cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the deal with signing in to this board?

What's the deal with signing in to this board?  I click it (Sign In) over and over, and the little swirl twirls and twirls, then stops, so I try again.  Eventually, maybe after 10 attempts, it works, and my user Id shows up.  Doesn't last either, a few hours later I have to try again.

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

I get that too.  Also reloading the page dumps me to the front of discussion area instead of the sellers page.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Trouble with that also. Click to go to discussion boards. Try to sign in over and over nothing happens. Click on the selling board try to sign in over and over, again nothing and get kicked back to the beginning. After all this I click on a thread to read and it logs me in automatically. Go figure.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

There are several current threads on the Community Platform Feedback board and elsewhere about problems signing in to the community pages or staying signed in. Sometimes using the sign-in link seems to just reload the main Community page without actually signing in or even asking for credentials.

There are many proposed workarounds such as using different community links, signing out of eBay altogether or clearing eBay cookies, signing in using a private or incognito browser window, or using various account features such as loading a profile page, replying to a message or providing a helpful vote that seem to result in being signed back in, but what works once may not work again the next time it happens.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Check that the option in Site Preferences to stay signed into the community is selected, it's the very last option at the bottom of the page.  It might help, it might not, this is eBay...

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

The eBay/Khoros "team" has been too busy redesigning features like Private Messaging, which was perfectly fine to begin with. It worked perfectly, looked as one would expect, and had no glitches; however, apparently "someone" thought it needed to be redesigned to look much more cluttered and confusing.

Since all that time and effort was being spent on a pointless redesign, the "team" hasn't bothered to fix any of the myriad of glitches that abound in the community discussion boards, like the sign in challenge, the notification bell(s) not working, false HTML errors, the email alert (when someone posts) not working, post-flooding errors, etc., etc.

There have been issues like this for at least the last six months that have not been resolved, but, by god, we have a new Private Message "facelift." SMH.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

I have found that even if the 'Sign in" link is unchanged, there will be options to Reply and click on "Helpful" within posts. And if I do that, then it automatically signs me in.

So I am beginning to suspect that the "failure" of the sign-in process isn't actually a failure to sign us in, it's just a failure to put up the display of your user ID after you're signed in.  Next time you get into one of these circles, just proceed as if you're signed in; check off a "Helpful and see what happens..

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

I have found that even if the 'Sign in" link is unchanged, there will be options to Reply and click on "Helpful" within posts. And if I do that, then it automatically signs me in.

So I am beginning to suspect that the "failure" of the sign-in process isn't actually a failure to sign us in, it's just a failure to put up the display of your user ID after you're signed in.  Next time you get into one of these circles, just proceed as if you're signed in; check off a "Helpful and see what happens..

I'll try it the next time and see what happens because if I am truly signed in even though it isn't showing I am then I would be unable to do a Helpful because I have that function turned off in my preferences. I can't give Helpfuls to no one!

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

Next time you get into one of these circles, just proceed as if you're signed in; check off a "Helpful and see what happens..

I read that worked for another member, so I've tried it, too. Doesn't work for me. Just took me back to the Home page. Someone else suggested going into the "history" section of the browser and accessing an older URL. Didn't work for me. Unfortunately, nothing anyone else has suggested has worked for me--except just banging on the "Sign in" link over and over and over and over--out of anger and frustration. Eventually, I'm signed in.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

@pburn   Oddly enough after several days of using incognito browser mode on Chrome ( which worked fine)  I can now sign in with a regular browser just clicking the join community button.  

This glitch is a mysterious one with the way it behaves which makes me feel that it will be with us a long time since it's going to be harder for Khoros to pin down.  😞 

Comics-scifi_collectibles Is a Volunteer Community Mentor.
I have been a seller since 2003

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

@pburn 

Unfortunately, nothing anyone else has suggested has worked for me--except just banging on the "Sign in" link over and over and over and over--out of anger and frustration. Eventually, I'm signed in.

Keeping many browser tabs open with active community pages seems to help keep me on the US site, but I am having a difficult time staying signed in to the UK, AU and CA sites.

Try bookmarking your private community messages page:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage

Reloading the Canadian version of that page either signs me in or forces a sign-in page to appear and allows me to get signed in again to that site.

So far no single technique always works, but eventually something does.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

I'm skeptical that maybe eBay wants to do away with the responsibility of the boards?  Like the current 'glitch' with shipping where Priority defaults to Fedex Overnight at five times the price how can that possibly be an accident, an accident would be if it was suddenly all free.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

@points13 wrote:

Trouble with that also. Click to go to discussion boards. Try to sign in over and over nothing happens. Click on the selling board try to sign in over and over, again nothing and get kicked back to the beginning. After all this I click on a thread to read and it logs me in automatically. Go figure.

All of the above for me as well.  I have clicked on "sign in" for as many as 23 times and each time I am still at home page.  I try to go to a board, but when I attempt to give a helpful or respond to a post, I am told that I must sign in first before I can perform these functions.  

Why must we sign in to the community, when we have already signed in to ebay?  I am finding the only way I can stay signed in to community is if I stay signed in to ebay; never signing out.   Well, I prefer to log out, but doing so just makes it a headache to get signed back in to community.

This is just ONE of the many problems community discussion boards are having right now.  What I don't understand is, when everything is working fine, why change it? 

Music touches every key of memory, and stirs all the hidden springs of sorrow and joy; we love it for what it makes us forget, and for what it makes us remember.~~L.E. Landon
Message 13 of 13
latest reply