cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer filed a dispute with paypal for item they admitted worked, but them didn't work after a week

I sold a Netgear modem on eBay. The buyer opened a return on eBay right away because the Mac id was being used still by my old company so his cable company couldn’t activate it for him. After I contacted NetGear and my old cable company, I was able to get both companies to release and reset everything so I could allow someone else to use it under their account. The buyer then closed the return he had opened earlier stating his cable company was now able to activate it under his account and it was working great. Then, seven days later, he messages me again and said its now not working anymore and he doesn’t know why and wants to return it. He filed a dispute with PayPal since he couldn't reopen the return thru ebay. I don’t know what to do. The modem was in working condition when I sent it, and also, he admitted that it had worked for awhile. Am I responsible in this case? I don’t know how someone breaks a modem, but I don’t know that I could ask for proof of it being broken because I am not sure how he could provide that. Will Paypal make me refund this?

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Buyer filed a dispute with paypal for item they admitted worked, but them didn't work after a we

@jazzyjazz6 wrote:

Will Paypal make me refund this?

Yes.

Pay Pal gives a buyer 180 days to file a claim.

The good part, you won't have to pay return shipping.

Have a great day

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Buyer filed a dispute with paypal for item they admitted worked, but them didn't work after a we

Yes, you are still responsible and PayPal probably will refund him. I think he is still within your stated return period, so if it was me, I'd ask him to return the modem and offer his refund upon your receipt.  Don't let the time expire for your response. 

@jazzyjazz6 wrote:

Will Paypal make me refund this?

Yes.

Pay Pal gives a buyer 180 days to file a claim.

The good part, you won't have to pay return shipping.

Have a great day
Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Yes, PayPal always often supports the guilty party. I've had them side with a company that I ordered something from (not Ebay) and used PayPal as payment. Well, the seller wanted me to send them a photo ID for a $25 purchase, which I thought was insane, so I requested a refund. They refused so I put a claim in with PayPal. In the correspondence with the seller, they admitted to PayPal of not refunding my money and also to not having sent the product I paid for. PayPal sided with this seller and let them keep my money.

Does anyone know if there is a service Sellers can use other than PayPal for Ebay? I thought they were cutting ties with PayPal? Surely, something should replace it?

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

@emplehod-sales wrote:

Well, the seller wanted me to send them a photo ID for a $25 purchase, which I thought was insane, so I requested a refund. They refused so I put a claim in with PayPal.

In the correspondence with the seller, they admitted to PayPal of not refunding my money and also to not having sent the product I paid for. PayPal sided with this seller and let them keep my money.

Does anyone know if there is a service Sellers can use other than PayPal for Ebay? I thought they were cutting ties with PayPal? Surely, something should replace it?

Your story is the opposite of the OP's situation. Adyen is replacing PayPal at eBay Checkout to accept credit/debit cards. It's cheaper than PayPal, because it's overseas, and more secure, because now your privacy goes overseas.

You opened the wrong dispute. Don't overthink the irrelevant photo ID. Simply, if the seller can't provide tracking that shows Delivered for a digital item, you get a refund.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Not with PayPal, they don't. Not only did the seller not provide the product, they told PayPal they did not. They still got to keep my money.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Yes,  both Paypal and Ebay will require you to accept a return or refund.  It's got to work as long as there is a money back guarantee or  Paypal buyer protection exists.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

If you mean digital as in "virtual" items, then PayPal does not cover those at all.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply