cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

feeling totally defeated

I am old and Ebay has been a great way for me to survive this economy.  I spent the entire weekend depressed and in tears.

The feedback situation has left me defeated. With the uptake of non payment, I put a payment within 24 hrs  unless other arrangements made. My lastest was from someone with no sales that said I demanded payment in 2 hours, not true.  I have purchased thousand of dollars in product, I have 750 items and tried so very hard almost everyday to post, my husband gets them out same day, I spend hours on descriptions.  My rating at 98.8% after 1 year.  and only 182 feed back out of 500+ sales. I feel so vulnerable to  have had 2 disatisfied  customers control my fate and then how much longer before another. 

Ebay did back me up lately on one customer that wanted to return, which gave me hope.

Alot of you with thousands of sales did you go though this? I worked in retail for years, but my job was not in jeopardy each time someone was displeased. Always trying to make the customer happy , but with this system you get blind sided!

When should I liquidate, as  this is very shakey ground and dont want to be holding this inventory with out recouping my investment.

Message 1 of 73
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: feeling totally defeated

The non-payment is completely preventable. Just change your listings to immediate payment required. That way they can't buy it if they don't pay right away. That issue goes away.

Your performance measurement has nothing to do with feedback. I didn't like it when I got an unwarranted negative feedback either, but not to worry about it. Don't take it personal. But, if you aren't enjoying what you are doing, figure out a way to change it.

(And I am old too.)

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 73
latest reply
72 REPLIES 72

The thing is that you can’t make up your own rules.  eBay provides for four days to make a payment.  Your unauthorized and unwelcome terms EARNED you two negatives.  

frankly, I’d be suspicious of a seller that pings me several times in a 24 hour period, telling me to pay or else face a cancellation.

Message 2 of 73
latest reply

The non-payment is completely preventable. Just change your listings to immediate payment required. That way they can't buy it if they don't pay right away. That issue goes away.

Your performance measurement has nothing to do with feedback. I didn't like it when I got an unwarranted negative feedback either, but not to worry about it. Don't take it personal. But, if you aren't enjoying what you are doing, figure out a way to change it.

(And I am old too.)

Message 3 of 73
latest reply

Your real concern should be that you are cancelling sales. That will damage your performance rating. You could lose the ability to sell if you keep doing that. If you don't change your listing to immediate payment required, then you have to follow the eBay policies of allowing them time to pay, then following the process for cancelling the sale. 

Message 4 of 73
latest reply

It's sad to think of someone depressed and in tears for the entire weekend.

However, as has been pointed out, part of this was your responsibility since you used terms (Pay in 24 hrs) that were against rules and could not be enforced.

You need to continue to work hard to make each transaction a positive one in the eyes of the buyer.

The fact that the person had no sales had no weight in this situation.  There are lots of us who are only buyers and there are lots of us who have more than one ID. 

When/if someone leaves a negative (hope this doesn't happen again), if you feel you have to reply, do it calmly and professionally).  I know you know better.  Those dissatisfied customers are not controlling your fate unless you allow it to happen.  

Message 5 of 73
latest reply

I've been here a long time and consider myself old too, so I'm going to be honest with you.  You are defeating yourself.  As others mentioned, we can't set our own rules to override ebay's rules.   If you are having a problem with non-payers, there are ways to deal with that, but not your way.   Cancelling sales is a terrible way to go.  Making demands of and arguing with buyers is a recipe for defeat.

Feedback isn't so important, but how you respond is. 

Message 6 of 73
latest reply

Since I run auctions I am prepared to wait out 5 or more days on repeat buyers for payment. They often are bidding on other of my items ending a week later. I would not have state payment within 24 hours as you can't force buyers to pay that way. But since you simply sell buy it now lots you can select immediate payment on them. Would that not be simpler? Your feedback is quiet low do you not include in shipments business card saying something along the lines of please leave 5 star feedback when you are satisfied with your purchase? But on that note I would not let the negative or neutral feedback bother you. What is important is are you still making daily sales? That is what should be most important. You have to be business minded in this game you can't let emotions get the better of you. Keep listing, keep selling, keep going. Forget the two feedbacks. But try not to cancel sales at the same time.

Message 7 of 73
latest reply

FWIW I have no problem buying from sellers with less than perfect feedback. Dont sweat a couple of negatives. 

Message 8 of 73
latest reply

Wow think your a little harsh? I see a place in my store that you can enclude your policys.  I dont make up my own rules and by the way I pay when I buy anything or as quoted in the EBAY reminder, "ready to ship can you tell me when I can expect payment"

Message 9 of 73
latest reply

@tesa6240 wrote:

The feedback situation has left me defeated. With the uptake of non payment, I put a payment within 24 hrs  unless other arrangements made.

eBay buyers have 4 full days to pay - perhaps because eBay recognizes that people have lives and go outdoors and do things on weekends and do not sit in from the of the computer all day because you want your money faster.

If you want to circumvent the rules of the venue by cancelling transactions after 24 hours, you need to stop violating eBay policy by lying about the reason you are canceling transactions. You need to cancel those as out of stock and take the defects. 

You are trying to impose rules on your buyers that the venue does not support. You brought this on yourself by trying to enforce payment terms that do not align with eBay's policies. 

Message 10 of 73
latest reply

Pretty cruel for someone with a whole 171 feedbacks, not helpful to another seller at all.

Message 11 of 73
latest reply

Thank you so much for your response. I love doing this. I do take it personal and I guess I need to buck up a little. 

How do I change 750 items to immediate pay?

You are kind thank you and well wishes for your continued success.

Message 12 of 73
latest reply

Don't know what policies you believe you can "enclude", but you cannot require a buyer to pay any earlier unless your listings are set at fixed price, immediate payment required.

All of us have to follow eBay's policies and rules if we want to sell here.  

Message 13 of 73
latest reply

If you don't have the patience for 4 days to payments, stop listing.   Tried and true time period from eBay is long term tested and works.  People may buy in middle of their work pay periods etc, unable to pay in 24 hours.  Adding immediate pay will lessen your work load, but may hurt your sales.  As to % of those leaving feedback, get over that one, its better than ours, and we have a lot of feedback.  Many people just don't leave feedback, it takes time and they are selfish, they got their item, not going to do feedback.  Negatives happen, learn from them, over time you will see less.

Message 14 of 73
latest reply

Thanks for all those that helped me with my Question.  I send the prepared message from Ebay that states something like " cant send item till payment recieved and when can I expect payment" to the customers.  many have responded in kind my saying when I can expect it. I work with alot of people.  When you recieve no answers to the inquiry it has led me to believe that they are "bots" as I have had an ungodly amount of them. I will take the constructive critisum  in a positive way and learn from it.

Message 15 of 73
latest reply