cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

first class packages taking up to 10 days...ebay telling buyers 3 days

why is ebay telling my buyers they will get their items in 3 days????  My economy choice is Parcel Post, which when selected, tells us sellers about 2 - 9 days delivery time, SO WHY IS EBAY TELLING THE BUYER 3 DAYS????  I actually ship using first class, but knowing how unreliable USPS can be, I only offer Parcel Post in the listing to give myself a buffer, even though i always ship with first class.

Not interested in adding another day of handling as that is not correct--I ship within 24 hours, even on saturday.

what's the solution?  Just got another buyer that wants a refund for a late shipment...should I be opting in to Guaranteed Delivery program?

Message 1 of 49
latest reply
48 REPLIES 48

Re: first class packages taking up to 10 days...ebay telling buyers 3 days

@scotchtapeboutique2017 wrote:

@duggmills wrote:

I looked at one of your listings to see that you ship USPS parcel select ground and if I buy the DVD now I should have it by 13 JUL 18.  That's five business days.

Guaranteed Delivery is purposely deceiving on the part of eBay. It tells the buyer the item will be delivered to them in 3 days or whatever. We know that isn't the real world case.  It should say Guaranteed Shipment.   Guaranteed to be in the hands of the shipper in 3 days or as specified in the listing.   Whoever at eBay came up with guaranteed delivery needs some serious real world experience selling experience.

As for your buyer complaining about late delivery, tell them you fulfilled your end of the deal, you don't control the bleeping Post Office. 

By the way, no one needs a DVD that soon or they should have paid for FedEx overnight.  It's not a bleeping instruction video on transplanting human hearts.

thanks for the help.  I spend little time here these days so this is all catching me a bit off-guard.

Apparently I opted in for Guaranteed Shipping date, not the door-to-door thing.  On this particular order, I shipped not only within one business day as I have in the listing, this one went out same day.

So I hit that metric but not sure if I am covered if the buyer complains to ebay.  They chose Parcel Select on June 27, I shipped June 27, ebay promised/estimated July 2, it got there July 5.  Buyer wants a refund without return.  A note on the Guaranteed Shipping option in my account says they will cover claims from buyers up to June 30.  So wondering what I am responsible for since it's now after June 30.

If it was GD, and you shipped within your handling time, eBay covers it.

Message 16 of 49
latest reply

@goodluckselling wrote:

why is ebay telling my buyers they will get their items in 3 days????  My economy choice is Parcel Post, which when selected, tells us sellers about 2 - 9 days delivery time, SO WHY IS EBAY TELLING THE BUYER 3 DAYS????  I actually ship using first class, but knowing how unreliable USPS can be, I only offer Parcel Post in the listing to give myself a buffer, even though i always ship with first class.

Not interested in adding another day of handling as that is not correct--I ship within 24 hours, even on saturday.

what's the solution?  Just got another buyer that wants a refund for a late shipment...should I be opting in to Guaranteed Delivery program?

You should be listing the same service you are using.  Your loophole way of showing a slower service and using a faster servioce is not doing you any good and even hurting you.

eBay estimates deliver dates based on

• Your location to the buyers location
  • The service you are using for delivery
  • your handling time
  • historical data from previous deliveries like yours.

eBay completes over one billion transactions daily worldwide.  This is a huge data pool to get very accurate data to use in determining a delivery date.

You should be listing the same service you are using.  Your use of a loophole is hurting your sales and not protecitng you in estimated delivery dates.  As I mentioned historical data is showing your items being delivered quicker than your listing would indicate.  eBay uses this info so that loophole is useless and you should quit doing that. 

Also eBay shows buyers estimated deliver dates before they actually buy and pay.  That estimate is based on the same criteria I mentioned above.  You are losing sales because the estimated date is longer and buyers certainly take into consideration this estimate before they buy.

I am not sure why you think this is a good idea?  If can not be honest about your listing and selling habits, why should anyone believe you as a creditable seller?

Good Luck Selling!

I UPGRADE the shipping...your response appears to be responding to the opposite action.  It's not that I am being dishonest, so you know where you can stick that rude observation about my selling/listing habits.  the problem here is that ebay is promising something the USPS can not deliver so I am trying to do whatever I can to let the customer know up front that their package will take more than 3 days.

none of what you state makes sense.  i am not losing buyers because I am offering parcel select and the buyers are getting longer delivery estimates...I WISH THEY WERE!  the problem is they are getting OVERLY OPTIMISTIC estimations.  This is just one example of statements above that make no sense to me. 

As for historical data:  exactly how many sellers fall outside of this giant worldwide delivery estimate bell curve?  I have a hard time believing Parcel Post is 3 days anywhere...

But you are suggesting start offering first class as my lowest cost option that my worries will go away because ebay will start giving more reasonable shipping estimates?

Message 17 of 49
latest reply

@buyselljack2016 wrote:

@duggmills wrote:

I looked at one of your listings to see that you ship USPS parcel select ground and if I buy the DVD now I should have it by 13 JUL 18.  That's five business days.

Guaranteed Delivery is purposely deceiving on the part of eBay. It tells the buyer the item will be delivered to them in 3 days or whatever. We know that isn't the real world case.  It should say Guaranteed Shipment.   Guaranteed to be in the hands of the shipper in 3 days or as specified in the listing.   Whoever at eBay came up with guaranteed delivery needs some serious real world experience selling experience.

As for your buyer complaining about late delivery, tell them you fulfilled your end of the deal, you don't control the bleeping Post Office. 

By the way, no one needs a DVD that soon or they should have paid for FedEx overnight.  It's not a bleeping instruction video on transplanting human hearts.

thanks for the help.  I spend little time here these days so this is all catching me a bit off-guard.

Apparently I opted in for Guaranteed Shipping date, not the door-to-door thing.  On this particular order, I shipped not only within one business day as I have in the listing, this one went out same day.

So I hit that metric but not sure if I am covered if the buyer complains to ebay.  They chose Parcel Select on June 27, I shipped June 27, ebay promised/estimated July 2, it got there July 5.  Buyer wants a refund without return.  A note on the Guaranteed Shipping option in my account says they will cover claims from buyers up to June 30.  So wondering what I am responsible for since it's now after June 30.

If it was GD, and you shipped within your handling time, eBay covers it.

under GD, I had selected the Guaranteed Ship option and more than met my handling time...so i guess that means im covered.

Message 18 of 49
latest reply

@missjen831 wrote:

@reallynicestamps wrote:

Business days. Not calendar days.

Doesn't eBay give a window, like between July 2 and July 5th?

Tell your customer to open a Dispute and let eBay sort it out.

You can always demand a return, although you may have to pay return postage.

If you send a Return Shipping Label, and the customer does not use it, he loses the Dispute and eventually USPS refunds your payment.

Another thought. Was USPS closed on July 3 or 5 for the Independence Day holiday?

Our Canada Post does that when a national holiday falls on a weekday.

only july 4

so was the buyer promised that date or was it an estimation?  

buyer seems to think it was a promise date...

Even if you aren’t in the GD program, eBay delivery dates are no longer estimates in a sense, because ebay expects you to get the item to the buyer BY the latest delivery estimate. If the item arrives 1 day after, the buyer can file an SNAD and return at your expense simply because the item was late. I can’t tell you how much I despise that. eBay says this an industry standard too, by the way. I mean, returning items that arrives late. 

so then what is the solution for me?  I have this problem frequently with first class packages...they take up to 10 days sometimes...they seem to take days between stops...im seeing 10 - 12 day first class package delivery times.  How do I avoid problems?  Only offering premium will not work--these are usually lightweight items around $15 - 30...priority never impressed me either but i doubt customers will spring for it.

Message 19 of 49
latest reply

But you are suggesting start offering first class as my lowest cost option that my worries will go away because ebay will start giving more reasonable shipping estimates?

nevermind, i already know that answer...i started out offering First Class and had the same problem, which is why I ultimately switched to Parcel to stop getting burned by late first class packages...

i guess i just have to move to another area of the country to satisfy ebay's delivery promises?  anyone know of a location where USPS lives up to its promises?

Or do i just wither here on the vine until i get enough complaints to start the BELOW STANDARD downward spiral?

Message 20 of 49
latest reply

I agree
Message 21 of 49
latest reply

If it was GD, and you shipped within your handling time, eBay covers it.

under GD, I had selected the Guaranteed Ship option and more than met my handling time...so i guess that means im covered.

_________

https://pages.ebay.com/shipping/guaranteed-delivery.html

eBay will give the buyer these options (none of which are "keep the item for free"):

• Receive a voucher that you can use on a future eBay purchase (if shipping was free).
  • Get a refund for the shipping cost (if you paid for shipping).
  • Return the item for free and get a full refund if the listing offers returns.
  • Let the seller know that you didn’t receive your item.
penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 22 of 49
latest reply

Has anyone mentioned that looking at your own item shipping time from your zip code to your zip code will show much faster shipping, “Fast and Free”, than a buyer will see in their zip code. Put in San Diego CA zip 91911 or Portland ME zip 04101 and look at the shipping time.

Message 23 of 49
latest reply

nevermind, i already know that answer...i started out offering First Class and had the same problem, which is why I ultimately switched to Parcel to stop getting burned by late first class packages...

i guess i just have to move to another area of the country to satisfy ebay's delivery promises?  anyone know of a location where USPS lives up to its promises?

Or do i just wither here on the vine until i get enough complaints to start the BELOW STANDARD downward spiral?

sounds like im not protected if I opt out either?  or does that just kill my visibility/sales?

Message 24 of 49
latest reply

@1stufftobuy wrote:

Has anyone mentioned that looking at your own item shipping time from your zip code to your zip code will show much faster shipping, “Fast and Free”, than a buyer will see in their zip code. Put in San Diego CA zip 91911 or Portland ME zip 04101 and look at the shipping time.

i alluded to that above where i said i wanted to see what the buyer saw, not what I saw from my location.

but are we all in agreement that we cant see the estimated delivery date the customer gets from ebay??  I still haven't found it but some here seem to think the info is readily available....

Message 25 of 49
latest reply

@1stufftobuy wrote:

i alluded to that above where i said i wanted to see what the buyer saw, not what I saw from my location.

but are we all in agreement that we cant see the estimated delivery date the customer gets from ebay??  I still haven't found it but some here seem to think the info is readily available....

It's in the Order Details .. 

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 26 of 49
latest reply

Just another day at the office... eBay promises buyers impossible service so they'll buy- after they get the fees it's YOUR problem.

Chaos is NOT an "industry standard".
Message 27 of 49
latest reply

quote - It's in the Order Details ..

Then there's an issue.

I have one where payment was made Thursday July 5th, I have 2 days handling so I am expected to ship by Monday, July 9th, yet it's showing estimated delivery of Tuesday July 10th.

There is no way FCP is going to make it across the country in 1 day.

They have no right to not take my handling time into account when giving their pie in the sky 'estimates'

Reality is the leading cause of stress.
Message 28 of 49
latest reply

sounds like im not protected if I opt out either?  or does that just kill my visibility/sales?

My understanding of the GD program is that if Ebay opted you into it and your listings offer 1 day handling and you meet that, then the buyer can file a complaint with Ebay for a refund of their shipping fees only.  They do not get to keep the item and get a refund, thats just another buyer wanting to scam the system as usual.

The buyer needs to contact Ebay who will refund the shipping cost IF the package actually arrived later than the 3 business days they promised and you shipped on time with a scan proving it.  However the buyer does now have the option of returning the item for a refund due to it arriving late, but Ebay does pay for at least the original shipping cost and I am not sure about the return shipping cost.  But have the buyer contact Ebay as they state they will handle all aspects of this type of issue and the seller does not have to be involved with it.  Ebay also stated that if the buyer left a negative because of this that they would remove it as you did your part if you mailed it on time with a scan proving you mailed it on time.

Good luck, that is why I opted out of the GD program immediately when EBay opted me in.  I also offer Economy shipping (due to the same reason you do) or Priority Shipping only , but also mail my items via First class to also try and get it there timely.  However I do use Stamps.com so Ebay does not see what method of shipping I use and therefore does not make any changes to my estimated delivery times.  I am in Los Angeles and very few of my items going to the Midwest or East coast arrive within 3 business days even though I mail the next day, so I opted out to avoid the hassles you are now having to deal with.

Message 29 of 49
latest reply

@penguins_dont_fly wrote:

@1stufftobuy wrote:

It's in the Order Details ..

Not for me...my order details show no such info

Message 30 of 49
latest reply