cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer claims box was opened and items missing

The buyer claims package arrived opened and items are missing.

The auction was high value ($1500) and I sent via UPS with signature required.  UPS confirmed that the package arrived, it was signed for, and ID verified.  I did insure it.  Buyer claims they never signed for it and driver acknowledged it was opened.  They also claims it was poorly packed. 

What happens if buyer demand I refund?

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

If the buyer files a Missing Parts or Pieces or Not as Described dispute on eBay, you will have to accept it and pay for return shipping. Once you get it back, you'll then issue a refund. In other words, eBay will side with the buyer and force a refund. If you don't refund on time, or miss any other deadlines, you'll also get a defect. Sorry this happened to you, but that's the chance you take when selling here.

Sad to say but if they ask for refund eBay will give it to them buyers have all the power on eBay. Sorry this happened to you

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

How is the buyer going to return an item he claims was stolen?

I would ask the buyer who signed for it given you have signature confirmation it was delivered.  "dear buyer, I have access to the signature confirmation with UPS.  You tell me which one is more likely to be lying, UPS who I insured the item with, or the recipient?  I know which one I would have to report to their local police for fraud."

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

Sounds like you got scammed.  Scammers look for "high value" items that they can resell.

You will be forced to refund customer's money (even if they return an empty box).   EBAY only looks at tracking# (not what is inside the box).

You could try to file an insurance claim with UPS but I doubt  you would win.   Because there was a signature confirmation proving delivery.    If box was open and item missing upon when delivered...why did customer accept package?

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

If the box arrived opened/damaged…why did the buyer accept it?

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

This comment has been made on these boards every day and I will repeat it. Never post an item of high value  that you can not afford to give away. I am very Sorry this has happened.  These scammers can basically have anything they want. It really sucks but that's how it is.

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

I think the scamming has increased dramatically here since the pandemic really started to hit people hard financially.

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

Yes, a message that would try to deter this behavior would be worth it. I would not say Police, I would say. You accepted the package which was signed for and postal service would not have given you that package without a sticker saying it was tapered with. We will contact USPS for the copy of your signature to post to Ebay.

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

Adding, sometimes when someone who is scamming sees that the item may magically appear. OOPS.

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

It’s not the pandemic it is ebays lack of protections for sellers. They have made it very clear they are all about the buyer and care nothing about sellers

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

Report the buyer to IC3.gov

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

vintagecraze50  Yes it has.  I have only been here 3 yrs or so  and I see it clearly.  I figure at my age (57 and disabled) I will in a few years have a truck/tiny camper and float around the U.S. and hit up some of the coin shops in other states and offer to sell my Diamond Encrusted Widgets to a B&M.  I can process orders on the road if need be and NO HASSLES, FEES and EBAY what ever. That's my next gig or platform.
Message 13 of 17
latest reply

Did you actually SPEAK with UPS????

For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 14 of 17
latest reply

Yes - they offered to open an investigation but the package was delivered and signed for by the buyer AND they checked the buyer's ID to verify.  The UPS driver also signed individually that the package was delivered successfully. 

Message 15 of 17
latest reply