cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer dropped and broke New light, now eBay forces return?

I sold a brand new spotlight, in original packaging, double boxed.  The buyer obviously dropped it (scuff marks on body) and forced it open (pry marks in plastic housing).  It looks completely different than the condition that it shipped (pictures in listing).  Do I have any options?  I have been reading horror stories of no seller protection now that I finally tried to sell something of value on eBay.  I am afraid I made the wrong choice coming to eBay and will have to eat the loss.  Thanks for advice!

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Buyer dropped and broke New light, now eBay forces return?

Sorry this happened.  Most buyers on eBay are honest, and most sales are pleasant experiences.

Let me start off by saying that a helpful attitude in these situations is to view eBay as your enemy, and not the buyer ... the buyer is simply trying to take advantage of liberal return policies that eBay established and enforces.  I say this simply because it is rarely productive to get into a battle with a dishonest customer ... they just heap more dishonesty on the situation.  Focus your energies on eBay.

Your situation is not hopeless.  I am assuming that you have not yet refunded the money, correct?

Possibility #1 - The buyer has admitted in eBay messages to dropping the light, prying open the light, installing the light, etc.  They cannot do this and get a refund.  If this is the case, I would go ahead and call eBay customer service and point out these messages to the Customer Service representative ... you should win this case, and not have to refund.

Possibility #2 - The buyer is claiming that the light arrived damaged/broken ... that is, it was damaged in shipping.  If this was sent first class (as your listing says) without insurance, then there isn't much you can do.  You could, like #1, complain to eBay, but they are going to side with the buyer most every time on a shipping damage claim.  They will tell you that it is your responsibility to pack well, insure, la la la la la.

Possibility #3 - (Similar to #1 ... you are trying to win based on the buyer opening up the light, solely on the evidence of the photographs).  This is a long shot, but thought I would mention it.

If the buyer's photographs clearly show damage due to opening it up, and your pre-shipment photographs do not have that damage, you can challenge the return claim  <<<OR>>> the buyer's photographs are of an entirely different light ... that is, the buyer is attempting to commit "switch fraud" (this is where a buyer purchases a working item, and returns a damaged or defective identical item that was previously owned)
       Based on photographs alone, y
ou will likely lose on the initial claim simply because in "he-said, she-said" cases, the buyer is most always rewarded with the refund.  However, your strategy here would be to appeal the initial decision and escalate it up to someone who actually can make a reasonable assessment ... a supervisor or other very experienced customer service representative.   Your success will really depend on who you get.

Keep in mind, if you challenge a return and lose (exhausting all appeals), eBay will punish you with a "seller defect" and they will not refund the fees that they collected on the sale (about $40-45 in your case).

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

more details are needed. Was there a return period for the item. Was the item sold no return?

How long did the buyer have the item.

Was the item insured during transit?

Is the buyer claiming it was damaged in transit.

Does the buyer have the original packaging.

Does the item have a serial number (most higher cost assemblies have manufacture serial numbers)

Does the serial number of the damaged expensive light match

Etc Etc Etc

Wife is calling me so I have to run. Provide some of the above details and other posters should be able to give you good direction.

Cheers

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Thanks for the help!

I did not offer a return, as the item was brand new.  eBay authorized the buyer to return because he claimed it was "Not as described".  eBay then refunded the money from my account.

No, was not insured.

Is the buyer claiming it was damaged in transit.   Yes.

Does the buyer have the original packaging.  Yes.

Does the item have a serial number (most higher cost assemblies have manufacture serial numbers) .Yes

Does the serial number of the damaged expensive light match.  Yes

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Clarification, he returned it to me using the original packing.   That was the manufacturer's packaging, which I then wrapped in bubble wrap, and double boxed.  Neither box was damaged.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Clarification, he returned it to me using the original packing.   That was the manufacturer's packaging, which I then wrapped in bubble wrap, and double boxed.  Neither box was damaged.
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

If you don't issue a full refund, eBay will do it for you and give you a defect.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

@pcn65 wrote:

Thanks for the help!

I did not offer a return, as the item was brand new.  eBay authorized the buyer to return because he claimed it was "Not as described".  eBay then refunded the money from my account.

No, was not insured.

Is the buyer claiming it was damaged in transit.   Yes.

Does the buyer have the original packaging.  Yes.

Does the item have a serial number (most higher cost assemblies have manufacture serial numbers) .Yes

Does the serial number of the damaged expensive light match.  Yes

We see this ALL the time, Seller has a "no returns" policy and therefore doesn't issue a refund nor approve it when the buyer files a SNAD case.  Not trying to be difficult here, but the policies on returns are clear.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/managing-returns-refunds/handling-return-requests?id=4115

But to keep it simple we sellers around here have a mantra:

You can refuse returns, you can not refuse refunds!

Other issue is that by not approving the return, and eBay having to step in and approved the refund, eBay gives you a defect on your selling account.   Too many defects......  raised selling costs, account restrictions or account suspension are possible.

How you deal with this as a seller?

1)  Recognize fraud, theft and loss is all part of the retail "selling experience." 

2)  As a thoughtful and responsible business owner one makes plans and contingencies for #1

• create a self insurance fund (cookie jar fund)
  • Understand how the eBay returns work
  • understand the options available for dealing with potential fraudster

Good luck!

Message 8 of 8
latest reply