cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

so much for ebay protecting sellers

"ebay values your safety when selling online, if you meet your commitments as a seller, ebay will protect you if you face abusive buyer behavior or events outside your control"🤣

🤣

in the past if a buyer filed a "not as a described claim", you could call ebay, explain the situation, the ebay customer service rep would look over the case, they would then refund the buyer, but not out of my account, since it was clear my item was described.

not anymore  

since ebay wont protect sellers, Im switching to no refunds

thanks ebay appreciate it

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Re: so much for ebay protecting sellers

@ads.ink wrote:

it will keep me from being charged for a return label.

on a 12.99 item, that is fragile, Im not paying 6 .00 for the item to be returned, only to have it ripped or packaged incorrectly. its not worth it.

i would prefer they keep the item, i refund the price of the item, not the shipping cost

What you do is okay for remorse returns. 

But if a buyer files NAD, although you don't have to require the return (and as such, you don't pay return shipping) but the refund to them MUST include their original shipping cost. 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 16 of 26
latest reply

thanks for the advice, just changed to returns accepted, buyer pays return label

Message 17 of 26
latest reply

I say they don't care , it's hard for me to understand why there are no tools to deal with habitual bad buyers. No refunds (which we have always done) means little , as "not as described" cancels no refunds. We look hard at feedback left for others and occasionally find a really bad buyer who trashes everyone he deals with yet has 100% positive feedback because sellers can't leave a bad guy a negative feedback. We will not sell to people like that, yet eBay doesn't afford us the courtesy of saying no thanks to buyers with huge issues unless we lie and say customer requests a cancellation. We can report a bad buyer but I have yet to receive a single call regarding a poor experience. Ebay does many thing right but we pay a lot in fees and we deserve that buyers are held to a high standard also. So Seller Protection has some benefits but has significant flaws. 

Message 18 of 26
latest reply

I was hardheaded (not saying that you are) about a returns policy for many, many years. (more than 20)

My theory on "no returns accepted" was that it would make the buyer take that into consideration and be very sure that the well described/well photographed item was what they needed "before" purchasing.

Did not always work, and possibly deterred sales where a buyer did not understand the eBay MBG.

This past year I switched to the "accepted, buyer pays return" policy. I have had 4-5 remorse return requests that could possibly have been done as false INAD if I had not changed. 

"returns accepted" on those has allowed me to accept the returns at the buyer's expense, and to also, within eBay policy, refund only the purchase price.  With my previous policy I would accepted "remorse" returns with the buyer paying the return label shipping, but the eBay "return flow" did not allow me to retain original buyer paid shipping $$.

Message 19 of 26
latest reply

You can have a No Returns policy.

You cannot have a No Refunds policy.

And.

A No Returns policy often leads to an increase in Not As Described disputes, in which the seller pays return shipping instead of a Buyer Remorse request where the buyer pays the return shipping.

Message 20 of 26
latest reply

@ads.ink wrote:

on a 12.99 item, that is fragile, Im not paying 6 .00 for the item to be returned, only to have it ripped or packaged incorrectly. its not worth it.

i would prefer they keep the item, i refund the price of the item, not the shipping cost

In reference to your title, you seem surprised eBay’s first interest is in protecting buyers. As for seller protections, there are a few, but for the most part, each seller must look out for his own interest.

Going to a No Returns policy is a choice many sellers use. Some buyers, upon seeing a seller’s No Return policy, will then go directly to a Money Back Guarantee case, thinking the seller would not be receptive to a return.

i have had free returns for years, long before eBay began pushing for it. But i seldom get returns, so that choice works for my business. It’s not for everyone.

PS: Should a buyer open a Not As Described case, a seller doesn’t have the option of withholding the shipping cost.

Message 21 of 26
latest reply

there are no tools to deal with habitual bad buyers.
EBay has been known to refuse the Money Back Guarantee to buyers who "overuse" the policy.
We occasionally see complaints from such buyers on the Boards.

i just refunded the buyer minus the shipping cost i paid

Buyers are also covered by Paypal's Buyer Protection policy and by the chargeback provisions of their credit card.

If the eBay refund is not in full, the buyer can go to those for remedy.

Which could possibly mean a refund in full from PP or card, plus your partial refund and the buyer keeps the disputed item.

Message 22 of 26
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

Which could possibly mean a refund in full from PP or card, plus your partial refund and the buyer keeps the disputed item.

And don't forget that the OP will also get hit with a $20 chargeback fee! 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 23 of 26
latest reply

@ads.ink wrote:

That is not how it works. An item not as described get a FULL refund regardless of what you say. The question is "why" are you having to refund in the first place. Maybe take a deep breathe and think abut fixing that.

Message 24 of 26
latest reply

On what basis could eBay decide the buyer was being untruthful?

The buyer has the item.  No one from eBay would be able to examine it and determine that the buyer's claim was true or false.  

Sold here for awhile a long time ago, but don't remember eBay ever refunding the buyer, but not from my account.  

Message 25 of 26
latest reply

There ARE tools to deal with habitual bad buyers.  The problem is that quite a few sellers are unaware of them or just don't bother, so the bad buyers can continue.

If/when ANY buyer doesn't pay within 4 days of the end of the auction/listing, that seller can, on day #5, cancel that transaction, citing "buyer did not pay" as his reason.

Several things happen then, the most notable being that that buyer gets a "strike".  Two strikes in twelve months, and most sellers have set their requirements so that they do not have to deal with that buyer.

We see reports here from sellers who've encountered buyers whose FB received indicates that they have multiple nonpayment situations according FB those buyers have received.  If just TWO of the sellers involved would have taken the appropriate action, no one would have had to deal with deadbeats.  

Message 26 of 26
latest reply