cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

if buyer does not pick up parcel?

I have not contacted buyer yet but shipment has been at the post office for couple of days.

I was just wondering what if buyer does not pick it up at all, in a reasonable world buyer would be wrong and I should not be punished but this is eBay so how does it go?

This transaction had slightly suspicious start since buyer claimed that phone number I wrote to the tracked letter is wrong (I sent him picture the day I shipped) even though it is the exact number he had in his eBay address. Delivery has been attempted but apparently he wasn't home and now the shipment has been at the post office for couple days.

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: if buyer does not pick up parcel?

I was just wondering what if buyer does not pick it up at all, in a reasonable world buyer would be wrong and I should not be punished but this is eBay so how does it go?

@fin-william 

I would think that if your buyer didn't pick the package up by a reasonable amount of time, the package will be returned to you. Not a 'right or wrong' judgement... but not punishable by eBay. Hang in there.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

So, if buyer does not pick it up, he can't:

- open return request (shipping should be paid by him according to my return policy and I guess in order to return something you should first have it)

- file item not received request (since item could be received if he would just want to receive it)

- open item not as described case (if he doesn't pick it up how would he know whether or not it is as described)

in ideal world none of those claims should be possible, but since this ebay I'm just asking.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

@fin-william wrote:

So, if buyer does not pick it up, he can't:

- open return request (shipping should be paid by him according to my return policy and I guess in order to return something you should first have it)

- file item not received request (since item could be received if he would just want to receive it)

- open item not as described case (if he doesn't pick it up how would he know whether or not it is as described)

in ideal world none of those claims should be possible, but since this ebay I'm just asking.

@fin-william 

- Return request... nope.
- Item not received request... just load your tracking into the claim and you'll be covered.
- Item not as described case... nope.

That's how I see it, anyway. Understand your concerns, though... 😉

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

As of right now I have a package that was delivered to a PO box Dec5th.  The buyer has not picked it up even tracking states they have notified the buyer multiple times. A return label has been issued, so its just a matter of time and it will be returned to me. Its been almost 1.5 months so far.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

According to info I found the post office of buyers country will hold the shipment for either 5 or 10 days, there was example picture of what the notification of arrived item looks like and there were checkboxes for those two options. The item arrived at the post office on 17th and now it is 22th in my time zone.

Let's see what happens.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

They can open a Request for REturn is an item not as described claim.  There are other reasons too, but since they have nothing to return, then all you'd have to do is tell them to ship it back.  When they can't do that within the timeframe for a Request for return it will close in your favor.

They could file an INR, but you need to upload the tracking number to the claim.  Then from inside the claim I'd send a note to the buyer that the item was ready for pick up by them for several days.  When they didn't pick up the item, it started its trip on its way back to you.  If the Ebay rules of us here in the US are the same for you, when this happens Ebay considers it as delivered and you should win an INR.  But make sure you cover yourself and contact Ebay too.

I would suggest that you contact Ebay for Business on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter for the better trained CSRs.

Here are your options for contacting Ebay Customer Service.  Please be aware that for social media CS, you send them a Private Message and briefly explain what your problem or issue is.  Feel free to leave your Name, address, phone number and/or your email address in this message.  It is private and secure and it may help to speed up the response for you.

https://twitter.com/askebay

https://www.facebook.com/eBay/

https://www.instagram.com/ebayforsellers/

Your options will be on the left.  If you use the link below you can only get to the Automated Assistant or Chat box type AGENT in the box and hit enter. You will then get more options.  Not all options are available 24/7.  It will depend on staffing available.  So sometimes you can request a call back and sometimes you can't.  Sometimes you have the Chat option available and other times it won't me.  If it is important to you to use one of those options, just try back later.

If you use a cell phone or other mobile device, you may need to turn off your Spam filter so that Ebay can call you.

If you are a seller outside of the US or Canada, you will need to use the Chat Option.

https://www.ebay.com/help/home

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Thanks, I will contact eBay through those channels if needed.

Buyer still has not picked up the shipment and now I contacted his country's post office, turns out that according to the postal worked there will not be paper notice left of arrived item. 

It is tracked letter, not package so I'm not sure if he was correct or at least I think with letters there should always be paper notice left since phone number I think is optional, but I'm not sure.... but I did now contact the buyer informing him about the situation although he of course has the tracking and I'm surprised if he has not tracked the item at all.

I still have a feeling that this transaction might be problematic since he claimed that the phone number is correct in his eBay profile, but that's the exact number I wrote to the letter and he claimed it was wrong....however, according to the postal worked he until Feb 7 to pick up the shipment so the storage time is longer than I thought.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

@fin-william 

That is interesting.  How are they suppose to know there is a package waiting for them if there is no notification made to them that one is available for pick up??  Odd procedure!

Incorrect buyer contact info on Ebay is NOT the responsibility of the seller.  BTW that, if true, is a reason that Ebay can protect you too.  All members, whether buyer or seller are responsible to keep their contact info true and correct on Ebay.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

In my country when you sell domestic parcel the default way to send notice is SMS and you have to pay extra to send paper notice, maybe that really is the case here although it was tracked letter and not parcel.

However, buyer has now picked it up, relatively quickly after I contacted him so now I have to just wait 6 months after which I can say for sure I get to keep the money from the item xD

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

@fin-william wrote:

In my country when you sell domestic parcel the default way to send notice is SMS and you have to pay extra to send paper notice, maybe that really is the case here although it was tracked letter and not parcel.

However, buyer has now picked it up, relatively quickly after I contacted him so now I have to just wait 6 months after which I can say for sure I get to keep the money from the item xD

This is a rule that is in place for all sellers.  It is not common for a buyer to wait all that time to then file a claim with their Credit Card company.  FYI, if they didn't pay with a CC or Debit card, they don't have 6 months to file, all they have is the rules on Ebay which is 30 days.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply