cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

refunding for overpayment of shipping, ethical or just plain dumb?

Someone bought 4 things from me and paid instead of waiting for an invoice with combined shipping. It's always been my policy to determine the actual shipping cost and refund for the overage. My husband thinks I'm dumb as a stump for doing that. Surely if they paid they are satisfied with the shipping. But it just bothers me to accept a payment for way more than the actual shipping cost. Any thoughts? I'll add that when I refund and let them know why they virtually never acknowledge this or say thanks. 

Message 1 of 303
latest reply
302 REPLIES 302

Re: refunding for overpayment of shipping, ethical or just plain dumb?

How about this, if it's just a little bit over, keep it to cover fees and other misc. expenses.

If it's way over, refund it.

Whatever you're comfortable with.

Good luck selling!

Smoke From A Distant Fire - Sanford Townsend Band
Message 46 of 303
latest reply

bigger fish,  Thanks for explaining my math.  It wasn't wrong after all!  😃

Message 47 of 303
latest reply

@aggrkat-0 wrote:

I purchase a lot of vintage toys marked .25 even .10 or .5.  Of course I don't expect the seller to sell it for that amount.  I am not referring to the price of the item. 

Emerald40, is that you? 

Message 48 of 303
latest reply

A lot of customers do this to me. My listings all clearly show you how much S&H is for the first item and how much for any additional items. For example again, $5 for the first item, $1 for each additional item.  Yet buyers will still message me asking "do you offer combined shipping"?

I politely message them back and repeat what's in my listing. "Yes i do offer combined shipping.  S&H is $5 for the first item and just $1 for each additional item."

Message 49 of 303
latest reply

I've always refunded the extra on combined items.  Just seems like the right thing to do.

Message 50 of 303
latest reply

@aggrkat-0 wrote:

Buyers come here who don't have a clue about how ebay works and that they have to ask about combined shipping.  They figure the seller will take care of it.  

As a buyer I look at what I was charged vs what it says on the label, and if a seller takes advantage of me, then I will never buy from them again.

For your future consideration...

Many sellers hide the cost of a USPS label when they print it. Some sellers get discounts that other sellers do not (TRS vs. non-TRS) if they use ebay labels.

Additionally, not all postage vendors charge the same rates, especially for cubic rate shipments. Not all postage vendors offer cubic rates, and most apply a surcharge to the USPS listed rates.

Neither FedEX or UPS put prices on their labels. How do you determine if you are being taken advantage of for these carriers? I'm genuinely curious!

Déjà Moo: The strange feeling that I've heard this bull before...
Message 51 of 303
latest reply

@aggrkat-0 wrote:

If I want to purchase multiple items from a seller I contact them and ask if they will combine shipping.  If not, I move on to another listing.

I know this reply is not directed at me, but I'm adding to the conversation nevertheless...

If a buyer contacts me BEFORE buying about shipping charges, I am ALWAYS willing to engage them on something that they apparently value very highly.

If I don't hear anything but griping post-delivery, that's a whole nuther kettle o' fish. I may or may not offer a small refund. I also may or may not block them from buying from me in the future. *Shrug*.

Déjà Moo: The strange feeling that I've heard this bull before...
Message 52 of 303
latest reply

I don't use much separate shipping charges, mostly free shipping, so it mostly takes care of itself.  On a single item purchase with Flat Rate shipping it is not a concern if stated. Only time it affects me is on combined shipping and I always want to be in favor of my customer.  Thanks.

Message 53 of 303
latest reply

Sometimes if a buyer buys a large quantity of items and i can use a flat rate box to save money, i pass that savings on to the customer and they get a partial refund. 

I guess you and I are on the same page as far as taking good care of our customers.  😃

Message 54 of 303
latest reply

Fantastic!!!!! You can even take this to the next level if something fits in a Flat Rate Box or Envelope and email a buyer before shipping to offer them absolutely free shipping on anything else that will fill out the package. I do it all the times and it does generate additional sales at no cost.

Message 55 of 303
latest reply

@keziak wrote:

Someone bought 4 things from me and paid instead of waiting for an invoice with combined shipping. It's always been my policy to determine the actual shipping cost and refund for the overage. My husband thinks I'm dumb as a stump for doing that. Surely if they paid they are satisfied with the shipping. But it just bothers me to accept a payment for way more than the actual shipping cost. Any thoughts? I'll add that when I refund and let them know why they virtually never acknowledge this or say thanks. 

During my selling years, I always refunded overpaid shipping regardless of the amount.  It's calming to do the right thing and not expect anything in return...

Message 56 of 303
latest reply

I'm unclear how buyers are supposed to ask for an invoice unless you're running auctions. 99% of the time I try to use the cart for Fixed Price items it requires me to check out. Given that, and the fact that I buy in a busy category, most of the time I don't even try. I don't want to play around with the cart only to lose a purchase.

Message 57 of 303
latest reply

No offense, but your husband is right.

They came, they saw, they paid.

The contract has been executed. You have zero obligation to refund excess shipping.

Unless the discrepancy was egregious, I wouldn't refund. You're setting yourself up for a problem. If you send all items in one package get ready for SNAD/INR.
Message 58 of 303
latest reply

@southern*sweet*tea wrote:

I've always refunded anything over $1.  I don't care what other people think.  I have to live with myself, and if I didn't send the refund it would really bother me.

Why does it bother you? They knew the charges and agreed to pay. You don't owe these people anything other than the item they bought at they price they agreed to pay for it. 

Message 59 of 303
latest reply

@ed8108 wrote:

Integrity & morality

Always do unto others what you would like done to you.

It has zip to do with integrity or morality. They were shown then final cost when they paid for it and they agreed to it.

Message 60 of 303
latest reply