cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ebay search is terrible, broken, disfunctional

I search ebay for "Hq1012088fa blower" and get 0 results.

Do the same search on google and it pops the item on ebay.

Ebay needs to forget about all of the fancy promoted crap and just make the basic search work

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Maybe you made a typo. HQ1012088FA blower comes back with 5 results found.

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

I found 5 results as well but the page was FILLED with non related non matches that I had to wade thru

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

Maybe you made a typo.

@fab_finds4u 

Good to know that the SEARCH feature is likely also to be  case sensitive.  Hope eBay informs buyers. 

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

@bashort wrote:

I search ebay for "Hq1012088fa blower" and get 0 results.

Do the same search on google and it pops the item on ebay.

Ebay needs to forget about all of the fancy promoted crap and just make the basic search work

Google Search and eBay Search will never be same, nor should they be. 

Google has no idea whether a seller has a good record or not. Google has no idea whether an item can be shipped to your location or not. Google has no idea what your search preferences are, or what the seller's buyer requirements are. There is no way Google is going to able to replicate an eBay search. 

For what it is worth, when I search Hq1012088fa blower I get 5 results. 

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

No, search is fine. You must've done something wrong.

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

@6al_4v wrote:

I found 5 results as well but the page was FILLED with non related non matches that I had to wade thru

If you found 5 results, they were at the top. 

The other listings you had to "wade through" were under a section called "Results matching fewer words" which by definition are not matches. 

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

@ittybitnot wrote:

Good to know that the SEARCH feature is likely also to be  case sensitive.  Hope eBay informs buyers. 

I have never found eBay searches to be case-sensitive.

I copied the search exactly the way the OP posted it and found 5 results too. 

I changed the capitalization several different ways in that search and found the same 5 results with no difference. 

Why would eBay inform buyers of something just because you perceive that it may be "likely"? 

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

Ebay search uses AI.  Your listings are sometimes excluded when you search for them.

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

I get the 5.........but without the quotes.........with the quotes, I get none...........

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

@luckythewinner   

1.  There is no way Google is going to able to replicate an eBay search. 

Thank goodness lucky or we would all be out of business because nobody could ever find anything lol!

2. Google has no idea whether a seller has a good record or not. 

Ebay does not care if the seller has a good record- it used to 10 years ago but now search is basically pay to play promoted listings- despite your seller record of service- ebay will highlight in search the worst sellers if they promote high enough

3. Google has no idea whether an item can be shipped to your location or not.

Lucky if you actually sold on ebay - you would know that international sales have plummeted since ebay took over global shipping..... because they dont ship to half the places that GSP did through pitney bowes. We can ship there obviously- but ebay cant figure out how....

4. Google has no idea what your search preferences are,

So ebay does? when they change my listing view from list to grid every other day? when it shows me another listing after i click on a sold listing for research? when they have systematically gotten rid of all the global preference presets such as sort order for  feedback or whether or not to allow counter offers when send an offer ( it wont stay where you put it- you must reselect every time)

MY PREFERENCE WOULD BE TO SHOW ME WHAT ITYPE IN THE SEARCH BOX LIKE GOOGLE DOES

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

You mean forget trying to manipulate buyers.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 12 of 17
latest reply

Yes... I still have some issues with qoutes as well.... eburtonlab pointed out the issues recently to my quoting all the search words and posted a better search with qoutes on just a single word ... in this case the part number SHOULD suffice and produce the correct results... i know should doesn't always mean it will happen....

As for this Search I cut and pasted the Search as shown by the OP... I got five results but checking the part numbers they were NOT the first five results. Some of the results were very similar non promoted items that shared many of the same numbers/keywords that I can see might trip up the Search,,, but all five "were not at the top" as some proclaim

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

@siamjane8 wrote:

MY PREFERENCE WOULD BE TO SHOW ME WHAT ITYPE IN THE SEARCH BOX LIKE GOOGLE DOES

That does not happen on Google either. 

Just search Volkswagon to see. 

And on Google, when I do that the first three listings are "Sponsored" 🤔

Google manipulates search, they just do it in a different way. 

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

I agree.

Many times google will find what’s on eBay when ebay showed zero returns. Then I go and copy /paste the exact title of the listing into the ebay search and ebay still  doesn’t find it.  Had two just this week. 

But on the flip side, nothing new here. It’s been going on for years. 

If ebay wants to stop the decline, fixing that one thing would be helpful. 

The Race is over
The Rats won.
Message 15 of 17
latest reply