cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay vault

I'm thinking of selling a valuable baseball card and was wondering if I might get a higher price by waiting to move it to the eBay vault first. What are your thoughts 💭

Message 1 of 33
latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

Re: eBay vault

Thanks for the link. Think I'll have to reread it a few more times to let it all sink in. 

Message 16 of 33
latest reply

Thanks for sharing. Your #3 seems to be a theme.

Message 17 of 33
latest reply

still the seller is responsible for the item being not as described: so it can be a nightmare as usual:

how about items show up missing (a security nightmare this is going to be).  Or the item is not in the package claims etc... Need to see and read policy for this thing before I would advise any use of such.

Hmm I can see part of the ideas behind the vault (ware house): yet do not really see any gain for the seller in this other than a storage facility with risk.

Time will tell.

Message 18 of 33
latest reply

@eunster1313 wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

Absolutely there will be fees to use the Vault.  Ebay isn't and shouldn't just give away all the money they have invested in getting this program on its feet and build that building too.  

I believe eBay is using the term (eBay Vault) as a euphemism.

I see nowhere were eBay is claiming that they are building a

physical Vault to safely store anything.

If I had to guess, more than likely it will be similar to the

authentication process they have now. But with the option

for the seller to send it to them ahead of time to store

before a sale.

@eunster1313  - it may not actually be a "vault" like we would picture a bank vault or something, but the vault is a physical building and part of the service offered in theory will be secure long term storage.

PWCC and a few other places already offer services like this and one of the benefits eBay is touting is the fact that since it is securely stored "in the vault" it can be bought and sold and transfer ownership many times over without ever physically moving an inch - no shipping costs, no possibility of being lost or damaged in transit etc. you just push a button and your winning buyer is now the proud new owner of xyz alternative asset collectible.

They're also talking about the possibility for fractionalization, where let's say 5 people all want to go in together and pay 20% of whatever the item is - again in theory, they'll be able to do that and each of those people will have an ownership stake that they can then sell later as well.

Now, I'll be honest - I'm the kind of person that if I drop $10,000 on a collectible I'd probably want to be able to take it out and look at it sometimes, but that's just me and I am absolutely not the target demographic for this in any way, shape or form. 😉

We'll have to wait for more information to come out, but safe to say this is nothing like most of us are used to when thinking about the concept of buying and selling things on eBay.

Message 19 of 33
latest reply

"alternative asset collectible",as @valueaddedresource  stated, is the key to understanding The Vault. This isn't a warehouse for storing collectibles. It's about collectibles or other items (probably including NFTs eventually) that are viewed as "assets" in much the same  we think about stocks and bonds. Back in the day when most stocks and bonds were actual paper documents, people kept them in a lockbox at the bank in the bank vault. Same general idea. And, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if ebay itself (or a third party partner) was willing to provide loans based on the asset, etc. 

So, this isn't about collectibles people buy to "collect" so much as collectibles people buy because they believe they will appreciate in value...they are investments (and some might be considered pure speculation)....and they are popular with people who believe more traditional investments will simply not appreciate as well....

The buyers may be wrong or right about the value of the item going up or down (just as with the stock market), but ebay , as basically the broker, makes money either way...

Message 20 of 33
latest reply

I'm staying away from NFT's for now. Lost too much when eTopps went under. 

Message 21 of 33
latest reply

@uncletony*scards  Yeah, not my thing, but as long as there are people willing to spend money on 'em, I expect ebay will be happy to help them do so....

Message 22 of 33
latest reply

It's way too early to provide a good opinion one way or another about the "Vault". The details about the "Vault" are still unknown. Plus, we would need to know more details about your card....is it already graded, is it raw stock, is it vintage or modern? 

I would say if you want to sell the baseball card, then why not list the card now. There is an existing process right now in ebay & customers are very comfortable shopping for their cards on ebay right now. Once the "Vault" comes into play, both buyers & sellers will have a learning curve & you might not get the value that you want on the card. It's your call!!!

Good luck!

Message 23 of 33
latest reply

Thanks for your input. I've decided to hold off until more is known about the vault. I've had the card for 50 years and many other sellers are selling theirs (50+).

I'll wait.

Message 24 of 33
latest reply

What I really want to know is if they will only be storing graded cards.  Seems like that would be the easiest thing for them to do, but I haven’t seen anything conclusive. I wish they would go the comc route.  That would take a huge amount of man power, but I think they would make a killing with fees.

Message 25 of 33
latest reply

Ebay is a for profit company.  It stands to reason that the fees would be higher as they are then responsible for properly storing the inventory for you AND shipping it out when the time comes.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 26 of 33
latest reply

@eunster1313 

< nowhere were eBay is claiming that they are building a physical Vault to safely store anything. >    

Then what does this quote from the announcement mean:   "the eBay Vault, coming next quarter. This is a 31 thousand square foot, secure storage facility"  

Message 27 of 33
latest reply

@gosimus wrote:

@eunster1313 

< nowhere were eBay is claiming that they are building a physical Vault to safely store anything. >    

Then what does this quote from the announcement mean:   "the eBay Vault, coming next quarter. This is a 31 thousand square foot, secure storage facility"  

The word "secure" doesn't suggest that to you?

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 28 of 33
latest reply

@mam98031  @eunster1313 

I was thinking more of the 31,000 square feet being indicative of a physical facility, but I guess describing it as "secure" bolsters the impression.  

Message 29 of 33
latest reply

@gosimus wrote:

@mam98031  @eunster1313 

I was thinking more of the 31,000 square feet being indicative of a physical facility, but I guess describing it as "secure" bolsters the impression.  

@gosimus @mam98031 @eunster1313 

excerpt from eBay's FAQ page about the Vault - it's definitely a physical facility.

https://pages.ebay.com/vault/ 

• The eBay vault is climate-controlled, insured, and protected with 24-hour security.
  • Items inside the eBay vault are carefully handled by dedicated professionals.

Message 30 of 33
latest reply