cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ebay - This harassment must stop

There is a serious flaw in ebay’s messaging system and it must be addressed.  This psycho buyer in the USA has sent me no less than 150 messages and they keep pouring in. I sold him a phone.

Prior to the sale he asked me a few technical questions. Then a few more. Then he bought it. I promptly answered all of his questions. As soon as he paid, he began messaging me more and more. Often repeating the same questions. Is it locked, do you know the original owner, tracking hasn’t updated, is the shipping box big or small.

At the 40th message I told him I had things to do and could no longer respond to his emails. At that point, I had sent him about 8 total replies. I looked at his feedback left and the majority of it was something like ‘great seller, answered all of my questions.’ I figured maybe he has some kind of mental disability.

When I told him enough was enough, that’s when things got crazy. He started messaging me literally every 10 minutes for hours. The one right before I called ebay was asking me about my family.  The one that crossed the line. I spoke to a US rep at length. Within an hour his account was suspended. ‘No longer a Registered User.’  That account had 20+ feedbacks and was about 1.5 years old.

So what does he do, opens a new account and starts all over again. I called ebay again. Rinse and repeat for two more new accounts. His last so far and 4th account, he listed Thailand as his location.

I called ebay repeatedly. And each time they told me they would take action but sorry, we have no BLOCKING mechanism in place. Even if you put one of these scumbags in your blocked bidder list. SORRY, THEY CAN STILL MESSAGE YOU ALL DAY LONG WITH NEW ACCOUNTS ALL DAY LONG, potentially for years.

THIS IS WRONG. I explained to ebay that if this doesn’t stop I will file a harassment suit against ebay and the buyer. Ebay is just as responsible. They are the ones forwarding the buyer’s messages and it is harassment.  

The rep said she was actually going to use my case in the next staff meeting with security and bring this up. That’s great but ebay has been in business for 20 years. What the heck are they waiting for???

To not allow a message filter and allow this abuse is despicable and needs to be addressed and it needs to be addressed now. On a side note, my conversations with the reps were very positive and they took action quickly within their limited options.

I for one, haven’t done anything yet but I have the buyer’s info, if he doesn’t stop and ebay won’t stop it, I will take it to the next level. And I'm not the only one. I've seen hundreds of posts here for the same thing.

@trinton trinton@ebay or whoever you are. This is a serious problem and needs to be changed.

Change.....As the wind blows
Message 1 of 39
latest reply
38 REPLIES 38

Re: ebay - This harassment must stop

@missjen316 wrote:

@*eponymous* wrote:

eBay already provides the way to block if you haven't replied to a message. Have you replied and then tried to block?

Actually the block doesn't block messages sent from the seller's feedback page. If the OP blocks a member and uses the communication setting as well, it doesn't block communication from the "contact seller" link on his feedback profile. 

You're right and I've said the same thing many times. Dunno what I was thinking!

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage. ~ Anais Nin
Message 31 of 39
latest reply

@*eponymous* wrote:

You know you can put a user on the bbl and block messages if you haven't messaged with the user, right?

That isn't neccessarily true.  Every few months I get messages from blocked buyers asking why they cannot bid.  They are sent as asking about a particular item and not "message member".   And yes, I have it set to block communication from blocked buyers.

Maybe eBay thinks I don't really mean it?

Joe

Message 32 of 39
latest reply

Can you call their local police & have them go talk to this person?
Cyber harassment is a crime.
Patricia
eBay member for 25 years
Message 33 of 39
latest reply

Also, see if you can file an ic3 report.
Patricia
eBay member for 25 years
Message 34 of 39
latest reply

Message 35 of 39
latest reply

I know a GUARANTEED way to put a stop to this. 

Just don't reply to him. 

If you  don't reply to him will eventually stop. I GUARANTEE it. 

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 36 of 39
latest reply

@banana-posts wrote:

If nothing else, at least let an ebay rep or supervisor put a block down.  There are a lot of crazy people out there and they are using ebay's messaging system as a weapon.

A weapon?  I guarantee you he can't hurt you via ebay's messaging system.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 37 of 39
latest reply

So I have had people do this but not near the extent of you. I have been telling ebay for YEARS it is CRAZY they do not have a way to block an ebay member from messages. What other messaging system doesn't have that basic ability.  Step it up ebay this is not ok!!!!

@Anonymous 

Message 38 of 39
latest reply

Hello Everyone,

Due to the age of the thread, it has been closed to further replies.  Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thanks for understanding!

Message 39 of 39
latest reply