cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay put large package shipping to cali and way too low a price

So I had a poster up that was 50 inches in length and I had the shipping set to 50 x 6 x 6 in and 10 lbs (guesstimated I don’t even own a scale) cause it’s just in a big paper tube. I had it set to calculate but it put California shipping at $25?? I physically go to the post office not print labels because I don’t own a printer and much smaller boxes definitely not that long are more than that?? I’m scared I’ll go and they’ll say it’s $50-100 and I’ll be paying THEM to take it. eBay showed the cost as $25 local and $60 towards the coasts so why…I’m in Wisconsin I’m not close so uh what do I do I expected to see $60 for California. 

Message 1 of 55
latest reply
54 REPLIES 54

Re: eBay put large package shipping to cali and way too low a price

Having and using the correct tools & equipment to sell here is key to success.

Proper camera & editing software to make presentable photos.

Shipping supplies, scale, tape, boxes, a printer is a must to print your own labels

which saves money.

And so on.......

Message 31 of 55
latest reply

I’m selling these as a yard sale though once my stuff is gone it’s gone so I’m just trying to get rid of it almost all of it is at a loss from what I paid anyway 

Message 32 of 55
latest reply

So I tried my neighbors scale and it’s coming up as 3lbs. Can I still use the eBay generated one that says 10? 

Message 33 of 55
latest reply

@*meigara* wrote:

I’m selling these as a yard sale though once my stuff is gone it’s gone so I’m just trying to get rid of it almost all of it is at a loss from what I paid anyway 

Then wouldn't it be better to donate the items??

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 34 of 55
latest reply

Uh everything else is really far away I don’t even think the postal annex here has a QR code reader but I can call in the AM for that.

the neighbor let me use their scale but I had to subtract it from my weight cause it’s a person scale so it’s about 3lbs. Can I still use this label even if it says 10? 

Like said my neighbor can print it I just need to be able to email it to them and I’ve never printed an eBay one so I don’t know if it’s something I can just email to myself 

Message 35 of 55
latest reply

Well no because I still get some money I just don’t get what I paid for it and it’s entirely going to bills and debt 

Message 36 of 55
latest reply

@*meigara* wrote:

Uh everything else is really far away I don’t even think the postal annex here has a QR code reader but I can call in the AM for that.

the neighbor let me use their scale but I had to subtract it from my weight cause it’s a person scale so it’s about 3lbs. Can I still use this label even if it says 10? 

You can use it. But you might be overpaying. Although, at those dimensions (50 x 6 x 6). The dimensional weight is probably at or above ten pounds so it's possibly moot.

Message 37 of 55
latest reply

Doesn't That package go based on dimensional weight of 11 lbs?

Message 38 of 55
latest reply

hmm I guess my safest option is the eBay label but what happens if usps rejects it 

I was generous with it when I listed it because originally I wasn’t charging for shipping the cost was in the item price labeled as free and that’s the dimensions I put. But I had it for sale for $180 and free shipping cause it’s a super rare imported item and I thought it would cost me $50 to ship but no one was buying it for 2 years so I knocked it down to $80 after awhile with calculated shipping because for some odd reason people like having shipping costs instead of seeing free. I have it out it now and it’s about 3 inches diameter across and obviously it’s a tube so no corners so it’s 50 inches and 3 across 

Message 39 of 55
latest reply

If you purchased that label and use it USPS will not "reject" it.

The USPS APV system will check it along the way.

If not enough paid, your same payment method used to purchase the label will be charged any additional.

If you paid too much the APV can also detect that, and you may be credited the difference.

Message 40 of 55
latest reply

Oh wow that’s pretty efficient I like that. Cool I’m gonna use the eBay label thanks everyone you’ve been a huge help!

gonna also need to invest in a usps label printer so I can actually print labels myself 

Message 41 of 55
latest reply

@*meigara* wrote:

Oh wow that’s pretty efficient I like that. Cool I’m gonna use the eBay label thanks everyone you’ve been a huge help!

gonna also need to invest in a usps label printer so I can actually print labels myself 

A regular printer and tape is sufficient unless you want to waste money on something you may only be using a few months.

Message 42 of 55
latest reply

@*meigara* wrote:

hmm I guess my safest option is the eBay label but what happens if usps rejects it 

I was generous with it when I listed it because originally I wasn’t charging for shipping the cost was in the item price labeled as free and that’s the dimensions I put. But I had it for sale for $180 and free shipping cause it’s a super rare imported item and I thought it would cost me $50 to ship but no one was buying it for 2 years so I knocked it down to $80 after awhile with calculated shipping because for some odd reason people like having shipping costs instead of seeing free. I have it out it now and it’s about 3 inches diameter across and obviously it’s a tube so no corners so it’s 50 inches and 3 across 

It's 3" diameter? You said 6" earlier. 

Honestly. Even if USPS will settle up later. You might be better off just going to USPS or an Office Max or something and have them measure and weigh it.

Message 43 of 55
latest reply

For the difference in cost on this package you could buy a printer and a digital scale.

Worth every penny.

This is a life lesson.

I detest having life lessons too.

https://postcalc.usps.com/Business/Index

Message 44 of 55
latest reply

If you have not yet "purchased" the label you can change the dimensions, and weight before you purchase it.

Be sure to attach the label positioned so that it can be scanned.

Message 45 of 55
latest reply