cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer Claims item is damaged. What to do?

The buyer of one of my items claims it is damaged when he received it and I’ve seen the pictures and it clearly was not like that when I shipped it. So I think the USPS damaged it.

What do I do? This item was worth over $200. I don’t want the item back as I can’t sell it again broken. If I issue a refund then I lose $200? If I don’t issue a refund the buyer loses $200? What happens here as I’ve never had this happen before? I want the best outcome for us both.

Thanks

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Buyer Claims item is damaged. What to do?

The buyer received it damaged. When that happens you have rwo choices. You can provide a return label and refund when it's returned, or you can refund as ask them to hang onto the package in case the carrier wants to examine it. That's  only if it was insured. If you used Priority Mail it has built in indemnity.

How did you ship?

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Ground advantage (replacement for first class pkg, and parcel select ) has same coverage as priority now.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Ask the buyer for a few pictures of the item and package, then refund the buyer.
Have the buyer hang on to the item and package so it can be inspected.
You file a claim with the carrier.

Have a great day
Message 4 of 7
latest reply

I shipped it with priority mail but I didn’t buy insurance. Is this still an issue? Is it automatically included? And if I file a claim will I get the full amount the buyer paid for the item back? Thanks

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

eBay will hold you responsible so if you don't voluntarily work things out with the buyer and the buyer files a claim, eBay will force the refund from your account.

Priority includes up to $100 insurance. Unless the outer box shows significant damage, most damage claims are denied citing insufficient packaging so be prepared for that possibility.

How exactly did you pack that Lost set @southernsuperseller ? Did you use sufficient bubble wrap?

If USPS approves your claim, you will not get a penny more than $100 since you did not purchase additional insurance to cover the cost of the item. You only get what's included if the claim is approved.

Ask the buyer to hold on to the item and all packing materials. USPS will generally require those for inspection. The request may take a few weeks to come through so ask buyer to hold until they hear from either you or USPS.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

It was well wrapped and packaged. I didn’t buy insurance so I guess a $100 is as much as I can get back. Can I have the buyer ship me me the item back to and file a claim?

Message 7 of 7
latest reply