cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are you using cubic ground advantage?

I must be the last to discover this service. I did see a notice from ebay about it being offered as an option when going to the labels page. I do not see it as a drop down choice in business policies, I guess if you wish to use it you must post it as a cost option. I use flat rate for all now as it's simple. I suppose an item could be priced as regular ground advantage then a discount offered if cubic is less?? I have a 12x12x12 weighing 14#  regular GA is just under $30 to zone 6 one of the 3rd party shippers has it for much less. Labels from ebay may be similar but I dont know yet. If you have used it I would like to hear more, thanks.

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Are you using cubic ground advantage?

I've been using cubic pricing Priority Mail on pirateship for years and cubic pricing on Ground Advantage since day one it was offered.

I've been savings Pounds more than Tuppence. Do yourself a favor. Research it and research it quickly. ANYTHING you can get to under 1/2 of a cubic foot is more than just coffee money.

For example on Pirateship 12x12x12 (1 full cubic foot) at 14 pounds to zone 6 is $14.17 GA and $31.28 PM.

(IF as you suggest you are currently paying $30.00 GA you are already being severely overcharged)

BUT 12x12x6 (i.e. 1/2 of one cubic foot)  at 1`4 pounds is $10.34 GA and $17.64 PM

AND 12z12x3 (i.e. 1/3 of one cubic foot)  at 1`4 pounds is $8.70 GA and $13.05 PM

Don't be lazy with the box size. You are only hurting yourself.

NOTICE that in every case the weight stays the same. It is the SIZE of the package that matters.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 6 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

I just used "cubic".

Item was listed at a flat rate amount for shipping.

No action for the "cubic" rate when purchasing the label other than cutting the box size down a bit.

The cheaper (cheaper than I had estimated as it was set up before "cubic")

"Cubic" rate displayed allowed me to upgrade the buyer from GA to Priority.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

@chez-desir 

Actually, you do not Opt in to Cubic rates, per the memo eBay shows you the Cubic rate if your package qualifies for it.  

How do I calculate cubic feet volume?

Multiply the package Length x Width x Height and divide by 1,728. eBay will automatically offer cubic pricing based on the package weight and dimensions you input.

How can I receive USPS cubic rates for my eBay shipments?

Simply enter accurate weight and dimensions for your package when printing your eBay shipping labels. eBay will automatically offer the best rate, and apply cubic pricing for Priority Mail and Ground Advantage if the cubic rate is better than non-cubic rates.

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

@mr_lincoln wrote:

@chez-desir 

Simply enter accurate weight and dimensions for your package when printing your eBay shipping labels. eBay will automatically offer the best rate, and apply cubic pricing for Priority Mail and Ground Advantage if the cubic rate is better than non-cubic rates.

I have been noticing this a lot on the labels lately.  Which is perfectly fine for me.  But there are times when UPS is cheaper, especially on larger boxes or heavier stuff as I found out.  I mean, 41.22 UPS vs 91.73 USPS GA...

Gator08041971  •  Volunteer Community Mentor 2024
Member of eBay since 2000

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

@gator08041971 wrote:

@mr_lincoln wrote:

@chez-desir 

I have been noticing this a lot on the labels lately.  Which is perfectly fine for me.  But there are times when UPS is cheaper, especially on larger boxes or heavier stuff as I found out.  I mean, 41.22 UPS vs 91.73 USPS GA...

@gator08041971 

I've seen it on some of my labels too.  I'm going to capture some screen shots the next time I see it on a label.

For those who have economical access to UPS then yes, some of their rates may be lower.  For my self they are too far away and have no free local pick up ... nor does FedEx.

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 5 of 10
latest reply

I've been using cubic pricing Priority Mail on pirateship for years and cubic pricing on Ground Advantage since day one it was offered.

I've been savings Pounds more than Tuppence. Do yourself a favor. Research it and research it quickly. ANYTHING you can get to under 1/2 of a cubic foot is more than just coffee money.

For example on Pirateship 12x12x12 (1 full cubic foot) at 14 pounds to zone 6 is $14.17 GA and $31.28 PM.

(IF as you suggest you are currently paying $30.00 GA you are already being severely overcharged)

BUT 12x12x6 (i.e. 1/2 of one cubic foot)  at 1`4 pounds is $10.34 GA and $17.64 PM

AND 12z12x3 (i.e. 1/3 of one cubic foot)  at 1`4 pounds is $8.70 GA and $13.05 PM

Don't be lazy with the box size. You are only hurting yourself.

NOTICE that in every case the weight stays the same. It is the SIZE of the package that matters.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

@richard1rst wrote:

It is the SIZE of the package that matters.

😁

Oh, and yes I’ve been using Cubic GA ever since USPS rolled it out. Took awhile to get used to it. But it’s a total shipping game changer for me. I hardly use the Padded Priority Mail envelopes anymore.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

@chez-desir wrote:

I must be the last to discover this service. I did see a notice from ebay about it being offered as an option when going to the labels page. I do not see it as a drop down choice in business policies .... . I suppose an item could be priced as regular ground advantage then a discount offered if cubic is less??....

Cubic isn't available as a separate option because eBay automatically shows the Cubic price in listings and in label purchase if it's applicable.  There are no retail cubic rates, so a Cubic price would show up in a listing only if you had set your site preferences to share eBay discounts with buyers.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

So many helpful answers here. When creating a listing then using the weight plus dimensions option sounds correct, BUT something still needs to display above in shipping policy. Free is an option I guess if the item price was inflated a bit. If retail cost for 14lbs was posted it seems buyers would flee. Just trying to avoid posting a mail cost as X on a listing only to find the label ended up costing X+X

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

@chez-desir wrote:

So many helpful answers here. When creating a listing then using the weight plus dimensions option sounds correct, BUT something still needs to display above in shipping policy. Free is an option I guess if the item price was inflated a bit. If retail cost for 14lbs was posted it seems buyers would flee. Just trying to avoid posting a mail cost as X on a listing only to find the label ended up costing X+X

To a large degree (although also for other reasons) that is why ALL of my listings are shown as free shipping. When I create a listing I calculate what the cubic ship price will be and use that in my calculations. You are correct that eBay shows the typical 1 cubic foot standard weight based rate which can be (as shown above) SIGNIFICANTLY and scarily higher than the actual. So, yes, I agree that a retail shipping quote can scare buyers away.

As an extra bonus the cubic price difference of nearby versus coast to coast is very much smaller than the difference for regular weight based shipping.  I use the median price. So the argument that far away buyers are being screwed over falls apart.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply