cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ebay and Google censoring buyers due to online political history .

Looking at my sales reports it is apparent that my sales are down 50 percent to those sales this time last year. I believe that it is due to the mass censoring  Google has doubled down on in the last month or so. They are attempting to place those sellers who they believe may be sympathetic to conservative ideas into online ghettos so that no one will find their products. Ebay may or may not be aware of this practice, but how would we know due to the fact that they have not addressed it in any way or form. They have not assured us that we would not be affected by this unfair practice that is being deployed throughout the online services by Google. In the past I had no problem finding my products using Google search, but now I cannot find one with google search. I believe that those sellers who visit conservative sites online are targeted by Google and google is actively attempting to shut those who use online services out of the free market process.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

I would say that anytime I google search anything I see links to eBay.

just searched tin foil hats, and 2 of 5  images were eBay ads.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Hi everyone,

This a friendly reminder to please keep replies on the topic of how potential censorship of Google search results may be negatively impacting eBay sellers. For political commentary that does not directly pertain to buying and selling on eBay, please post on The Soapbox, which is the Community board specifically dedicated to otherwise off-topic political discussion.

To help keep the discussion on topic, please contact me via PM if you have any questions or comments related to this post.

Thanks!

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Seriously?  This place is in the business to make money - they're not going to care about political affiliation. As for Google - they've made changes to their core algorithm that may well be impacting ebay, however it's denied by eBay's c-suite - these changes were in May/June.  Don't worry - you're not getting special treatment, no one is following you around, you're just in the same boat as the rest of us. Plus, it's a slow time of year for many products.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

That's an interesting theory.

I'm not familiar with the liberal/conservative leanings of eBay or Google, but many big corporations have a more conservative bent. Corporate America generally prefers fewer government regulations, and a laissez-faire approach is usually favored by conservatives.

There are still more individual Americas who identify themselves as "conservatives" than there are those identifying themselves as "liberals," 35% to 26%.

I'm sure Google and eBay are aware that not everyone who visits a conservative--or liberal--website is actually conservative or liberal.

Based on the conjecture that corporations tend to be conservative-leaning, and the idea that there are more people who identify as "conservative" than "liberal," and the awareness that not everyone who visits a particular site or sites subscribes to the content of that site, I'd be surprised if either Google or eBay were trying to shut out that segment of buyers or sellers or users in general. 

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

What makes you think that Google is censoring a political segment? A sub-committee may be looking into some allegations, but that doesn't mean it has actually happened. Where are you drawing your information from? 

"...Ebay may or may not be aware of this practice, but how would we know due to the fact that they have not addressed it in any way or form..."

Perhaps eBay hasn't addressed it because it is not happening.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply