cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how can ebay still allow ''some sellers'' to list N95 masks while removing other listings ?

blows my mind that identical listings for masks were removed by ebay  while others are allowed to continue and even relist.. any given day you can search ebay  ''US''  for'' N95 masks'' and find over 2,000 listings.  95% of those are price gouging and yet they are allowed to continue selling while others were/are  kicked off. (Ebay dosent mind collecting the associated seller fees on these items either. )   I realize there are folks whoe have the funds and wish to purchase these masks and sanitizers for the safety of their own families. So its good that ebay allows ''some sellers'' to still provide those to the public at whatever price.

Has any ebay sellers whos listings were deleted/banned  tried other avenues of selling their n95 or sanitizer products to the public ?  

Message 1 of 112
latest reply
111 REPLIES 111

how can ebay still allow ''some sellers'' to list N95 masks while removing other listings ?

blows my mind that identical listings for masks were removed by ebay while others are allowed to continue and even relist.. any given day you can search ebay ''US'' for'' N95 masks'' and find over 2,000 listings.

In my 20 years of buying and selling here, eBay's policy enforcement has never been accurate, complete, consistent or timely. And not that there are a billion listings, I can't image it will improve.

Message 2 of 112
latest reply

I only see about 200 listings........

Message 3 of 112
latest reply

When the policy was announced, I set up and saved a search for 

N95 (mask, masks)

When I first set it up, there were over 30,000 Results.  But over the last couple of days it has been down to just a couple hundred, but the total goes up and down.  At this moment, there are only 107 results for that particular search. Most of them are less than 24 hours old. A few go back to early March or even older, but clicking on the oldest listings brings up that "We've looked everywhere" error page with the kid in the orange jacket.

I can't figure out why eBay has been able to remove over 99% of the listings that were active at the time of the announcement, but is apparently unable to block new listings from being launched.

Message 4 of 112
latest reply

if i go step by step through a new listing to sell, I can still list and sell 'disposable respirator masks'
Business & Industrial > Facility Maintenance & Safety > Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) > Masks & Respirators > Disposable Filter Masks.. nothing to block it.. I just typed 'n95' into the search and narrow it to "US only" and to "buy it now" and i get ''2,418 results for n95''
Message 5 of 112
latest reply

I see n95 shows alot of listings in motors.......which are NOT masks........

Message 6 of 112
latest reply

It doesn't seem to be fair  to block some sellers  from selling masks  but not others . Furthermore the logic behind the ban  is bewildering . According to the reports I've been listening to we are now facing a pandemic  . That means  especially the elderly and the people already suffering from autoimmune disorders are going to need all the protection  they can get . Why in the world would there be a ban ? Seems rather heartless . Especially since there are sellers who are selling these items for a reasonable price  and haven't raised their prices  just because they can.  I purchased several protective masks  here yesterday [ just to be on the safe side ]  before that seller too  got banned . If this virus starts to get more out of hand  then my family will have a little better protection. Tulips 

Message 7 of 112
latest reply

2 weeks ago there were 2000. 1 week ago there were 16000.

Ever play wack-a-mole?

If they got it down to 200, the system and folks watching are doing pretty good.

BTW, all the 'other' facilitators are doing the same thing. 

One more note- 30 miles from downtown LA, in the OC, all grocery stores have everything that is supposedly being 'hoarded'. In fact, 500% more, so 'hoarding' is just more 'fake news'. 

Message 8 of 112
latest reply

@turquoisetulips wrote:

It doesn't seem to be fair  to block some sellers  from selling masks  but not others . ... . Especially since there are sellers who are selling these items for a reasonable price  and haven't raised their prices  just because they can....

The listings ARE being removed.

If items were sold here at a reasonable price, they'd just be bought up by opportunists, to sell elsewhere.  As we can see in the Announcements section, eBay tried to discourage price gouging, then several days later when that didn't work, they instituted the complete ban.

Removing eBay as a way for opportunists to sell the items at inflated prices discourages them from clearing out the supplies at regular-priced outlets such as your local CVS. The only way to keep prices from being ridiculously inflated is to remove the opportunities to sell them at above-market prices, e.g., eBay auctions. If your local CVS shelves aren't being cleaned out by opportunistic eBay sellers, then they are more able to keep them in stock for grandma to purchase.

Message 9 of 112
latest reply

@corvettestainless wrote: ... 30 miles from downtown LA, in the OC, all grocery stores have everything that is supposedly being 'hoarded'. In fact, 500% more, so 'hoarding' is just more 'fake news'. 

It's more likely "selective reporting." Some Costcos did report long lines and empty shelves, but others (including one my own relative went to on Saturday) seemed completely normal.

Message 10 of 112
latest reply

@hiser_industries wrote: ..... I just typed 'n95' into the search and narrow it to "US only" and to "buy it now" and i get ''2,418 results for n95''

As noted in the other post, that search is too general. It brings up many results which aren't the masks in question, including auto parts, stamps, dolls, and this photo of Shirley Temple:

Screen Shot 2020-03-10 at 10.59.46 AM.png

Message 11 of 112
latest reply

@hiser_industries wrote:

any given day you can search ebay  ''US''  for'' N95 masks'' and find over 2,000 listings.

Any given day there are probably 10,000 removed. Every on that gets removed some fool puts another one up. Ebay tries to keep up, but with that many being added daily some skip by for awhile. Eventually those you see will be gone but once again, others will be added.

Message 12 of 112
latest reply

Maybe the reason is that ebay doesn't have enough volunteers to patrol and report all the listings.  Policing a platform this big can cost money.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 13 of 112
latest reply

Looks like there is only 44 listings under N95 and hundreds of other sellers using different  word descriptions trying to hide under  Ebays search algorithms .  I see some sponsored sellers listing left alone???  Keep in mind that Ebay adamantly denies that they have search algorithms when I had an issue with ebay in the past regarding ebay accounts selling counterfeits.  The CSR claimed it was a right to privacy issue.  Lol.  Now they claim they are taking a moral high ground  on price gouging of these mask and disinfectant wipes.  Only reason why ebay likely has taken this stance on price opportunist is that there were probably thousands of complaints bogging down there system.  Off topic but here is how inconsistent ebay policies are.  I inquired about sellers from China selling counterfeits and cadmium laced (cancer causing) products.  I went as far as to report specific sellers and not a single one of these seller have been banned or removed to date.  Apparently moral high ground does not qualify here.  

Message 14 of 112
latest reply

Think they show listed but when you click on them you get the "we looked everywhere and couldn't find it screen" think the bots are in charge,if anyone wants these you can still buy the construction type masks CHEAP they work just as good (according to the tv doc's) but aren't sold that way until can get a bill passed through congress to allow hospitals to use these  and manufacturer to sell  to for said purpose without fear of lawsuits.

Message 15 of 112
latest reply