. 

Message 11 of 28
latest reply

Hi vintx......by all means, accept the return and the reality of sales.  You said yourself the item is not defective, and it wasn't new to begin with (like-new), so getting the item back and re-selling it should not cause you to lower the price at all for any new sale.  Best of luck!

-Dippitydoo

Message 12 of 28
latest reply

@vintx05 wrote:
I see. Yes I did get a notice. I have until tonight to accept the return, or he might open a dispute.
Should I risk it and hope for the best, or I’m thinking offering his the free return and I can just deduct 50% of the refund?

@vintx05 
You are just not getting it!   Let me be clear.

ACCEPT THE RETURN!

Do it NOW!!!!!

Hey it is your choice, but if you fail to accept the return the buyer will ask eBay to step in and eBay will either send the buyer a prepaid return label from your funds or issue a FULL refund to the buyer and NOT require the buyer return the lens (Maximum Loss!)  PLUS you will get an unresolved case DEFECT on your account!

You need to get your head around the fact that returns are part of the selling process and when a return happens you are going to lose  money!  What you do when a return happens determines how much money you are going to lose.

So get past this basic step!  THEN we can talk about other things you can do, ways you should structure your business for returns and what to do if a box of rocks comes back and  not the lens.

Message 13 of 28
latest reply

Thanks for the great tips everyone. You guys are more helpful than CS.
Well, he claims it’s damaged, and this is the biggest reason I refused to take it back. It was perfect before. As a seller, I feel like I’m not protected when or if the buyer unintentionally damaged it during use, and now putting the blame on me. If it is damaged, now I can’t sell it like new. Instead, I have to repair it first or sell it cheap 😞 either way is a big lost, because the item is a very high dollar item.
Anyway, I just accepted the return tonight. We’ll see. If the condition is not like how I sent to him, then I’ll appeal on this case! This is my first ever return case in 14 years. Always sold items with honesty and integrity. Bad luck 😞
Message 14 of 28
latest reply

But you said in your op that it was normal for the lens to fog up, that doesnt mean its damaged does it?

Message 15 of 28
latest reply