cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ebay not following their own policy regarding seller protections

sorry this is a long one .....so i've received three negatives in the last two weeks after years of having 100% positive...lets start with this latest one i received yesterday because the buyer hasn't received his item..no contact..never let me know there was an issue..no case opened... just right to a negative...i then checked feedback left for others and he's left 7 negatives for others over this same issue.....ebay clearly states right here in announcements that they are aware of shipping delays, and that they would protect us which i didn't believe because they have dropped the ball lately on our so called protections....i reached out to usps and they stated that they closed 16 hubs in georgia and have been combining them into 1 huge hub...so its a complete disaster and nightmare right now..but they are working on tracking down the package and that they will get everything moving again shortly ...meanwhile ebay has this on the board dated 4/10. I chose to give them the benefit of the doubt and i called them and they stated they would remove it under this known issue ...of course i wake up to a denial with an answer that has nothing to do with the reason for request for removal...once again we have ebay stating that they are going to do something and they fail to do it......moving on ....the other photos Ive included is their own policy that states what the "top rated seller protections" have been since they implemented them in 2018...even with providing this, they allowed the negative to remain after i followed everything in the policy and qualified.... this one didn't come off when it should have automatically because it malfunctioned just like anything else on the site... in the past when the system did not work, id simply call and they verified that i qualified and removed it...now i keep being told that i have to offer free returns in order to qualify for "top rated seller protections" when that is false.....the fact is, that the first bout of seller protections that were implemented required free returns.  In 2018 (at the last real ebay open in las vegas) they implemented "top rated seller protections" which stated, that as long as we were top rated, accepted returns, and did everything required that we now would receive these benefits as well. Lately, for whatever reason, we are being told by new ebay reps, that this only applies when free returns are offered and they seem to have no knowledge of the top rated seller policy I just described...they are mixing up top rated seller protections with the protections for above standard and others.....i have copied and emailed them their own policy where it clearly states what is required for top rated seller benefits which i also included below. Nowhere under this policy does it state that i have to offer free returns....i also then sent them a copy of the protections for others and above standard abusive buyer policy which shows i would only have to offer free returns if im above standard not top rated... they are mixing up the two. Once I show them this, I am thanked and told that they are going to give it a second look ...and then they stop responding and disappear. The system has gotten beyond stupid... in this same negative that should have been removed, the buyer went on to call me names and ebay also saw that they were clearly lying because none of the things stated in the feedback rant are true at all... however they still did nothing ...i got some ridiculous response something like 'we understand he called you names and that he told untruths but hes not violating policy"....not those exact words .....I want to know why you state you are going to do all of these things to protect your sellers from abusive buyers when you know very well thats not true at all.  You have policies that you don't follow, however if any of us try that same thing we are suspended or kicked off the platform.  My simple solution...just do what you say you are going to do...not sure what is so hard about that.  

Screenshot 2024-04-26 at 7.40.28 AM.pngScreenshot 2024-04-27 at 8.35.58 AM.pngScreenshot 2024-04-27 at 8.36.20 AM.pngScreenshot 2024-04-27 at 8.36.51 AM.png

Message 1 of 48
latest reply
47 REPLIES 47

So for your first screen shot, it doesn't say they will remove feedback. They will do things 'as needed'. No guarentee. The negative feedback by the buyer is their experience and isn't a violation of policy.

The false INAD requires reporting and for eBay to determine it was actually a false INAD. If they don't then the feedback sticks. The CS reps you speak to could lie and tell you what you want to hear, but the internal team doesn't feel there is enough evidence to support a false INAD.

The only one that you showed where it would happen is with the Abusive buyer/TRS altered condition policy. This needs to be applied before a return gets escalated to a case, you must follow the steps appropriately or the protection wont be applied.

The easiest way to get feedback protections is by offering free returns.

Message 2 of 48
latest reply

ive been in this program since it was implemented in 2018 and it was always the case...an yes it does say in the policy that feedback will be removed and it was always removed as long as i provided the return and refunded regardless of the reason....and especially in the false inad case where it clearly states it here...they have changed some of the language to these policies recently but its still there....doesn't say anything about there's no guarantees...and what happened was not that they didn't determine it wasnt a false inad in my case so not sure where you are getting that .............please dont tell me what my experience has been with the policy and the program because what you stated in not the case...for 6 years this is what they have always done until a few months ago when they dropped the ball for everyone.  Again i do not have to offer free returns under the top rated seller program to get a feedback removed for false inads.... i would only have to do that if i was above standard or under protections for others...and before suggesting that ebay is going follow the policy when free returns are given you should think again ..there are tons of sellers who offer this and they are still not getting ebay to remove negatives under any circumstance lately.....and side note while the buyers experience is important it is not a real experience if the buyer lied to force a free return, damaged an item then open a return..its a lie not an experience.....asking ebay to follow their own policy is not to much to ask ...just like this policy that they will protect us because of shipping delays in an announcement on the board and then not doing it ...when i called i asked the rep in trust and safety what that meant about updating seller protections and she stated if we get a negative because of this or damaging metrics they would be removed...why would i get a negative over something that was out of my hands and known issues and be expected to be punished for it and it stand just because it was the buyers experience ..i mailed it when i should have and didnt even know the buyer didn't receive it until i got a negative

Message 3 of 48
latest reply

@robbie31415 

You can see in the policy pages the OP posted that the TRS protections does not require free returns.  Just 30 days or longer.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 4 of 48
latest reply

I apologize, but I'm an old broad and my eyes are what they use to be.  I have great difficulty reading a wall of text, so I did not read your post beyond the first couple of lines.

Did Ebay determine these were false INADs?  Did they close the INADs in your favor?

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 5 of 48
latest reply

I read  the  Negative feedbacks  on shipping delays  ,The weather issue claims aren't the problem  for most part  . It is the postmaster Gen Dejoys  and  his push to use small sorting centers  that is the reason  for the delays  not act of god  weather .   Ebay has said  the buyers can give any feedback they want because it is their opinion . As long as they don't violate the feedback policy .   You make to  ship  Priority mail  or  UPS and FedEx   full time  .Since USPS  is going keep having  delivery delays.

Message 6 of 48
latest reply

Dynasty   Ebay  isn't   great  at fighting  false  Snads   do not wanting  to   deal  with the   50 day  dispute  process.  

Message 7 of 48
latest reply

Thank you for pointing that out. It's essential to refer to eBay's policy pages for accurate information Regarding seller protections, as they may vary depending on the specific circumstances. In this case, TRS protections may indeed be available with a 30-day or longer return policy, without the requirement for free returns. Understanding these nuances can help sellers make informed decisions about their policies and practices on the platform.

nomijack
Message 8 of 48
latest reply

“…My simple solution...just do what you say you are going to do...not sure what is so hard about that.”

But it is hard now.

The quality of eBay’s customer service has deteriorated since Covid. They shut down their call centers during the pandemic. But once it was safe to go back to work, eBay never reestablished customer service to its pre-morbid functionality.

As a result, users can no longer rely on getting accurate advice and information from untrained, script-reading reps. Worse, they sometimes give ill-advised directions to unsuspecting sellers that can be damaging to their performance metrics/account standing.

The way things are now, eBay is making it more difficult for some sellers to get negatives removed, TRS or not. We hear the same concerns in the forums nearly daily now. These changes are apparently the direction the platform plans to head in, as you have experienced.

Currently, one of the few places to find highly-qualified customer service reps is thru eBay for Business Facebook page. Another is a online form one can submit for feedback removal, bypassing the need for any back-and-forth. Hopefully another poster will come along with that link. Out of curiosity, how have you been contacting eBay?

So sorry for your ordeal. 

Message 9 of 48
latest reply

I could not read the whole wall of text either.

Break it up with paragraphs or just do bullet points.

You do understand that you are not speaking to eBay?

I always do as I say but I am not eBay and eBay is not here. This is a forum for buyers and sellers like yourself. We cannot change eBay policies or make CS be helpful.

I personally think FB should be done away with but eBay likes it and is even now allowing pictures. eBay doesnt listen to sellers.

Best of luck to you.

klhmdg  •  Volunteer Community Mentor
Message 10 of 48
latest reply

@dynastysfashionboutique wrote:
”…why would i get a negative over something that was out of my hands and known issues and be expected to be punished for it and it stand just because it was the buyers experience ..i mailed it when i should have and didnt even know the buyer didn't receive it until i got a negative.”

The reason a seller sometimes gets hung out to dry is because eBay considers the carrier to be an agent of the seller, acting on the seller’s behalf. More importantly, eBay considers that a seller’s responsibility doesn’t conclude when the item is shipped, but only when it is delivered.

Until the moment the package arrives at its intended destination, the seller remains accountable to his/her buyer, including for matters occurring during transit. 

Message 11 of 48
latest reply

@fashunu4eeuh wrote:

@dynastysfashionboutique wrote:
”…why would i get a negative over something that was out of my hands and known issues and be expected to be punished for it and it stand just because it was the buyers experience ..i mailed it when i should have and didnt even know the buyer didn't receive it until i got a negative.”

The reason a seller sometimes gets hung out to dry is because eBay considers the carrier to be an agent of the seller, acting on the seller’s behalf. More importantly, eBay considers that a seller’s responsibility doesn’t conclude when the item is shipped, but only when it is delivered.

Until the moment the package arrives at its intended destination, the seller remains accountable to his/her buyer, including for matters occurring during transit. 

Agree with the above.......but would add.......

ALL Mail order (not just ebay) is predicated on the buyer receiving the item.........without that guarantee.....why would any buyer use mail order?

You, as a seller, are given a very easy way to check that items are delivered in Ebay Seller Hub on the ordered/shipped page......  part of "preventative maintenance" for a seller is checking that site to be sure items are delivered and putting in mail questions to carriers when no delivery shows. 

After that, there is always a debate among sellers as to what should be done.......contacting the buyer or not......and am not going to get into those weeds.......but the fact is, as a seller, you SHOULD be proactive enough to check the status of your packages so that you aren't surprised if one is not delivered. 

Message 12 of 48
latest reply

One other thought............Ebay warned us about the possible USPS delays........if we (I'm not), are experiencing delays, perhaps a good idea to put warnings in descriptions or after sale emails to buyers.........being proactive may stop at least some questions/negs..........

Message 13 of 48
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@robbie31415 

You can see in the policy pages the OP posted that the TRS protections does not require free returns.  Just 30 days or longer.

Once Again you don't read what I said.

Message 14 of 48
latest reply

i can not go and check and make sure every package was delivered...sorry..there is not enough time in the day...i am stretched thin enough and can barely get my listings done .......most buyers including myself will usually reach out and say "hey wheres my stuff" if they didnt get it...in a nicer way usually depending on the day....i have no issue tracking down what happened to a package or giving a proper refund when needed...after all the item was 5.99..its not like a huge loss to just refund.... but why on earth would i get a negative over something when something simply could have been asked first..then if i ignored you or was a jerk then you give me the negative...my main issue here though is ebay saying they are going to do this or that and then not doing it...the agent in trust and safety told me that this negative would be removed because the memo meant that anything negative that happened as a result of these known shipping delays would be removed and as per usual lately ...nope....i wouldn't have such an issue with negatives if the algorithm did not slow traffic to your listings when you get these ....if im going to get a negative i want to get it because its something i deserved and my sales should suffer as a result...but stuff like this..blatant lies that are verified to be lies or stuff like closing 16 hubs and combining them and leaving packages to sit for days and weeks i shouldn't be getting punished for that...its not like my car broke down on the way to deliver the package and i simply threw my hands up in the air and threw the package in the dumpster and went home...anyway today is another day...lets hope its sunnier than yesterday 

Message 15 of 48
latest reply