cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

profanity and racist remarks thru ebay messages

ebay seems to be ok with that.

I received 6 offers over night from the same person, the offers were for the asking price on all 6, but each contained a message.

The first one stated that I was a "the N word" theif.

Second stated that they wish I get aids, die and go to hell.

Third one used profanity "the F word multiple times"

Forth one F you N

The last 2 were threats that the police will be sent over to arrest me.

I have no idea who this person is, but one of the offers was accepted automatically, I looked at the name and address to see if they ever bought anything from me but couldn't find any record of dealing with them.

So instead of "Report a buyer" link, I decided to call ebay.

I spoke to a CSR who looked at things and put me on hold, then they transferred me to a supervisor who also looked at the messages, she stated their account will be suspended.

All ebay did so far is remove the offers and message except for the one accepted, and it's been over 48 hours.

I just looked at their ID and they are still active on ebay.

I am posting this under the same account as the messages were received in case one of the blues is around to see why ebay allows hate messages on their platform. No excuse for that.

Message 1 of 151
latest reply
150 REPLIES 150

Re: profanity and racist remarks thru ebay messages

@myangelandmyprincess wrote:

@ten_o_nine wrote:

@ten_o_nine wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

If someone's account is hijacked, that is private account information.  That is all I was saying.  And Ebay has been clear that this information will not be released.  Sorry I should have explained better.

Let me clarify a couple of things,

First - I am not asking ebay to share their ACTIONS with me or anyone else. I can see if an ACTION was taken by looking at the ID ebay shared with me. If that ID is active, then there were no ACTIONS taken against the account, a warning is not an ACTION in my book, a warning already exists in the user agreement that this type of behavior is unaccepted and would lead to suspension, not warning and the buyer should be very well aware of that, a warning is sent to someone that had no clue.

Second - When one of the offers was accepted, ebay provided the buyer with my seller info, and provided me with the buyer's name, address, phone number, and private email,  All it takes these days is to google the name as I did and find more info than you care for, including their Facebook and LinkedIn contacts.

Trinton said there are other sanctions as well that you wouldn't see.  So just because you don't see them NARU doesn't mean they didn't take any action.  

Like?

He didn't name them off here but eBay does holds, restrictions and suspensions 

So let me get this correct ...

• Hold:  Temporarily limits the ability of the member to make death threats.
  • Restrict:  Sounds like the account can't be used, but when the restriction is removed ... the member could make another death threat.
  • Suspension:  What should always happen for a death threat.
Message 121 of 151
latest reply

@greg5000 wrote:

@ten_o_nine wrote:

@ten_o_nine wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

If someone's account is hijacked, that is private account information.  That is all I was saying.  And Ebay has been clear that this information will not be released.  Sorry I should have explained better.

First - I am not asking ebay to share their ACTIONS with me or anyone else. I can see if an ACTION was taken by looking at the ID ebay shared with me. If that ID is active, then there were no ACTIONS taken against the account, a warning is not an ACTION in my book, a warning already exists in the user agreement that this type of behavior is unaccepted and would lead to suspension, not warning and the buyer should be very well aware of that, a warning is sent to someone that had no clue.

Second - When one of the offers was accepted, ebay provided the buyer with my seller info, and provided me with the buyer's name, address, phone number, and private email,  All it takes these days is to google the name as I did and find more info than you care for, including their Facebook and LinkedIn contacts.

Trinton said there are other sanctions as well that you wouldn't see.  So just because you don't see them NARU doesn't mean they didn't take any action.  

Like?

He didn't name them off here but eBay does holds, restrictions and suspensions 

So let me get this correct ...

• Hold:  Temporarily limits the ability of the member to make death threats.
  • Restrict:  Sounds like the account can't be used, but when the restriction is removed ... the member could make another death threat.
  • Suspension:  What should always happen for a death threat.

I haven't read the emails of course but what's in the op saying I hope you die of AIDS while incredibly inappropriate isn't a death threat according to criminal law standards   Harassing bullying absolutely   

I get that you don't  agree with the policy but you asked what are actions could be taken and I named them   I didn't make the policy. 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 122 of 151
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@ten_o_nine wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

The ONLY action you could see that Ebay may have taken when looking at any member's ID is if they were NARU'd.  That isn't the only action Ebay could take.  I absolutely understand and respect why you feel that it is the only action the SHOULD take, I'm only saying it isn't the only one available to them.  

It is NOT true that if you don't see the account was NARU'd that no action was taken.  It ONLY means they weren't NARU'd.  Ebay may have dones something else, but unfortunately it isn't anything that we will ever know.  Maybe it was only a warning, IDK.  

I get it.  There is a risk when selling on Ebay because our addresses are shared with trading partners.  If it is something that concerns you, you could consider getting a PO box.  

But when dealing with a person such as you did in this case, I completely respect and understand why you have concerns.  I sure know I would too.  Which is why I would also notify my local PD and the one where the buyer lives.  

Even though I've stated it a couple times already on this thread, I guess I'll say it again as it doesn't appear that some read it.  Just because I can explain a policy or procedure by Ebay doesn't mean that I agree with it.  It ONLY means I can explain it, nothing more.

@mam98031  wrote:

"Maybe it was only a warning, IDK. "

A warning for a death threat?

Those that really get it here understand the seriousness of this issue.  If you don't, that's your prerogative. 

I don't think telling the OP, to consider getting a PO Box, is helpful in this discussion. 

@ten_o_nine 

Message 123 of 151
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@kataggr-44 wrote:

Like I said the OP doesn't want to hear about ebay's rules but a plea from the community that they need to be looked at and changed for situations like this.

I'm not at all sure what we are disagreeing about here.  I've said and so has most everyone else that has posted on this thread are in support of the OP.

I do not presume to speak for the OP in any of my posts, nor do I now.  

When I read your posts, many times I presume you speak for eBay. Smiley Happy

So you are agreeing, that any member who makes a death threat, should be removed from eBay (regardless if it's a first offense)?  Which is what we are saying.

Please also remember there were 6 messages sent to the OP (which were vulgar, racist, and threatening).

Message 124 of 151
latest reply

@kataggr-44 wrote:

You are correct that no one can speak for the OP but I was looking for a better response from ebay.

Trinton said its not allowed and that action would be taken care of.   With the current rules that's really the only response that can be given.  Even if we rallied to change the rules it would take time to change and would have no effect on the current situation the op is already in.  

I'm sure eBay's Internal Policy regarding death threats doesn't allow them.

Lot's of speculation, guessing, and push back here, but let's all wait to see what happens.

Message 125 of 151
latest reply

Look, your opinions and how you define things often fly in the face of others.  You have the right to post them as others have the right to post theirs.  Yours are not more important or more essential than anyone else's.  They are all equal.  You do love to debate with those that have no ability to change any of the things you don't like.  While entertaining, it will often be fruitless for you and just a source of frustration.  But your choice to make.

What the buyer wrote to the OP is beyond horrible.  Not quite a death threat as wishing someone would die is not a death thread in and of itself.  Completely and utterly inappropriate, ABSOLUTELY!  

You stated "I don't think telling the OP, to consider getting a PO Box, is helpful in this discussion. "   I did not the TELL the OP to get a PO box.  There are many things we can consider in life.  Having a PO box is one of them.  There are many Ebay sellers and buyers that use PO boxes.  That is a fact.  It is completely each and every one of us to choose if we want to use one or not.  There is not right or wrong answer to that.  Nor any good or bad.  Simply a choice to be made.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 126 of 151
latest reply

@greg5000 wrote:

@kataggr-44 wrote:

You are correct that no one can speak for the OP but I was looking for a better response from ebay.

Trinton said its not allowed and that action would be taken care of.   With the current rules that's really the only response that can be given.  Even if we rallied to change the rules it would take time to change and would have no effect on the current situation the op is already in.  

Lot's of speculation, guessing, and push back here, but let's all wait to see what happens.

@greg5000 wrote:

@kataggr-44 wrote:

I didn't say policy did allow them in fact writt n policy doesn't allow obscenity Harrassment or threats   The policy on what the actions take. Are however the issue 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 127 of 151
latest reply

@kataggr-44 wrote:

Ebay's rules aren't part of the 10 commandments.  They made them, they can break them just like about every other rule that has changed since I last sold here.  Ebay is a private company that can and has done exactly what it wants to do.  See something; say something; and now do something should be the new rule in today's increasing violent world.

I fully agree with you and I really don't think eBay allows death threats, so all of the conjecture here by a few (as to what eBay won't do), surprises me.

Hopefully this will play out correctly and eBay will remove the member from the site and report them to Law Enforcement.

Message 128 of 151
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

Because your definition of "private information" differs from Ebay doesn't mean your definition over-rides Ebay's.  It simply means you have a different interpretation.  As it stands currently, this is private account information.  So YES under the current policies and procedures you are asking for Ebay to release private account information.

You are correct, the OP does have the buyer's contact information, which is private account information because there was a transaction between them and the buyer.  There is an agreement when you become a member on Ebay that allows Ebay to share this information when a transaction between two members is created.  If that weren't to be allowed, then there would be no reason for any of us to be here.

But that doesn't mean that we each give up all our privacy and have agreed to allow the sharing of other account details.  

You just simply differ with Ebay's definition of account privacy.  That would be something to address with Ebay in an effort to get them to loosen up that definition.

Please don't tell me what my definition of "private" means ...it's not for you to define, and ... it's private. Smiley Surprised

As I previously stated, I'm not asking for eBay to provide any private information.  All I've said is, that any member who makes a death threat, should be removed from eBay.

Thanks for agreeing that I was also correct.

Message 129 of 151
latest reply

I haven't read the emails of course but what's in the op saying I hope you die of AIDS while incredibly inappropriate isn't a death threat according to criminal law standards   Harassing bullying absolutely   

I get that you don't  agree with the policy but you asked what are actions could be taken and I named them   I didn't make the policy. 

The OP's emails are "private" so none of us have read them or should.  The OP also did not tell us details about what was in the messages, but the OP did indicate that there was a death threat.

Message 130 of 151
latest reply

@greg5000 wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

Because your definition of "private information" differs from Ebay doesn't mean your definition over-rides Ebay's.  It simply means you have a different interpretation.  As it stands currently, this is private account information.  So YES under the current policies and procedures you are asking for Ebay to release private account information.

You are correct, the OP does have the buyer's contact information, which is private account information because there was a transaction between them and the buyer.  There is an agreement when you become a member on Ebay that allows Ebay to share this information when a transaction between two members is created.  If that weren't to be allowed, then there would be no reason for any of us to be here.

But that doesn't mean that we each give up all our privacy and have agreed to allow the sharing of other account details.  

You just simply differ with Ebay's definition of account privacy.  That would be something to address with Ebay in an effort to get them to loosen up that definition.

Please don't tell me what my definition of "private" means ...it's not for you to define, and ... it's private. Smiley Surprised

As I previously stated, I'm not asking for eBay to provide any private information.  All I've said is, that any member who makes a death threat, should be removed from eBay.

Thanks for agreeing that I was also correct.

Fine, then you tell Ebay that you have the right to expect them to change how they define private information that it must match your definition.  The information in question is if the buyer's account was hacked or not.  That is what you have said in previous posts that the OP has the right to know.  I get it, it is your opinion that it is not private account information.  Ebay does not agree with you, therefore it is information they wouldn't provide the OP.

From what the OP stated in their opening statement, the Buyer did NOT threaten their life.  What the OP said was "Second stated that they wish I get aids, die and go to hell."  Still no excuse for such a statement and the buyer is way out of line with their unacceptable behavior.  But it is not a threat.  They didn't say they were going to infect them with a disease that is potentially deadly.  I am NOT in any way defending the buyer.  They were wrong to say such a thing on so many levels.  

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 131 of 151
latest reply

@greg5000 wrote:

The OP's emails are "private" so none of us have read them or should.  The OP also did not tell us details about what was in the messages, but the OP did indicate that there was a death threat.

I’m not asking to know what’s in the those emails.  I’m saying what’s in the op while yes inappropriate isn’t a death threat.   

Message 132 of 151
latest reply

@ten_o_nine wrote:

@dhbookds wrote:

Ebay has stated time and again, over any issue, they will not state their actions, nor the path a violator has to take to be sanctioned.  That includes anything about the situation or the violator.........because of privacy issues. 

That's the way it is........

I am not asking ebay to publish their name and actions on the community boards or town square. The only way I know something was done is if I see "not a registered user" next to their ID, no one else will know, other than that means nothing is done, I don't want them to send a warning "Please don't do that again". There were 6 massages and one of them was wishing death on me.

Well, if it is that serious, then file police report. It is one thing when profanity is used (most of us being abused by some crazy eBayers, I don`t bother to call eBay for that and handle them myself), but wishing death is something needs to be reported to police.

Message 133 of 151
latest reply

eBay has reasonable procedures that apply to everyone equally.  If I remember correctly, the early statement by an eBay employee said that they were following those procedures in this case.  I am unclear as to why you go on and on about it.  They are not doing nothing.  We are not privy to the details for privacy reasons. 

Didn't you already say a few days ago that you no longer buy or sell on eBay?  I do not understand why you are still on these boards griping.

FTR, I think everyone agrees that those messages were appalling.  They also seemed out of the blue.  One almost wonders if the person forgot his medication.  Still, eBay should not change the procedure after the fact just because a forum poster who has already said he doesn't like eBay, demands it.  It's not even your account.

Message 134 of 151
latest reply

I think if a platform supposedly has a zero tolerance policy for this type of thing then being removed from the site is the ONLY "action" that should be taken.

Anything less is in effect saying while it may be "policy" it will in fact be "tolerated" (because any buyer is a good buyer. They've actually said that)
Reality is the leading cause of stress.
Message 135 of 151
latest reply