cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay suspension

I was suspended for listing a necklace I described as made of “bovine bone “. I had used the description because I thought it was okay after seeing copious other sellers using that same description in their listings. I lodged a complaint about the unfairness of being singled out while so many others continue to sell bovine bone. Anyone else experience this?

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Re: eBay suspension

Just because others got away with it does not mean everyone will.    In most cases you receive a warning first. Now if you relisted after the warning I can see you getting suspended.  Take care and never list it again. You will be banned from selling if they keep removing it.

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

If you received warnings and keep trying to list the same, that can garner a suspension.  Also if you have had warnings on other irrens.

The other sellers don't matter. The bots hand out these warnings and suspensions. It is nothing personal by the bots.

Posting ID
Message 3 of 19
latest reply

Oh dear, they took down 7 listings? Listing anything made from animal bone is very risky. Below is the policy link that covers items made from animal parts. 

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/prohibited-restricted-items/animal-products-policy?id=5046

It is never a good idea to base a listing decision  on what other sellers are doing. Best to go straight to the eBay Help pages and find out for oneself what is and is not allowed. That is the safest route. 

As for other listings not being removed, while you are punished, that is just the luck of the draw. The site is so large, with so many sellers, it can be a huge undertaking to police it. But now you are on eBay’s radar, and you must be twice as careful not to get other violations, especially for the same infraction. EBay penalties are cumulative. 

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

@impulsebuyerfire wrote:

I was suspended for listing a necklace I described as made of “bovine bone “. I had used the description because I thought it was okay after seeing copious other sellers using that same description in their listings. I lodged a complaint about the unfairness of being singled out while so many others continue to sell bovine bone. Anyone else experience this?

You were suspended or was it just a listing with a violation that was removed? Since you have 33 current active listings, you don't appear to have been suspended. 

In the future, verify that what you're listing is allowed. Just because others have similar listings doesn't make it okay. It's sort of like speeding - not everyone who speeds gets caught. It doesn't mean they aren't in violation of the speed limit. And their time will come at some point.

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

I have to admit it is quite ironic that you can sell leather products, down products but not cow bone

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

@impulsebuyerfire wrote:

When I just but Bovine into the search I get 160 items for sale.  It may have been a bot that removed your listing and not a real person at Ebay.  Have you contacted Ebay about this?  If you haven't, you should.

Now unless this is something you did repeatedly, it is extremely unusual for Ebay to SUSPEND you.  If this was your first notice, they would remove the listing and give you a warning.

If you wouldn't mine, copy and paste the body of the email you got from Ebay here so we can see what they are telling you.  Black out any personal info before posting.  But sometimes we can catch something you may miss.  Since you still have things listed, it is unlikely you were Suspended.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 7 of 19
latest reply

@impulsebuyerfire 

I would suggest that you contact Ebay for Business on Facebook or Twitter for the better trained CSRs.

Here are your options for contacting Ebay Customer Service.  Please be aware that for social media CS, you send them a Private Message and briefly explain what your problem or issue is.  Feel free to leave your Name, address, phone number and/or your email address in this message.  It is private and secure and it may help to speed up the response for you.

https://twitter.com/askebay

https://www.facebook.com/eBay/

Your options will be on the left.  If you use the link below you can only get to the Automated Assistant or Chat box type AGENT in the box and hit enter. You will then get more options.  Not all options are available 24/7.  It will depend on staffing available.  So sometimes you can request a call back and sometimes you can't.  Sometimes you have the Chat option available and other times it won't me.  If it is important to you to use one of those options, just try back later.

If you use a cell phone or other mobile device, you may need to turn off your Spam filter so that Ebay can call you.

If you are a seller outside of the US or Canada, you will need to use the Chat Option.

https://www.ebay.com/help/home

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

This exact thing just happened to me.  Had a couple necklaces made from bovine bone.  They were canceled and I was told by the email that if I include the TYPE of bovine bone its ok to relist.  So I added cow to the listing title and relisted.  It was immediately canceled again.  Ok fine then again today another one I had was canceled.  I have to go through my listings and make sure I don't have any others I guess.  But why do they tell you to relist if you really shouldn't relist?

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

I just clicked on the link and trad it over. There really should be no issue with any product made from cow bones. Cow are neither an ivory producing mammal nor are they endangered. But arguing with bots and such brings this to a whole new level

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

You can contact eBay for business on Facebook but what really will you accomplish. Most likely you will just end up in a vicious circle with no resolution other than to be completely suspended. Maybe they fix one listing and the next listing starts the whole thing up again

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

@ebeths_eclectic_collectibles wrote:

I just clicked on the link and trad it over. There really should be no issue with any product made from cow bones. Cow are neither an ivory producing mammal nor are they endangered. But arguing with bots and such brings this to a whole new level

Particularly since the techbros who write this stuff are so illiterate that they don't even know that 'bovine' and 'cow' mean the same thing.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 12 of 19
latest reply

@ebeths_eclectic_collectibles wrote:

You can contact eBay for business on Facebook but what really will you accomplish. Most likely you will just end up in a vicious circle with no resolution other than to be completely suspended. Maybe they fix one listing and the next listing starts the whole thing up again

OK if that is how you feel, don't do anything.  It is your choice.  I gave you info on how you can contact Ebay.  It is up to you if you want to use any of it or not.  

But lets be clear here, you will NOT get "completely suspended" for contacting Ebay Customer Service with a problem.  You are being paranoid for some odd reason.  Not sure where that came from.

But if you are satisfied with the way things are for you right now, then of course just move forward.  You have to do what is right for you.

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

I was pulled over and cited for speeding.  I thought it was okay because I saw so many other drivers doing it.  I lodged a complaint about the unfairness of being singled out while so many others continue to speed.

You're not being singled out.  You got caught and the others didn't ... yet.   Some of them will eventually.  Some of them wont.  As others have advised, I would not re-list the item just because you see other sellers doing it.  It could lead to a permanent suspension and I would hate to see that happen to you.

Contact ebay if you have concerns about the legitimacy of your suspension.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 14 of 19
latest reply

@ksedar ,

Maybe they were looking for Holstein, Angus, Hereford, Hungarian Grey, and etc.

Message 15 of 19
latest reply