cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what to do when Ebay miscalculate low shipping fees

Hi guys what should I do when Ebay calculate a low shipping fee that is lower than the contents of the item therefore making it  impossible to ship with the low shipping fee charged to the buyer.  Will appreciate your input 

Message 1 of 39
latest reply
38 REPLIES 38

Re: what to do when Ebay miscalculate low shipping fees

eBay does not miscalculate shipping, you do. You need to enter size of box, weight of Item to get Calculated shipping right. You can not ask buyer for one dime more then shipping cost posted in your listing.  Good Luck to you.

Message 2 of 39
latest reply

You ship it and eat the extra cost.

For USPS shipping, the shipping calculator is 99.9999% accurate if your weight and dimensions are entered properly.  Fedex and UPS - whole 'nother story, since the calculator does not take surcharges or dimensional weights in to account.

I love you forever, Christie! Fly high, precious daughter 1/14/1987-12/20/2016
Message 3 of 39
latest reply

@usmc*usnmom wrote:

For USPS shipping, the shipping calculator is 99.9999% accurate if your weight and dimensions are entered properly.  Fedex and UPS - whole 'nother story, since the calculator does not take surcharges or dimensional weights in to account.

I dont know about UPS but I use FedX Smartpost and if you enter the dimensions it DOES take dimensional weights into account. Many times I play with it to see if I shave off an inch or two if the price goes down. I have a list on my computer that has the dimensional weights of various sizes of packages. If you click residential address it takes that surcharge into account. The worst I have even been overcharged is about a buck and I send alot of big packages.

The biggest issue is people think the box size is only the outer dimentions of the lid and side and they do not take into account that if a box bulges, it is bigger than the box actually is and sometimes, just a half inch bulge will put you into the next size and hit you with higher charges. FedX and UPS use lasers to measure packages as they go down the belt so they will catch it.

I had one box that with a one inch increase in dimension jumped the shipping cost from $35.00 to $95.00. I decreased the size of the box two inches to make sure it was under and it was charged properly.

The Race is over
The Rats won.
Message 4 of 39
latest reply

@the_fancy_fox wrote:

@usmc*usnmom wrote:

I dont know about UPS but I use FedX Smartpost and if you enter the dimensions it DOES take dimensional weights into account. Many times I play with it to see if I shave off an inch or two if the price goes down. I have a list on my computer that has the dimensional weights of various sizes of packages. If you click residential address it takes that surcharge into account. The worst I have even been overcharged is about a buck and I send alot of big packages.

The biggest issue is people think the box size is only the outer dimentions of the lid and side and they do not take into account that if a box bulges, it is bigger than the box actually is and sometimes, just a half inch bulge will put you into the next size and hit you with higher charges. FedX and UPS use lasers to measure packages as they go down the belt so they will catch it.

I had one box that with a one inch increase in dimension jumped the shipping cost from $35.00 to $95.00. I decreased the size of the box two inches to make sure it was under and it was charged properly.

You're doing this through eBay? I only ask because I've never used FedEx and the OP had this done through eBay.

Message 5 of 39
latest reply

My listings indicate that the price shown is strictly an estimate. I also add a pound to the actual weight to compensate for ebay's "system".When I get the actual shipping amount from UPS Store I put that on the invoice. I won't eat shipping costs just because ebay's "system" does not have accurate info nor does it account for 3rd party shipers (like the UPS Store).

Message 6 of 39
latest reply

@l5wolvesf8 wrote:

My listings indicate that the price shown is strictly an estimate. I also add a pound to the actual weight to compensate for ebay's "system".When I get the actual shipping amount from UPS Store I put that on the invoice. I won't eat shipping costs just because ebay's "system" does not have accurate info nor does it account for 3rd party shipers (like the UPS Store).

You need to know your shipping charges before you list. You do not get to add extra charges after the sale. Its that simple. Your listings - looking at the CD collection you have going right now - have several terms that are just plain unenforceable - mainly that the buyer is supposed to wait for you to send them extra charges - possiby - after they buy. That is not how it works. At the end of the auction they will have a big Pay Now button that they can click on. When they click on that then they pay you - and you ship.

You will pay out the wazoo if you are going to have UPS store do your shipping for you. Its not hard to do your own and pack your own stuff so just get started doing that and you can get more help here.

Message 7 of 39
latest reply

There's really no reason to have 2 active threads on the same subject 😞

Insufficient shipping fees charges to buyer

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Insufficient-shipping-fees-charges-to-buyer/m-p/26649467#M9176...

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 8 of 39
latest reply

Hi 

First, I meant to respond in general not specifically to you – my bad for clicking on the wrong REPLY button.

Regarding your response, I have been doing this since the early 2000s (a prior account name). My terms have developed over the years and experiences here and reading, and adopting, some of the terms others have posted on their listings. Whenever someone has not read, or didn’t like, those terms eBay upholds my end of the situation. That would include one that happened this January. So, according to them, it is not outside of their rules. Also, ebay invoices provide a space for an additional charge or discount on their invoices. I explained to ebay that I add the charges (Paypal and FVF only) in that space and they specifically told me it was allowable.

Regarding “Pay Now”, since you read my terms you saw that it says “Please wait for me to inform you of this amount BEFORE submitting payment.” So if they “Pay Now”, they have violated the terms. “Pay Now” is an option not a requirement – I’ve been on both sides of that situation.

Regarding shipping, ebay invoices provide the ability to correct/change the shipping cost on their invoices. I add a pound to the estimated weight when I post a listing, so when it comes to the actual charge it is usually less, or sometimes equal, to the cost ebay lists.

I pack all the items I sell myself. I stop at the UPS Store 2 – 3 times per week so getting a quote (at their actual rates) for a sale isn’t a problem. I don’t lose money or time on the shipping part of any sale.

Message 9 of 39
latest reply

Winner /Buyer pays any and all transaction fees. Winner /Buyer must pay, or communicate with me regarding payment, within two (2) days of an invoice being sent.

Winner /Buyer pays any and all shipping costs, including insurance (if requested).

The weight of this item is a CLOSE ESTIMATE ONLY you will be informed of the actual shipping amount and other costs based on winner/buyer’s shipping address and actual packaged weight and shipping quote of the item(s). Please wait for me to inform you of this amount BEFORE submitting payment. Seller responsibility ends when item is given to the shipper.

All completely unenforcable and invalid. As is shipping magazines via media mail.

Your answer is wrong.  Yes Ebay does miscalculate shipping fees.  My measurements were spot on but they calculated only $31 for shipping fees when it should have been $81 And Change.

Message 11 of 39
latest reply

Did you ever do a sell simliar on that listing to see exactly what three dimensions were entered?  Priority mail has limits.  Could you please give those numbers.

Message 12 of 39
latest reply

If this is about the brid cage (again), your measurements are incomplete at best.  I get $31.70 to my location.

And you're really going to try and ship a 4' beveled glass oval mirror?  An $800 mirror?  For $150 shipping?

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 13 of 39
latest reply

The dimensions were too big for USPS to ship anyway.   Guess next time I ship something that size I will do FLAT SHIPPING FEE

thanks

Message 14 of 39
latest reply

"wrought iron tall bird cage with tall stand  at 65" X 18 W"

65" x 18" by what?  Assuming the cage is 18" diameter, what about the frame on the stand?  That must be wider.  What about the base?  The total weight?  Wrought iron will be heavy and the base will be heavy to counter the cage weight.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 15 of 39
latest reply