cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

return request when the Ebay notice says you're not obligated to accept a return.

This is a first.  I got a return request for an item that was bought back on April 8 and delivered back in April.  The reason they used was "ordered by mistake".  The long and short of it is the buyer is trying to send the dolls to Russian and the rules have changed and now she can't and is asking for refunds for the all the items she bought, and she wants to return the items to the sellers.

Ebay shows that I'm not obligated to accept a return.  One of the options is to refuse the return and it shows it will close the case.  I just want to make sure if I pick that option, no defect will be marked against me.

Hoping someone has a quick answer on this for me.  Thanks.

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: return request when the Ebay notice says you're not obligated to accept a return.

True, you can deny the return with no seller defect. The only gotcha might be a PayPal or credit card dispute at some point.

Posting ID
Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Re: return request when the Ebay notice says you're not obligated to accept a return.

Because it's over 30 days AND because it's considered a "remorse" return you are not obligated to accept it.

I would deny the return.

You should not get any defect.

Undone - Bachman & Cummings
Message 3 of 14
latest reply

You are good to close the case. You will receive no defects. I can't recall if the Buyer can still leave negative feedback or not.  The Buyer had 30 days to make a return so eBay is allowing you to reject the request as it is outside of the timeframe.

You can still take the return if it is an item you think you can sell again & create goodwill with the Buyer. That is up to you. In that case the Buyer should have to pay for the return shipping.

If you do not want to or can't accept the return you can also suggest to the Buyer that they use the "Sell This" button next to the item in their Purchase History tab so that the Buyer can try to recoup their expense.

There are many ways to approach this, do what is best for your account. But the key takeaway is that eBay will nor ding you for saying no to this return.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

There are 2 reasons why you aren't obligated to accept a return request.

1. If you have a no return policy and buyer has a "remorse" reason for wanting to return.

2. If the request is beyond the 30 day MBG window (for NAD)

The reason is a remorse reason PLUS it's past 30 days so you can deny the request. 

If this was one of the items for which you charged for shipping, you are allowed to deduct the original shipping from the refund plus the buyer would pay for return shipping so you wouldn't be out much more than your time. And you'd have a buyer who's happy they don't have to feel "stuck" with an item they don't want. 

If it was an item that had free shipping, that's more of a loss for you because you can't deduct the original shipping. (Return shipping is still on the buyer.)

It's up to you whether you want to accept the return.

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

@inhawaii ,

You are correct as OP can deny refund which is what I would do. However, there is very good likelihood if the OP denies the return, the buyer will go to their financial institution and request a chargeback. In that case the OP would want accept the refund. If OP disputes the chargeback request they will mostly lose and have to refund the buyer the amount paid plus a $20.00 fee. eBay as nothing to do regarding chargeback requests since it is done thru the buyer’s financial institution. 

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

You are correct.

I'd take my chances and deny the return.

I think the chances of the buyer doing (and winning) a chargeback are slim to none.

I like to live dangerously.   😉

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

@inhawaii ,

I would have to disagree with you that it is slim to none.

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

@theteamsetguy wrote:

@inhawaii ,

24 years selling on ebay and I've never had a single chargeback.

Maybe i'm just lucky?

I hope I didn't just jinx myself.   😉

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

@inhawaii wrote:

@theteamsetguy wrote:

@inhawaii ,

24 years selling on ebay and I've never had a single chargeback.

Maybe i'm just lucky?

I hope I didn't just jinx myself.   😉

Its a wonder given the coveted items you sell...

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

You will NOT get a Defect.  I deny returns all the time, never gotten a defect.  They CAN leave Feedback & you can likely get it removed if they leave a neg/neut.  

I have NEVER had anyone do a chargeback b/c I denied a return request.  Ever.   I have had 2 other chargebacks, but never for this reason.  I've also never had anyone leave a neg/neut for this reason.  Yes, some people will do it, but if your buyers are generally honest people & you sell in a low-scam category, you're probably fine. 

This one goes to Eleven - Nigel Tufnel

Simply-the-best-for-you Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay Seller since 1996

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

@theteamsetguy wrote:

@inhawaii ,

It seems if the buyer could file a Chargeback, not everyone can, they would have lead with that instead of the claim in Ebay.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 12 of 14
latest reply

No returns does NOT mean No Refunds.

But the buyer is well past the deadlines for the Money Back Guarantee.

The buyer is still covered by Paypal's Buyer Protection, (180 days) although the seller can demand the return of the purchase at the buyer's expense before refunding.

I'm not sure how many buyers are using PP,  since we just see the payment, not the service.

And credit card chargebacks are another kettle of fish.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

I know time has passed but why not just accept the return. When you get the items back you refund. Might save you a whole lot of trouble in the end. It is rare for a seller to actually win a buyback dispute if they take that route. If they do you are out of the item & the money plus you get to pay $20 for there inconvenience. 

Message 14 of 14
latest reply