cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

feedback extortion

I sold a set of Used wheels. I took multiple,  large,clear images of each wheel and grouped together. The description says to powdercoat them. They are vintage, used, rare and in demand, but the price reflected in suggesting they should be refinished. 

The buyer sent me this message because a shop (He says) is giving him an outrageous price to paint them: 

If you work with me about this deal, then I will not put negative feedback if you’re not respond and not work with me I will put a negative feedback because if I have to spend close to $2000 to complete the whole thing

That's more than the wheels sold for and absolutely no place would charge that amount. He's trying to rip me off 😞 

I just got the message today, so he hasnt left feedback YET... what do i do? 

thank you for your help

Message 1 of 31
latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

feedback extortion

I would respond with 

"Hello- the listing clearly stated they needed to be refinished. If you did not find out the cost of that prior to buying, that was your responsiblity and has nothing to do with me. Extorting a 'not negative' feedback is against ebay rules so I will be turning you in for "feedback extorsion" and you may be removed from ebay all together (just google 'ebay feedback extortion')"

More than likely 1 of 2 things will happen

1.) he ignores and leaves the feedback (if he does, contact ebay for business on facebook and 'try' to get it removed, letting them know the 'message' you received) it MAY get removed, may not. No big deal, you will get past it, but at least you keep the sale. 

2.) he does nothing

Message 2 of 31
latest reply

feedback extortion

Or.....the OP could bypass your proposed, and potentially inflammatory, response, and just report them for feedback extortion.

Message 3 of 31
latest reply

feedback extortion

I wouldn't threaten to turn him in.

Just do it.

Pre emptive action before he can try a NAD claim.

Silly question probably, but wouldn't tires get dirty and wear anyway? Why would anyone be painting (?powdercoating?) them?

Message 4 of 31
latest reply

feedback extortion

IMO your condition warning was inadequate for a $2k item.

Many buyers including myself would have no clue what for powder coating or use as is meant in terms of flaws.

You could get these back under an MBG claim for not as described.

Consider what you might do to reach an accommodation with the buyer.

Message 5 of 31
latest reply

feedback extortion

"Tires" and "wheels" are not the same thing.  "Tires" are made of rubber.  "Wheels" are usually some sort of metal.  But you're right about that being a silly question.

Message 6 of 31
latest reply

feedback extortion

I agree with @hartungcards and @reallynicestamps 

I wouldn't threaten the buyer, I would just report the buyer. You can easily do that by clicking the drop down menu in the messaged called "Actions" then click "Report message". Next click Threatening in the box that says explain the issue, indicate that the buyer is threatening to leave negative feedback if you don't comply with their request. 
IMG_1357.jpeg

Message 7 of 31
latest reply

feedback extortion

I was considering getting my wheels rechromed but come to find many places are no longer doing wheels and the cost including freight was ridiculous. Even powder coating isn't cheap. Often cheaper to just get new rims. I was only even considering it because the OEM aren't available new anymore.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 8 of 31
latest reply

feedback extortion

I know what I'd do to reach an accommodation with the buyer.  I'd report him for feedback extortion.

Message 9 of 31
latest reply

feedback extortion

@compositelab   here r the relevant eBay links on  how to deal with your situation, in the meantime, i would not engage in any form with the buyer>

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/rules-policies-buyers/buying-practices-policy?id=4374

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/feedback-policies/feedback-misuse-policy?id=5030

Message 10 of 31
latest reply

feedback extortion

Hello. Sympathies; it is upsetting to have this kind of situation. I suggest that you do NOT engage with the buyer any further as it will only inflame the problem. You need to immediately report the threatening message to eBay. I would do this via the method outlined by @ebooksdiva and, right after that, I would telephone eBay to talk with a representative to get them to document in their records about how this situation developed and how it is causing you distress. Try to remember that this is a scammer and that this is one of the situations in which eBay totally has your back. But, you need to act now to get that protection. I hope this helps.

Message 11 of 31
latest reply

feedback extortion

The seller must communicate something to the buyer.

Message 12 of 31
latest reply

feedback extortion

You definitely should reply at least one more time to the buyer which would show good faith to anyone at eBay if he does leave a neg.  Not doing so will put you in an unfavorable position to eBay. I would keep it short and sweet remembering that an eBay rep may be looking at what you sent down the road. You don't owe anything to the buyer at this point other than to remind them what the listing stated and that they should have figured out the cost of handling the wheels before hitting the BUY key.

Message 13 of 31
latest reply

feedback extortion

"The seller must communicate something to the buyer."

Not really.  eBay will take care of this for the seller once the feedback extortion is reported.  The buyer will get the short and sweet message directly from eBay.

Message 14 of 31
latest reply

feedback extortion

@hartungcards wrote:

Or.....the OP could bypass your proposed, and potentially inflammatory, response, and just report them for feedback extortion.

@hartungcards which has proven time and again that 'reporting' does Nothing; 

Message 15 of 31
latest reply