cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer purchased item - misread description and wants to cancel. But he started a "return" instead?

I have a buyer who purchased an item, he confused my description with another listing and purchased mine by mistake. I boxed it up and printed a shipping label and was ready to ship and buyer notified me of his mistake - lucky it hadn't shipped yet.

I asked him to send a cancel request on the order. He was agreeable to pay the Paypal fees so I was going to do a partial refund.  But he started a "Return" process instead. The problem is I have no way to issue a partial refund (to cover the Paypal fees) on a return.  It states "buyer keeps item" on partial refunds (of course I still have the item, but it seems confusing)

What's the  best way to handle this.  Cancel the "return" and start a cancellation instead?  I assume I can do a partial refund on a cancellation?  Just not sure what to do - I'm a occasional seller and need some help!

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: Buyer purchased item - misread description and wants to cancel. But he started a "return&qu

Just cancel the order and use the reason - buyer requested!  If you do anything else you are setting yourself up for a bunch of head aches and more work!

Then again, if you told them to start a "return" that was bad advice.  They can not return something they don't have.  It is easier to just cancel the order when requested.  Hope that open return request doesn't block you from canceling the sale.

If you had canceled you would get you fees back, all but 30-cents (PayPal or Transaction fee).  That is lost.  But it is better than the buyer filing a charge back against you and the CC company taking the money back from you and charging you a $20 fee on top of that!

Don't be penny wise and pound foolish!

There are costs to selling that a lot don't consider: returns, refunds, order cancellations are just part of it.  Budget for those and set some money aside for when 'returns happen." 

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Re: Buyer purchased item - misread description and wants to cancel. But he started a "return&qu

@homemn Since you are an occasional seller you really need to read up on the TOS and become more familiar with the policies on this platform. This is for your own benefit as several errors were done here that were easily avoidable. 

Buyers cannot cancel orders, if that were the case most sales would never go through. Only the seller can cancel so you were incorrect in asking the buyer to cancel, hence you have inadvertently created a difficult situation with a refund case now. 

You cannot cancel now because a refund case has been opened. Sellers cannot cancel refund requests or there would never be any returns on here. Buyer has nothing to return so this is quite a dilemma now. 

Since the buyer is working with you and was agreeable to paying some fees, I'm wondering if you should allow the return to go through. Since buyer cannot actually return the item it will close eventually in your benefit. Then you could issue a refund to the buyer for the amount. 

If buyer stops working with you they could elevate this to eBay in which the automatic return system may favor the buyer and issue a full refund to them. That's not so bad because you still have the item, but you would lose your fees. That is minimal in the end and it would work out for your both to close this. 

See if someone else has a better suggestion for you. These are the scenarios that pop for me. Best of luck to you....

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

I will clarify that I asked the buyer to send a "cancellation" request.  I've seen this option under "contact the seller"  and selecting  "ask to cancel" option.  But of course I won't do that again seeing what happened here.  

More info on the sale - it's a "Sold for Parts" item and the buyer selected "changed mind" as reason for return. So I don't have to accept the return (even though it's not a real return if he never received it!). This appears to be glitch in the system - shouldn't really offer a return option when it never was fully shipped or received yet!  

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

@homemn wrote:

But he started a "Return" process instead. The problem is I have no way to issue a partial refund (to cover the Paypal fees) on a return. 

It states "buyer keeps item" on partial refunds (of course I still have the item, but it seems confusing)

What's the  best way to handle this.

Nope, offering a partial refund from the list of options is correct.

5sufdhubvzfugvuzosdgfoofd.jpg

You offer a partial refund instead of a return, the buyer accepts, and the return closes. All done.

5sbnfdpnbppnzfdznfbdnz[odn.jpg

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

I could select a partial return "and buyer keeps item", but it really rubs me wrong that it states buyer can keep the item (even though he never received it to keep it!).  And, it's a "sold as parts" item and buyer chose "purchased by mistake" as reason for return. If that's the best solution, I'll pick it. Just want to make sure there isn't a better option and "the buyer can keep it" won't cause even further issues.  Question though will I receive my Ebay fees back doing it this way?

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

What would happen if I asked the buyer to cancel the return.  Would that open up the "cancel this order" option again?  Even if this works, will I be able to offer a partial refund on a "cancel this order"?  The item is worth $250, so I would like my fees from Ebay and Paypal back if possible. 

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

@homemn Cancel this order should no longer be an option after a return case has been opened, but as you said the system isn't without fault. Buyer should still be able to cancel the return case but that wouldn't open an opportunity for seller to cancel. Also PP stopped refunding fees quite a while ago regardless if it's a legit return or not. If you do a partial refund then you should get at least part of your fees returned from eBay, but that remains to be seen as they aren't too keen on issuing credits. 

Because buyer chose changed my mind, that is considered a remorse return so you may be able to refuse the return. I believe it depends on what your return policy was. I get that you don't want to accept the return because buyer doesn't actually have the item to return but keep in mind the system is flawed at best. Sometimes we need to find a way to make it work for ourselves. What you have working for you is the buyer is being honest and seems reliable. 

If I were you, I would do the partial refund minus fees. Return should then close, buyer gets money back- minus fees, so all should work out in the end. Best of luck to you....

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

@homemn 

I would just refund the buyer without returning.

You'll loose a little bit on the Pay Pal fee's, but your Ebay fee's will be refunded.

Have a great day
Message 9 of 15
latest reply

Well this is a bigger mess than I thought.  I tried to refund the buyer minus my paypal fees, but since he chose "bought my mistake", it automatically takes out the shipping charges from his refund (but of course it never shipped!).  The shipping charges are about $20 but we both agreed it's fair enough to cover the Paypal fees and hassle.  We have an agreement so I try to send the refund.  Checked it a little later and found an error with refund - states to try again later. I keep trying, but still fails.  Back and forth with the buyer, he is checking , he accepted the refund, but it errors on his side stating he needs to contact the Seller!  I called Ebay, and you can image the conversation - nothing got resolved but a lot of bad advice.  They asked to have the buyer contact Ebay to cancel the "Return" - that didn't work either.  So hours later, this is still in limbo. At this point we have no choice but to wait 3 days for Ebay to "step in" and make a decision!  Unbelievable!

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

This all could have been prevented if eBay had something in the system to prevent  buyers from opening a "return" before they actually received the item! In this case, even before it shipped!

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

@homemn wrote:

This all could have been prevented if eBay had something in the system to prevent  buyers from opening a "return" before they actually received the item! In this case, even before it shipped!

@homemn 

Well I can see you are upset, and the system is flawed but often you need to lead the buyer to  the right thing or just cancel the sale, using the emails as "evidence" of a buyer request.   No need for a "formal process" and it looks like that is where things went south in this transaction. 

But, stuff like this stinks when it happens, but hey you are not alone, it happens to all sellers eventually.  So chalk  this up to "tuition paid" and you learned something.  Also suggest you set up a contingency fund to "pay for" these extra hidden "costs" of selling.  I know for me, these 'costs' were a shock and a hardship until I set up my Cookie Jar Fund.  Now I just "pay for" the fees, shipping , etc when  they happen.

But the good that comes out of this is that you found the Community and now can come here and ask for help when something happens!  So many don't find us, so that puts you head and shoulders above the rest!

Good luck with your selling!

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

Hi didn't tell them to start a "return"!!!!

He said he asked them to submit a "Request to Cancel",

which is EXACTLY what eBay's help says to do!!!

Have you ever tried to get a customer to do that?

HA! Oh brother!  I just went through this.

Customer wouldn't (or couldn't?) ...  so I needed to ship (or get

docked for that)!  So I just canceled it and selected "buyer's request".

But I thought we weren't supposed to do that anymore.

And that's not the procedure outlined in help... so ???

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

@homemn Since you are an occasional seller you really need to read up on the TOS and become more familiar with the policies on this platform. This is for your own benefit as several errors were done here that were easily avoidable. 

Uhhhhh.....     I think that YOU are just a little bit RUDE!

Especially since apparently YOU need to become more familiar with

the policies on this platform!!   Cuz he did EXACTLY what he was supposed 

to do...   per ebay's help!!   Yeah!   He made NO errors, in fact!

('read up on the TOS'! Oh brother!      wth does TOS stand for anyway?)

HE DIDN'T ASK THEM TO CANCEL THE ORDER!

HE ASKED THEM TO SUBMIT A  "Request to Cancel",

which is EXACTLY WHAT EBAY'S HELP SAYS TO DO!

It IS confusing (especially to the customer)!

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

He there!  I don't know what the heck was wrong with these people on here on 3/1,

(something in the air?) ...because they sure weren't reading what you said!!  haha!

You did EXACTLY what eBay's help says to do.

And, yes, it IS confusing...   because the customer has NO IDEA what you're talking about! 

I just went through this. I copied & pasted the ebay help page / instructions into my msg ...

4 very simple steps.  But ...  nothing. 

So, NOW  I have to ship it... or take a hit for late shipping?  So I just cancelled it and selected (at buyers request), which I thought we weren't supposed to do anymore.  But, FIVE freaking messages

telling a customer how to submit an official Request to Cancel order is ridiculous!

What'cha gonna do?!

Anywhoooo...   Just thought I'd empathize with you!  haha!  Best wishes to you!

Message 15 of 15
latest reply