cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

profanity and racist remarks thru ebay messages

ebay seems to be ok with that.

I received 6 offers over night from the same person, the offers were for the asking price on all 6, but each contained a message.

The first one stated that I was a "the N word" theif.

Second stated that they wish I get aids, die and go to hell.

Third one used profanity "the F word multiple times"

Forth one F you N

The last 2 were threats that the police will be sent over to arrest me.

I have no idea who this person is, but one of the offers was accepted automatically, I looked at the name and address to see if they ever bought anything from me but couldn't find any record of dealing with them.

So instead of "Report a buyer" link, I decided to call ebay.

I spoke to a CSR who looked at things and put me on hold, then they transferred me to a supervisor who also looked at the messages, she stated their account will be suspended.

All ebay did so far is remove the offers and message except for the one accepted, and it's been over 48 hours.

I just looked at their ID and they are still active on ebay.

I am posting this under the same account as the messages were received in case one of the blues is around to see why ebay allows hate messages on their platform. No excuse for that.

Message 1 of 151
latest reply
150 REPLIES 150

Re:I take no issue at all with you backing up Greg / profanity and racist remarks thru ebay messages

That should be that anyone can get.  

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 136 of 151
latest reply

Re:I take no issue at all with you backing up Greg / profanity and racist remarks thru ebay messages

@myjunqueyourtreasure wrote:
I think if a platform supposedly has a zero tolerance policy for this type of thing then being removed from the site is the ONLY "action" that should be taken.

Anything less is in effect saying while it may be "policy" it will in fact be "tolerated" (because any buyer is a good buyer. They've actually said that)

The way I read the response was, they have a procedure that includes warnings.  Whether you or I think that reasonable in this case is beside the point.  We are not in charge.  I think it is outside our position as sellers to demand specific outcome timing.  We do not know all the details.  Maybe the person has health problems.  Maybe he has an otherwise good record so this stands out as particularly odd.  Maybe his spouse just died.  Maybe he had some kind of explanation.  We do not know.  It was appalling in any context.  However, that doesn't mean that we should arm chair the outcome.  The eBay employee said it was being handled.  Block the guy and move on.  The comments were SO WEIRD that you really have to wonder....

Message 137 of 151
latest reply

@nmemoryof wrote:

I think if a platform supposedly has a zero tolerance policy for this type of thing then being removed from the site is the ONLY "action" that should be taken.

Anything less is in effect saying while it may be "policy" it will in fact be "tolerated" (because any buyer is a good buyer. They've actually said that)

The way I read the response was, they have a procedure that includes warnings.  Whether you or I think that reasonable in this case is beside the point.  We are not in charge.  I think it is outside our position as sellers to demand specific outcome timing.  We do not know all the details.  Maybe the person has health problems.  Maybe he has an otherwise good record so this stands out as particularly odd.  Maybe his spouse just died.  Maybe he had some kind of explanation.  We do not know.  It was appalling in any context.  However, that doesn't mean that we should arm chair the outcome.  The eBay employee said it was being handled.  Block the guy and move on.  The comments were SO WEIRD that you really have to wonder....

Well the op mentioned they called them a thief and threatened to have them arrested.   My thought is for some reason this person who contacted them thinks the op is a thief thus calling them one and threatening to call cops.  why I don’t know   Don’t even know if the op knows but I can gather at least that much was the reason for the inappropriate emails 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 138 of 151
latest reply

We all have health problems and relatives who have passed on...yet we still maintain some type of composure and don't threaten other people.  Those that don't or can't handle life...then they are even a bigger  danger to others...Losing jobs then shooting up the place as an example.  I just can't think of a rational reason of why he did this or an excuse for it.

Message 139 of 151
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@greg5000 wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

Because your definition of "private information" differs from Ebay doesn't mean your definition over-rides Ebay's.  It simply means you have a different interpretation.  As it stands currently, this is private account information.  So YES under the current policies and procedures you are asking for Ebay to release private account information.

You are correct, the OP does have the buyer's contact information, which is private account information because there was a transaction between them and the buyer.  There is an agreement when you become a member on Ebay that allows Ebay to share this information when a transaction between two members is created.  If that weren't to be allowed, then there would be no reason for any of us to be here.

But that doesn't mean that we each give up all our privacy and have agreed to allow the sharing of other account details.  

You just simply differ with Ebay's definition of account privacy.  That would be something to address with Ebay in an effort to get them to loosen up that definition.

Please don't tell me what my definition of "private" means ...it's not for you to define, and ... it's private. Smiley Surprised

As I previously stated, I'm not asking for eBay to provide any private information.  All I've said is, that any member who makes a death threat, should be removed from eBay.

Thanks for agreeing that I was also correct.

Fine, then you tell Ebay that you have the right to expect them to change how they define private information that it must match your definition.  The information in question is if the buyer's account was hacked or not.  That is what you have said in previous posts that the OP has the right to know.  I get it, it is your opinion that it is not private account information.  Ebay does not agree with you, therefore it is information they wouldn't provide the OP.

From what the OP stated in their opening statement, the Buyer did NOT threaten their life.  What the OP said was "Second stated that they wish I get aids, die and go to hell."  Still no excuse for such a statement and the buyer is way out of line with their unacceptable behavior.  But it is not a threat.  They didn't say they were going to infect them with a disease that is potentially deadly.  I am NOT in any way defending the buyer.  They were wrong to say such a thing on so many levels.  

The OP has a right to know what is happening with this issue, as they had 6 vulgar, racist and threatening messages sent to them.

Please stop saying "eBay does not agree with you," unless you work for eBay and are representing them?  If you don't agree with me, please just say you don't agree.

You may not be defending the Buyer but you are defending eBay ... and we don't even know what eBay is going to do in this situation.  So again ... let's wait and see.

Message 140 of 151
latest reply

@greg5000 wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@greg5000 wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

Because your definition of "private information" differs from Ebay doesn't mean your definition over-rides Ebay's.  It simply means you have a different interpretation.  As it stands currently, this is private account information.  So YES under the current policies and procedures you are asking for Ebay to release private account information.

You are correct, the OP does have the buyer's contact information, which is private account information because there was a transaction between them and the buyer.  There is an agreement when you become a member on Ebay that allows Ebay to share this information when a transaction between two members is created.  If that weren't to be allowed, then there would be no reason for any of us to be here.

But that doesn't mean that we each give up all our privacy and have agreed to allow the sharing of other account details.  

You just simply differ with Ebay's definition of account privacy.  That would be something to address with Ebay in an effort to get them to loosen up that definition.

Please don't tell me what my definition of "private" means ...it's not for you to define, and ... it's private. Smiley Surprised

As I previously stated, I'm not asking for eBay to provide any private information.  All I've said is, that any member who makes a death threat, should be removed from eBay.

Thanks for agreeing that I was also correct.

Fine, then you tell Ebay that you have the right to expect them to change how they define private information that it must match your definition.  The information in question is if the buyer's account was hacked or not.  That is what you have said in previous posts that the OP has the right to know.  I get it, it is your opinion that it is not private account information.  Ebay does not agree with you, therefore it is information they wouldn't provide the OP.

From what the OP stated in their opening statement, the Buyer did NOT threaten their life.  What the OP said was "Second stated that they wish I get aids, die and go to hell."  Still no excuse for such a statement and the buyer is way out of line with their unacceptable behavior.  But it is not a threat.  They didn't say they were going to infect them with a disease that is potentially deadly.  I am NOT in any way defending the buyer.  They were wrong to say such a thing on so many levels.  

The OP has a right to know what is happening with this issue, as they had 6 vulgar, racist and threatening messages sent to them.

Please stop saying "eBay does not agree with you," unless you work for eBay and are representing them?  If you don't agree with me, please just say you don't agree.

You may not be defending the Buyer but you are defending eBay ... and we don't even know what eBay is going to do in this situation.  So again ... let's wait and see.

Trinton who does speak for eBay has already said that information on what actions are taken will not be shared with the op.  We are just repeating that information. We aren’t speaking for eBay.  We are telling what eBay’s policy is on the subject.   

Message 141 of 151
latest reply

Has the issue been reported to law enforcement?  Some of the recent madness in the world has started with less hatred than this shows. If eBay won't help, maybe a request from law enforcement will get them moving in the right direction.

Message 142 of 151
latest reply

@greg5000 wrote:

@kataggr-44 wrote:

Ebay's rules aren't part of the 10 commandments.  They made them, they can break them just like about every other rule that has changed since I last sold here.  Ebay is a private company that can and has done exactly what it wants to do.  See something; say something; and now do something should be the new rule in today's increasing violent world.

I fully agree with you and I really don't think eBay allows death threats, so all of the conjecture here by a few (as to what eBay won't do), surprises me.

Hopefully this will play out correctly and eBay will remove the member from the site and report them to Law Enforcement.

I think this will be mandatory for sites like ebay to shut down the account and report such racist remarks to law enforcement under the "Red Flag" law.

Message 143 of 151
latest reply

@myjunqueyourtreasure 

Does Ebay have a zero tolerance policy for verbal abuse?   I ask because I don't know.

This is what I could find.

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/member-behavior-policies/profanity-policy?id=4258

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/member-behaviour-policies/membertomember-contact-policy?id=4262

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 144 of 151
latest reply

@ten_o_nine wrote:

@greg5000 wrote:

@kataggr-44 wrote:

Ebay's rules aren't part of the 10 commandments.  They made them, they can break them just like about every other rule that has changed since I last sold here.  Ebay is a private company that can and has done exactly what it wants to do.  See something; say something; and now do something should be the new rule in today's increasing violent world.

I fully agree with you and I really don't think eBay allows death threats, so all of the conjecture here by a few (as to what eBay won't do), surprises me.

Hopefully this will play out correctly and eBay will remove the member from the site and report them to Law Enforcement.

I think this will be mandatory for sites like ebay to shut down the account and report such racist remarks to law enforcement under the "Red Flag" law.

Did your buyer say something about guns?  Sorry if I missed that in a previous post.

Message 145 of 151
latest reply

I don't see any dates as to when they were written, but they seriously need to be updated to reflect what is going on around us...just like ebay makes changes to everything else around here.  Just like in the real world ebay needs to take this a bit more seriously because it isn't reflected in either one of those links.

Message 146 of 151
latest reply

@kataggr-44 wrote:

I don't see any dates as to when they were written, but they seriously need to be updated to reflect what is going on around us...just like ebay makes changes to everything else around here.

I agree.

Message 147 of 151
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

"Look, your opinions and how you define things often fly in the face of others.  You have the right to post them as others have the right to post theirs."

Your above post is in reference to gregg.   He is actually quite spot on re his opinions and how he "defines things" here.  Very thought out and informative posts.  

I really don't think how he defines things "often fly in the face of others".  

A very interesting thread here.  There should be NO tolerance at all for what happened to the OP.   ONE time is enough.  That person should be gone immediately.   

Message 148 of 151
latest reply

@designerfashionfinds wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

"Look, your opinions and how you define things often fly in the face of others.  You have the right to post them as others have the right to post theirs."

Your above post is in reference to gregg.   He is actually quite spot on re his opinions and how he "defines things" here.  Very thought out and informative posts.  

I really don't think how he defines things "often fly in the face of others".  

A very interesting thread here.  There should be NO tolerance at all for what happened to the OP.   ONE time is enough.  That person should be gone immediately.   

I agree, this is an interesting thread.  I take no issue at all with you backing up Greg / supporting what he has had to say.  I might just add that when I said that it was part of a larger conversation.  Greg does define what things should be private account information differently than Ebay and other do.  But for all of us, while we can have different opinions on how to define things, ultimately it is how Ebay defines it that matters on this site.

All we can do is let Ebay know we may differ with there position and lobby for change.

Message 149 of 151
latest reply

"I take no issue at all with you backing up Greg / supporting what he has had to say.  I might just add that when I said that it was part of a larger conversation.  Greg does define what things should be private account information differently than Ebay and other do.  But for all of us, while we can have different opinions on how to define things, ultimately it is how Ebay defines it that matters on this site.

All we can do is let Ebay know we may differ with there position and lobby for change.

Thank you for not taking any issue with me backing up Gregg or caring about what he has to say.   I read this whole thread.  The "larger conversation"  as you call it.    I read the whole conversation.............    Bottom line, no excuses for any threatening, name calling.  They should be gone from here.   And lobbying for change??  Here??   That will never happen.

Message 150 of 151
latest reply