cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

items damaged during shipping

I shipped an item in a custom styroform container in a box in another box and yet the ceramic item broke.

Obviously i have to refund monies to the buyer.  Is there any recourse for me with USPS?

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

It depends on the way you shipped your item. Ground advantage comes with $100 insurance.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

If there was damage to the box itself, it's worth a shot.......or if the box was marked by USPS as damaged.......

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

did buyer send photos of box and product or are you just taking their word? 

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

If the item was (indeed) damaged and the damage was done by USPS, you might have to fight their assertions that it broke because you didn't pack it safely and securely enough. 

Good luck. 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

@beancou-71 

Your USPS Shipping service would need to have had insurance. I believe Ground Advantage and Priority Mail comes with $100 insurance and you are given the opportunity to increase the amount when you purchase postage.

I have always had success filing claims online and submitting photos of damage and a PDF of the eBay Order Details as well as a PDF of the USPS Tracking Log. The USPS has always accepted the eBay Order Details PDF for proof of value.  I have heard stories from others that the USPS rejects all eBay receipts for proof of value (my experience is the USPS has always accepted a PDF of the final eBay Order Details PDF that shows amount paid and breakdown of associated eBay charges related to the transaction).

Is there any recourse for me with USPS?

Only one way to find out:

Request a Domestic Refund | USPS

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

It's worth trying if you have insurance and a buyer willing to cooperate.  I'm guessing you have photos from the buyer?   I recently filed a claim using the provided photos, but USPS also wanted the item taken to a local post office for inspection.   When I refunded my buyer, I mentioned this possibility to them and kindly hoped they would hang on to the packaging/item.  They did not, so I was denied. 

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Sounds like maybe it wasn't damaged in shipping after all.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 8 of 9
latest reply

@beancou-71 

@fern*wood 

Good topic to bring up. When I first hear from a customer about a damaged item, I request they set the item and packaging aside until my USPS Claim is resolved. I may also request pictures/additional pictures. I also let them know their refund is not dependent on my claim with the USPS. Buyers have been happy to help. So far, the USPS has not requested an item be dropped off, but it is a real possibility.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply