cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just curious re moderation actions.

When a thread is marked as read only due to age, why the heck not just delete/remove/archive it?

Sometimes there's like half a page of threads with the read only lock tag.

It's annoying lol

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

A lot of old threads still have useful information and can be found via google or forum search. The mods lock out old posts to keep the dead horses from getting beaten for years at a time.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

@toomuchstuffagain35 wrote:

When a thread is marked as read only due to age, why the heck not just delete/remove/archive it?

It's annoying lol

The problem is not with the old threads but rather the resurrecting of old threads by users who should be starting a new thread rather than tagging on to old ones from years ago.

Is it really that annoying to scroll past these locked threads or to pass on looking at ancient thread that have not yet been locked?

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

It might be useful to put that notice from Lithium mods as the first response rather than the last one when a thread has been closed for old age.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

It's annoying lol

Once they are locked they will sink rapidly off the first page so after a few hours you are not likely to see them at all. No worries.

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

If the person that bumped it is not a spammer, why would eBay remove the thread instead of letting that person see replies to their post or a reply from the mods to start a new thread?

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 6 of 14
latest reply

Ok, not annoying, mildly irritating then.

As once locked they are still in bold, so I have to look to see the read only thingy before I scroll past.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

Or maybe just lock threads after a certain age is reached?

I thought they were doing that at one time.

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

@toomuchstuffagain35 

I think the time from for old threads is about 6 months, especially if the best answer is selected.  What I notice with alot of old threads that come back from the dead is that the person who is piggybacking on them is posting a reply that has nothing to do with the OP's post.  If someone doesn't report them as being old threads, they'll float out there for a while. 

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

It might be useful to put that notice from Lithium mods as the first response rather than the last one when a thread has been closed for old age.

Maybe that would also prevent the annoyance of the thread being bumped up by the mods thread closed post.

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Ok, not annoying, mildly irritating then.

Okay - I will admit one thing that mildly irritates ME about this is when an old topic is resurrected like that but it is still relevant and (especially) if it has produced some fresh discussion - but then it gets arbitrarily shut down as an old topic regardless. 

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

Because there are a whole lot of members that frequent the threads, but never post.  They search the threads for what they have an issue with or a question they need answered.  So these threads can be important.  Many Google what they are looking for.  It can be a great way to find help regarding some subject.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 12 of 14
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote: ....  So these threads can be important.  Many Google what they are looking for.  It can be a great way to find help regarding some subject.

It can also be a great way of digging up an ancient thread with information that is obsolete, especially regarding shipping options or eBay policies.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

@mam98031 wrote: ....  So these threads can be important.  Many Google what they are looking for.  It can be a great way to find help regarding some subject.

It can also be a great way of digging up an ancient thread with information that is obsolete, especially regarding shipping options or eBay policies.

I made no claim that it was perfect.  I simply responded to a question.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 14 of 14
latest reply