cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer did not pay customs duties, shipment returned - what do I need for eBay to rule in my favour?

Dear community, asking for your advice here.
I had an international order, a $300 item and the shipment was returned by FedEx because the buyer did not pay the import duties. It appears the buyer will lose their buyer’s protection when that happens but how does eBay determine the duties weren’t paid. I am willing to refund the buyer after the shipping both ways and any other fees is deducted but I don't want to be in a position where eBay forces a full refund on me.

And before anyone asks I'm not based in the US so I can't ship with eBay's International Shipping program, if I could I would to avoid dealing with complications like this.

The tracking doesn’t explicitly state that the duties weren’t paid, it shows that the shipment had an "International shipment release - Import" and then arrives at the buyers location and sits for 7 days before being returned to shipper. I had to phone Fedex to find out why the shipment was being returned to sender.

I’m assuming eBay will also want to check the shipping details matched the order address/contact details?

The buyer has stated they will ask eBay for a refund because the order was not delivered.
What’s the best way to deal with this, has anyone experienced this and can give some insight as to the process?

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Re: Buyer did not pay customs duties, shipment returned - what do I need for eBay to rule in my favo

Hi @an-36344 , thanks for the reply, I truly hope that is what will transpire because arguing with the bot and trying to escalate matters with eBay is often challenging to say the least and this issue has already cost me an enormous amount of time trying to ensure I don't get reamed by both eBay and Fedex.

Message 16 of 19
latest reply

Re: Buyer did not pay customs duties, shipment returned - what do I need for eBay to rule in my favo

@an-36344 wrote:

When the buyer starts an Item Not Received refund request, upload the original FedEx tracking number 

an36344_0-1692810811879.jpeg

Be sure to add that original tracking number @wills686 otherwise the buyer can get their payment back.

Message 17 of 19
latest reply

Thanks @an-36344  I will make sure to do that.
Do I just need to sit tight till the seller opens a case, I'm assuming there is nothing else I can do in the meantime?

Message 18 of 19
latest reply

@sumbantoo wrote:

Thanks @an-36344  I will make sure to do that.
Do I just need to sit tight till the seller opens a case, I'm assuming there is nothing else I can do in the meantime? 

Correct, that has been abusive. Do not response again, and simply wait. If it was all bluster, it might just go away.

Message 19 of 19
latest reply