cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay "Metering" Sales For Top Rated Sellers

I have noticed more and more that sales from month to month have been very consistent, even as days pass by with one or two sales. To put this in perspective, we have almost 2,700 items listed. There is no rational reason that we should have even a single day with under 10 sales. And days with 20 or more sales should be common.  Yet the former happens frequently and the latter occurs very infrequently. 

It is common to have a few days with very low sales and then a "catch up" day with a bunch of sales. To me, this shows clear signs of eBay "metering" our sales. In other words, not allowing the market on eBay to be fair. In a fair market, reputation, price, low shipping rates, delivery timeframe, low return rates, etc., are the primary drivers of placement and therefore sales. eBay appears to have their thumb on the scales, favoring new sellers to get them "hooked" on the platform, favoring sellers who pay the highest "bribes" (promotional fees), and keeping sales just high enough for reputable sellers so that they don't leave the platform.

A lack of transparency in search does damage to the buyers as well as the sellers. Why? Because they aren't being presented with products sold by the best sellers in Best Match. I ask eBay what I can do to improve my sales and they essentially say "nothing," as we are following all best practices. Well, not entirely true. They DO tell us to increase our bribe even higher than we already pay to get better placement. Unfortunately, we don't sell cheap junk with huge margins. We actually have to pay FAIRLY for our inventory.

I'm interested in finding out if other reputable sellers have the same experiences, and if they have found a way to improve things for their stores.

Message 1 of 107
latest reply
106 REPLIES 106

@vssoutlet wrote:

It is common to have a few days with very low sales and then a "catch up" day with a bunch of sales. To me, this shows clear signs of eBay "metering" our sales. 

I'm interested in finding out if other reputable sellers have the same experiences, 

Seems to this arguably reputable seller that it shows what I suspect, that sales on Ebay are stochastic, that is random in nature.  I don't perceive any signs that Ebay is "metering" your sales or my sales.  That is yet another version of using a cargo cult to explain it.  The minimum time period to view sales data is 60 days, preferably 90 days.  My sales over 60 days are remarkable steady, although there has been a slight trend downwards over this past year.

Message 2 of 107
latest reply

I am doing a continuous 3% promotion on everything aside from what I have newly listed since starting the promotion about a month ago. I am pretty sure this is generating some of my sales. 

Lately, promoted sales are about 50% of my sales.

Instead of lowering prices on some range of items, I am doing markdown sales on longer tail items.

I did just have a $2500 sale last Thursday which would make a good week for me if it was the only sale, so my sales are up 60% over the last 30 days. The past 10 or 12 weeks have been steady lately.

I guess I will find out in the coming week if I hit a cap or something. Been listing quite a few new items the last week as well, so I shall see. Though admittedly, the new listings were not loaded with hot items......

Posting ID
Message 3 of 107
latest reply

We try to be reputable salespeople, between our two accounts that have 5,000+ listings we have made one sale today.

I am not sure how much blame we could place on eBay for this unfortunate circumstance, we could probably do more to increase sales such as free shipping or lowering our prices to unprofitability.  When I started a few months ago my goal was to sell 1% of my inventory a day or so, therefore we should have 50 sales a day.

The economy does not seem to support my rich ideas and in fact have only faced increasingly difficult headwinds as time goes on.  I think the trick to being happy is to lower my expectations and just pray that this is unfortunate economic times instead of a metric of my worth or sales ability.  I do lack a frame of reference here as I am only 5 months old.

My new goal is 5 sales a day, or .1% of my inventory and just resign myself that I am now purchasing items I will sell in 15 years 🙂

In my case, I believe that retro video games will only continue to appreciate, so I will hold my breath and my prices and wait for the market to catch up, or let my descendents sell them instead haha

Message 4 of 107
latest reply

I would agree in theory, but after reviewing your items for sale, I would have to believe you are in a dying market. Your inventory may appeal to the aging crowd but not the younger generation, just like antiques or almost any collectible. I travel the country quite often and talk to many small and larger antique dealers and even large auction houses. It is a clear consensus that for several years now, young people do not collect. I used to dabble in vintage glass slides but found them almost impossible to sell. FYI I am 66. I wish you luck!

Message 5 of 107
latest reply

@vssoutlet wrote:

It is common to have a few days with very low sales and then a "catch up" day with a bunch of sales.

I work B&M retail. I see that exact same kind of pattern all the time at my B&M job as well.

Message 6 of 107
latest reply

My friend, I know you mean well, but the truth is that retro games are absolutely huge right now in the younger generation.   These ain't Avon glass, this market is quite hot. 

And retrogames10000 has an enviable selection at what I would call very competitive prices.  Frankly the stuff should be flyin' off the shelves.  

The fact that it isn't, to me, is really quite a "tell" that something is very, very wrong with Ebay at the moment. 

I believe that it has simply become unstable.  You can fall off, and when you fall off, there is no climbing back up.  

I would believe otherwise, if I ever met someone who had succeeded.  A seller with a few thousand items whose sales mysteriously collapsed, then returned to normal somehow.  SO far I have not found anyone matching this description...

Message 7 of 107
latest reply

@greatmidwestcoin wrote:

I would agree in theory, but after reviewing your items for sale, I would have to believe you are in a dying market. Your inventory may appeal to the aging crowd but not the younger generation, just like antiques or almost any collectible. I travel the country quite often and talk to many small and larger antique dealers and even large auction houses. It is a clear consensus that for several years now, young people do not collect. I used to dabble in vintage glass slides but found them almost impossible to sell. FYI I am 66. I wish you luck!

Film and film cameras are having a renaissance similar to vinyl and old video games - look at the prices OP is getting for film - I have gotten similar in the times I've been lucky enough to find it - there are now small companies making film as well as Kodak, etc., and film cameras (particularly 35 mm) are also becoming sought after.

Young people DO collect, but different things, absolutely.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 8 of 107
latest reply

One of the skills most sellers on Ebay lack is the ability to identify the size of the market for what they sell.

Your market like my market is small, and shrinking.

Relatively small shifts in traffic can have large effects on our sales.

The more arcane what you offer is, the less competition you have on the top rated sellers are not offering most of your products, @m60driver is correct, you need to view your sales on longer periods.

Message 9 of 107
latest reply

The younger crowd is exactly who is collecting that stuff. Film cameras are very hot with the 20's. And they can bring some crazy prices these days. 

Message 10 of 107
latest reply

Welcome to 2023. Sales don't mean a thing unless you pay eBay 30 percent commission. If you don't offer a good promotion then sales suffer.  🤷 so rethink the aspects of selling what sells on eBay. What should a seller sell what does a buyer want. You can have 5000 items listed. But if have items I can buy all over from various suppliers then a guy with 30 items can out sell you. I don't compete with others. Average weekly sales range before summer a few hundred a week. Black Friday to March is close or more then that. It doesn't matter what you sell it only how many thousands you're willing to give ebay as a kick back. It's all a gimmic amd a game. I have sold since 95 now figure that out.... if your products are generic have a barcode I can always find it cheaper then what you're selling it for. So that leaves two choices pay eBay more or drop your price by 15 percent and make a less margin. If you can't do that find a cheaper supplier

Message 11 of 107
latest reply

We have just returned from a week vacation so my impressions and views have been cut in half in the last few days since the return. 

We pay 9% advertisement on every item we sell, and the recommended for my category varies it seems from 11 to 14.  We must truly choose how to increase sales and continue paying the 21

.% total selling fees and the buyer pays shipping at this time.

We may shift to free shipping in the future, as one of my primary concerns was the ability to offer calculated shipping discounts to large orders, but many of my orders are for one item anyway.

We could increase our ad spend to dynamic up to 14% but I feel the pressure a bit above 10% ad spend.  Video games is a saturated category, it is something to think about to increase sales.

I am struggling with the optimal formulation for the business model as I source 100% of my product on eBay as well, I do see other sellers in my category that I admire selling high volumes everyday so I need to work on my prices and wait for changes in the video game market as a whole.

Message 12 of 107
latest reply

@selsa84 wrote:

The younger crowd is exactly who is collecting that stuff. Film cameras are very hot with the 20's. And they can bring some crazy prices these days. 

There's a warmth and depth in film photography that is almost impossible to replicate with digital photography. Not to mention effects that can be produced in a darkroom. Younger photographers are realising that, as well as older photographers who have never forgotten. It's a lot like vinyl in that respect.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 13 of 107
latest reply

Hmm, but again, I offer the experience of retrogames10000 as a counterpoint to that. (I mistakenly thought greatmidwestcoin was referring to the retro games, not the cameras, but the counterpoint still stands.)

The fact is, retrogames10000 has a wonderful variety of stuff which in the real world has a very ready market, yet their sales are dismal as well.  It may be possible to brush off some items as being niche, but retro games are a huge collectible right now. 

And this isn't uniformly affecting all retro games sellers, there is another seller I know who has a very similar assortment to retrogames10000, and whose prices are not nearly as good as retrogames10000...but that other seller is selling 10 items every day, with less inventory in stock. 

Message 14 of 107
latest reply

No, I don't think it's the promotion percentage.   I've run tests on that, high percentages haven't made items move.   In fact I found that the low percentages sold better, paradoxically.  I think buyers have learned to skip the promoted listings, and the real value is in the non-search impressions. 

In some categories the high percentages might work.  In others, people might just think they do...they might be getting misled because any edits to a listing will tend to cause a brief boost in visibility. 

(Paradox:  I have also found that if you pick up a stale listing and use "sell similar" to list some other new items like it, it isn't uncommon that the stale listing will suddenly get offers! Try it.)

What I think is that Ebay's internal rating system, whatever it is, is unstable, and easily confused.  And when it gets confused, your listings get 'streamlined' away in searches. Even if you have a lot of stuff that people would usually want.  Even if your prices are good and your metrics are stellar. 

I think that if you sell a lot of stuff in the same category, sell 10 items a day in mostly that category, backfill with 10 new listings in that category, your sales stay at that mark.   If you instead list 20 items a day your sales still stay up, maybe get a bit better, but you start building up inventory.  At some point you are like us with 1000 or 5000 or 10000 items listed.  

But that's when things get dangerous, because for whatever reason, when you grow, the daily sell-rate never quite grows at the same pace as the inventory.  It "smells" like there is some sort of inverse-square rule at play, though I doubt it's deliberately programmed.  But then you get into problems, because suddenly you have all these legitimately good, attractive items (if you listed them anew, today, they'd sell as quickly as they did, when you listed others before that were like them), but the daily sales rate doesn't turn them over fast enough, and Ebay decides that suddenly, the items you had that were so interesting two years ago when you had less...are just not that interesting, because, hey, we auto-calculated the sell thru rate, Q. E. D. 

Basically I think you're doomed, on this platform.  You're doomed to grow a whole bunch of inventory, then die.   And every time I see a big seller on here with the same sort of experience, I get more certain that this is simply how this platform works, whether by design or by simple bad programming. 

There are items I'm quite interested in for my own use, for which the market today is as good or better than it was 10 years ago.   But 10 years ago I was discovering sellers when they had 300 items, and watching them grow rapidly, sales growing at the same time, until they had 10000 or more, and with the sales to match.  I am not seeing that kind of growth anymore.   Sad. 

Message 15 of 107
latest reply