cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Something went wrong and we were not able to generate the label."

Just trying to print a label like normal. I've shipped an ebay standard envelope to Puerto Rico several times before but I keep getting this message. I tried clearing my cookies/cache, refreshing my browser, tried on mobile and on a computer and it still gives the same error.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

ScreenShot Tool -20231014094715.pngJust a heads up. I have received that message before, but the label was created. I just needed to reprint it. Double check your shipping labels under seller's hub. If it wasn't created and funds were not deducted, then use Pirate Ship.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Had this happen to us also. Turns out there were too many letters in the address. If there is a . or a , that you can do without, get rid of it - that's what worked for us. good luck!

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

This is true, especially with Puerto Rico. For some reason, eBay doubles one of the lines in the address. I created a ticket about this problem 4 years ago, they're still working on it.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

I get the "something went wrong" message when I try to print a label before it loads completely, but PR can be a special case. Some folks there think that PR is their country. Look at the buyer's info and if they put PR as the country you won't be able to send USPS to them. They either have to fix it or you end up canceling (choose "problem with buyer's address"). 

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

This is just one of the reason why about 15 years ago I stopped using eBay's cumbersome and unreliable shipping/labeling system. I see things haven't gotten much better in time.

I switched over to Stamps.com, where I have no problems with a PR address and get the same reduced postage rates across the board. On every address, Stamps.com instantaneously runs it against the USPS database and corrects it if necessary. I also get the option to select the shipping service I want to use without eBay's category restrictions - like First Class Large Envelope. On top of that is reliability with real live and understandable US-based CS reps who have the authority to solve problems quickly. I also get download of sales from eBay, Amazon and Etsy and automatic post-back of tracking and all other necessary information when I click print. Great reports, too. 

I understand there are also other shipping/labeling venues out there that are just as reliable as Stamps.com. So if and when you're had enough of the unreliability, tinkering, and restrictions of eBay's system, check out the other alternatives.

Cheers, Duffy

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

There is no need to lose out on a sale because a buyer mistyped their address. You can grammatically edit an address or fix it to USPS verified and still keep your seller protections. 

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Also be careful NOT to keep buying repeat labels for the same order when it says that. I had it happen yesterday just shipping something in the US and I double purchased the label then had to ask USPS to refund.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

If the buyer used PR as the country instead of as a state, change the address to the US and the state to PR. Then you should be able to print an ebay standard envelope label.  You are allowed to do this as you are just correcting the address. You don't need to cancel the sale and have the buyer make the purchase again.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply