cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

failed GIA authentication by Ebay

I sold a Mikimoto necklace via Ebay. I sent it over to California's GIA office. I thought it was gonna be a good experience because they sound really professional and the buyer can get a GIA certificate. But the result came back today and said the exam failed because of the metal purity of the clasp. 

The necklace that I am selling is a pearl necklace. It has a clasp signed with SIL (silver). Usually people look at the clasp to identify authenticity from the hallmark and the status of the string (if it is much used or not). Also, people buy it for the pearls... So I do not think that metal purity is a thing... Also, on some online forums, Mikimoto lovers have talked about the component of Mikimoto clasps, that the brand usually uses a mixture of materials. it sounded complex, like even with a silver clasp, they sometimes plate it with other materials first, etc. etc. 

Ebay said the hallmark is authentic and so do the pearls. 

Then, I asked Ebay if they could give me their exam result of the actual metals detected and their ratio, and if there is silver at all. But it turned out that they did not actually have the reference regarding the standard metal ratio used by the brand and also they do not know what the actual material component of the clasp is for this... They just said that it is not completely silver.

I am speechless...

I am selling it over other platforms in the future so it should not be a big problem. But I feel very much offended that my listing now is taken down and it has a mark on it saying policy violation. And I feel upset because they gave out a wrong report without sufficient evidence. the customer service was just repeating and repeating their statement without any evidence. It was frustrating.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

It's a turkey shoot as to what will happen with authentication. 

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

I feel it. Yesterday I sold a necklace with the same kind of clasp and it went through another platform's in person authentication - it passed their exam without a problem.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

I personally had bad experience with eBay's authentication services.

Mine was just a vague message 'unable to authenticate'.

Charged me a bunch of fees, felt it was a waste of time so I stopped selling items that do authentication with eBay.

Too much headache for me to deal with, I just sell those items somewhere else.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Misery loves company!  I too had a similar experience.  Sent some David Yurman earrings and pendant to the GIA Center and they called my Buyer and told her that there was no paperwork (I forgot to include) and that the earring posts look like they were replaced since they were "tested" at 14K--(my son is a GIA gemologist and those small ear wires can't be tested!) unfortunately I missed the 14K mark on the ear wires.  Plus they said that the stones in the earrings looked lab created.  Really?  How can they tell?  Plus, why would Yurman put expensive lab created amethyst in the earrings if they can use the cheap real stuff..  I called eBay and the rep said that they were authentic Yurman, nothing at all wrong BUT I lost the sale.  Really **bleep**-off Seller here after 20 years of selling on eBay. ........plus my sales have tabked lately.  Don't know why.  Christine

Message 5 of 5
latest reply