cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any recourse outside PayPal

Kinda long story, I purchased an item on eBay, paid for it via PayPal but mistakenly used a debit card on a checking account I was getting ready to close. Ended up returning the item, seller issued a credit back to PayPal. In the mean time I closed the checking account and PayPal credited the closed debit card or tried to. Now I am in a mess getting the run around from PayPal.

Bank says they returned the money to PayPal as they had no way of crediting a closed account. PayPal is just sending me canned responses to my messages that are not addressing the real problem.

Last message from PayPal basically said the seller directly credited the debit card which is an impossibility if I understand how PayPal works. This has been going on for over a month with **bleep** responses from PayPal when I ask where my money is.

Any way to get PayPal's attention so they will address the real problem and find out where the money went when the bank returned it.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: Any recourse outside PayPal

Had no idea eBay would do this but after doing some more research it looks like I have been beating on the wrong drum. Sorry PayPal looks like eBay did let the seller charge the debit card directly. I was thinking all transactions went through PayPal but looks like I was wrong and need to go another direction.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

When did you make this purchase?

Up until a few months ago, there were exceptions for certain sellers that they could process the card through Authorize.net. This means that the eBay checkout would still function, but that PayPal and eBay are not part of the money moving.

That being said, it is still an eBay Money Back Guarantee protected program meaning that you can still open a return and request a refund via eBay.

Here is the catch...Visa, MasterCard, Amex and Discover (etc...) all ONLY allow a refund to go to the exact same original payment method. If you used an old debit card, then the credit card company will only let the seller send a refund to that exact same card and only up to 100% refund (many people say "I need the seller to refund more than the purchase amount to cover shipping"...this isn't possible based on how the card networks work).

The issue is with your bank. You stated your bank states they returned the money to PayPal, you then pointed out PayPal is not part of the transaction. Make it clear a visa card was refunded on an old account. I have had this happen to me and the bank was able to locate the refund and re-route it to my new account.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

@thehonorabletrader wrote:

That being said, it is still an eBay Money Back Guarantee protected program meaning that you can still open a return and request a refund via eBay.

Can you un-say that, and re-read the OP?

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Sorry, I have been chasing a ghost, what we use to say when troubleshooting a non-problem. The bank just told me they did issue a credit to another account of mine, I had missed it and all is good.

The bank did initially tell me the money would have been returned to the creditor and why I went after PayPal. Still confused about how the initial charge was done by eBay. The details of the credit has a PayPal transaction number but when I go to PayPal that transaction number doesn't exist.

Doesn't matter now as I found where I did receive the credit. Wow what a mess mostly created by me...

Message 5 of 5
latest reply