cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ebay. Pulse Check. No sales, no traffic.

Ten years on ebay. This is th first time our store and listing fees are higher than final value fees on sales. Not good.  We still have plenty of beautiful things that were selling like hot cakes just a few years ago. The inventory is amazing but no traffic is so down.  It's like a ghost town. The sales are 95% down comparing to 2012.

What is going on? 

Message 1 of 61
latest reply
60 REPLIES 60

Re: ebay. Pulse Check. No sales, no traffic.

@victorjunkman55 wrote:

Thanks to eBay and their policies, changes, and roll outs, This will be the worst Holiday Season ever, and many members won't be here come the new year.   Smiley Sad  Good Luck to you.

Buyers could care less about any of that. If they want your item they will buy it. Has nothing to do with Ebay and Ebay is not the one who will ruin your Christmas. There are lots of part time help at that time, maybe apply if your sale are going to be that bad ?

Message 16 of 61
latest reply

No job needed, my sales on other venues are booming and sometimes use these sales to pay my fees here. If I had to depend on eBay to feed me I'd starve to death. Unlike others, eBay is not my bread & butter.

Message 17 of 61
latest reply

My sales started to pick up just 3 days ago and I looked to see what could have changed.  Of course I changed all my listings to shipping included over the past week.  But then I found out that eBay rolled out a new feature that may help some of us.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/ebay-mobile-app-image-search/

May be a coincidence.  I am committed to improving my photos to work with this app.  I am still at only half the sales I had in the Spring but there was life in my store this week.  Good luck to everyone.

Message 18 of 61
latest reply

We can't list GTC and forget about listings, we need to end them more often and sell similar or start over. I have found that if I don't refresh listings they are suddenly not showing up on search.  The glitches also makes everything harder. I also agree with the comment that a buyer asking a simple question resulting in an unwarranted warning is jaw dropping. I feel as though I have to ask buyers to not message or simply not respond. I feel like I am on a sinking ship at times. I need to work harder to get rid of inventory and I am not replacing inventory. Business models need to be looked at and revamped. What worked a few years ago does not work now. I talked to friends in the antique business and they no longer buy because the buyers no longer buy.

Message 19 of 61
latest reply

@victorjunkman55 wrote:

my sales on other venues are booming.

They all say that.

Message 20 of 61
latest reply

Thanks for sharing! I so love those who keep up with life in the real world. Within the confines of eBayhood, we're certainly not the first to know of such developments. I'm not sure how to use this new information, but it seems that a clear photograph of a single item (vs a dinnerware placesetting, for example) will present better results?

And, I'm at a total loss regarding shipping. A few weeks ago, I began switching from shipping included (love that phrasing!) to calculated shipping. This was spawned by having developed a PNW cluster of buying, for which some of my listings were not properly priced. I incurred no major losses, but it caused me to reconsider shipping overall. Yet, I think "free" and flat-rate shipping items still sell better for me. After the first of the month, I need to dig into this more diligently.
Message 21 of 61
latest reply

My sales are down everywhere. I've been having yard sales to make money and have been doing well, just the opposite of what I'd expect. 

Message 22 of 61
latest reply

@nawlinsron2 wrote:

"Sellers"...you know...the ones who DRIVE the stock price.

That’s hilarious. It’s amazing how some sellers grossly overestimate their importance to eBay’s success.

Message 23 of 61
latest reply

Nice try...sellers as a WHOLE. Not individual sellers.
Reading comprehension is a gift.
Message 24 of 61
latest reply

@nawlinsron2 wrote:
"Sellers"...you know...the ones who DRIVE the stock price.

Is is actually buyers who drive the stock price, not sellers.

Message 25 of 61
latest reply

Beg to differ, buyers don't pay fees, Sellers do. If sellers don't list, there would be no money for eBay. Buyers may rule here, but its the sellers who pay eBay money, which drives the stock price. Good Luck to you.

Message 26 of 61
latest reply

@victorjunkman55 wrote:

Beg to differ, buyers don't pay fees, Sellers do. If sellers don't list, there would be no money for eBay. Buyers may rule here, but its the sellers who pay eBay money, which drives the stock price. Good Luck to you.

@victorjunkman55

Don't want to argue with you because many sellers have it wrong and think that way. Most listing Ebay gives for free so no cash from sellers that way. The fees sellers pay for stores compared to the amount of items they can list is less than 1%. BUYERS pay 10%. So it is basically a 10:1 ratio and buyers keeping Ebay afloat. Sellers are a dime a dozen and Ebay has no problem finding them. 

Message 27 of 61
latest reply

My point is this, If there were no sellers on eBay, what would buyers buy? buyers give eBay nothing, Sellers give eBay money, which in turn drives the stock price. eBay's attitude that sellers are a dime a dozen is why eBay is sinking and grasping at straws in China while their competitor is thriving and expanding here in America. one seller means nothing, nor do 100, but if all sellers stopped listing, eBay and their stockholders would be bankrupt. Good Luck.

Message 28 of 61
latest reply

we too have no traffic and its a big proplem

Message 29 of 61
latest reply

No matter how you feel about Ebay, people like Carl Icahn are some of the reason for the problems in many businesses. He and his fellow criminal WALL STREET FRIENDS are raiders, business destroyers, and inside traders. They lie so they can ruin businesses and bring them down for profit or buy them cheap and deplete them and people like everyone posting here, and that means the little guys that get brought down too. They have the advantage of friends in the media to lie for them and promote their activities.

Never trust a media that works for people like this. They are spinning tales to trick people into supporting their crimes.

Message 30 of 61
latest reply