cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay sales dead now for 2 months 80% down

Been here for 20 years have multiple seller accounts. Main selling account has been averaging $800-1500 a day for past 8 years. Past 2 months sales have been $200 a day at best, have promoted listings, adding more listings daily called worthless eBay support multiple times, all my seller accounts are down 50-80%. What is going on with this place?

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

so sad to hear of yet another seller confused and discouraged. Xmas items showing up on the shelves in many stores where I live so I would think we would all be seeing a bit of an increase in spending.
With multiple accounts, it is likely your main source of income. I truly feel bad for you.
There are multiple threads about glitches with photos, shipping labels, messaging and who knows what else. Hope it is corrected soon and sales pick up.
Message 2 of 16
latest reply

Do you think the shift is toward other platforms? Mainly the competition being Amazon FBA?
Message 3 of 16
latest reply

I don't think so. I think it's more likely a perfect storm of events. One is the economic downturn that many people are claiming isn't real, though from my perspective it certainly is. The second is in my opinion the biggest contributor and that's problems with ebay itself. Either with the IT department mucking up the gears or with their policy changes that are just making a mess. Take for example the glitches experienced today. Those wouldn't be a problem if the IT people would stop "reinventing the wheel". It's getting old. Ebay needs to make some positive changes by NOT MAKING CHANGES!
Message 4 of 16
latest reply

Folks only have so much disposable income and it is being spent on phone service, internet service, streaming, podcasts, youtube need I go on.   The focus is on experience not materialistic items.  No one collects, no one is getting married, no one is having children etc.   Even the swap meet is seeing a slowdown.   We are living in a house of cards.  Personally I make money by not spending it.  

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

I call them AdBay now. Selling ads is how they make their money to appease stock holders. Store subs next then fvfs. They had a perfectish system 15 years ago. When they went public they forgot who they were
Message 6 of 16
latest reply

Some may argue that EBay appears  as a paradise for scammers, & the dishonest.

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

@ed8108 wrote:

Some may argue that EBay appears  as a paradise for scammers, & the dishonest.

I think its only become that because all of the decent sellers have packed up and left. 

It speaks more to eBay's inaction towards decent sellers than it does to their inaction to scammers. 

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

I think that's an anomoly that will soon work its way out. Things are cyclical. A generation coming up will start to see the benefit of collecting stuff and spending less time glued to a screen. Right now this generation is a zombie generation. They think its great to buy digital music and movies. Wait until they start loosing their digital libraries and get no refunds. They'll soon discover the benefit of having books, records and dvds, etc. Look at the resurgence of vinyl LPs! It's my generation GenX and early Millennials who are buying records again. We don't want digital libraries because we want to actually see and hear our music playing. Nothing like the sound of vinyl.
Message 9 of 16
latest reply

This might not be applicable but I would create new shipping rules, unannounced changes can outdate listings. ..thats something that can destroy your sales and go un noticed. ..just something to consider.

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

Back in July I went 10 days without a sale. Out of sheer frustration, I called CS. Since I had to put my store on vaca for a couple days due to storm power outage, thought maybe something happened when I brought it back up. CS told me if an item has been listed 60 or more days, go ahead and end it and relist using sell similar. Even CS knows this GTC is burying listings 6 feet under.

Hope things pick up for all soon. 

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

A conversation on another thread has to do with Ebay sending notifications and emails for sales. 

I'm not getting any notifications by email or the bell.  (And my communication preferences are set for "realtime" notification). 

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Store-Sales-Promo-Watchers-Notified/m-p/30224848/highlight/fal...

Hugely disappointed that something so basic, and likely useful, isn't being implemented by ebay.

What's the point of having a store other than avoiding listing fees.  The FVF savings are abysmal and it seems basic notifications don't function as they should.

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

@stockjedi wrote:

Been here for 20 years have multiple seller accounts. Main selling account has been averaging $800-1500 a day for past 8 years. Past 2 months sales have been $200 a day at best, have promoted listings, adding more listings daily called worthless eBay support multiple times, all my seller accounts are down 50-80%. What is going on with this place?

Have you checked to see if other sellers haven't moved into your area and are cutting prices?

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

We have been selling on ebay since 2006.  The past three months have been the absolute pits with each month showing a 20% decline in sales from the previous month.  Used to be that we needed our trustee big bag to carry all of our ebay packages to the post office.  Now we are lucky if we have to bring one package to the post office each day.

Now we did manage to sell to 4 different customers yesterday.  Sales totaled that of the previous 3 weeks.  And that just barely popped us into the black month over month.  Perhaps we hit rock bottom and are on an upward swing?  Something tells me not to be so optimistic.  Maybe it was that epic glitch day this past Friday that still has me worried.

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

I'm experiencing this with eBay, and as someone who sells on multiple platforms I can say that for us the downturn is limited to eBay. For years, eBay accounted for about 75% of our online sales. That number decreased to about 60% over time. But over the past few months, eBay dropped to 40% of our sales. Over the past month, that number has dropped to 20%. We actually haven't made a single sale on eBay for over a week now, while sales on all other platforms are just as steady if not better. 

So at least for us, this is nothing to do with economy or season or anything like that. Something is up with eBay. 

Message 15 of 16
latest reply