cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay no longer advertising on Google searches

Good Morning Community. 

I noticed a dip in sales and traffic this past 2 weeks.  during my investigation, I noticed that eBay is no longer advertising on google searches. Before, if you searched for a product like mine on google, me and many other sellers will show as options. Now, all you see is Etsy and Amazon. Anyone here has an idea of what is happening?

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

I have no idea. If I had to guess, I would think it was a cost-cutting measure.

Message 2 of 27
latest reply

My listings are still showing on Google. These companies make adjustments every hour. Try using different devices to perform searches. Turn off your location.

Message 3 of 27
latest reply

That is not my experience as recently as last night.

Are you talking about a regular Google search or Google Shopping? What were your search terms? Organic or paid? Your own items or eBay in general?

Overall eBay has never been that well represented on Google.

Message 4 of 27
latest reply

once upon a time eBay heavily advertised on Google. Recently I noticed nothing from eBay on Google images. NOTHING! 
What the hell are my fees paying for? In the past eBay has had problems with Google! 
I list on Pinterest, 

ebay really is declining! 

Message 5 of 27
latest reply

Nothing to do with eBay advertising on Google.  Google is deploying new search mechanisms and deprecating what was in place.  The new mechanisms apparently are using machine learning/AI and it's anyone's guess (I am a software engineer) what it all is, I've not done a deep dive to see what they are doing at a more understanding level.

I spoke with a relative who works for a digital ad firm earlier tonight about some issues.  I'm not gonna "arf arf" over them here but it's likely expect significant changes coming.

Message 6 of 27
latest reply

@retro_entertainment_collectibles wrote:

I'm not gonna "arf arf" over them here but it's likely expect significant changes coming.

Huh?  I can't make sense of this sentence. -not sure what 'arf' implies, and did you skip a word or two somewhere after "but"?  

Message 7 of 27
latest reply

@fastqualitydecals wrote:

Good Morning Community. 

I noticed a dip in sales and traffic this past 2 weeks.  during my investigation, I noticed that eBay is no longer advertising on google searches. Before, if you searched for a product like mine on google, me and many other sellers will show as options. Now, all you see is Etsy and Amazon. Anyone here has an idea of what is happening?

Don't know what you are looking at. But according to eBay's own metrics my page views from Google search are up 17.8% in the past 30 days. Considering you posted this in 11/8 and today is 12/12 this represents 30 days after your posting.

google.jpg

Message 8 of 27
latest reply

@richard1rst wrote:

@fastqualitydecals wrote:

Good Morning Community. 

Don't know what you are looking at. But according to eBay's own metrics my page views from Google search are up 17.8% in the past 30 days. Considering you posted this in 11/8 and today is 12/12 this represents 30 days after your posting.

google.jpg

Im in no way saying that it is, but in all honesty that 17.8% rise could be a based off 10 views, 100 views, or 100k views, in which case that would be a stellar increase.

Message 9 of 27
latest reply

The thing with percentages is that these are based on previous history.

So if the previous history was 10 views a day and that rose to 20 views a day, that's a 100% increase.

Which is terrific.

And if the previous history was 100 views a day and that rose to 110 views a day, that's a 10% increase.

Which is kinda meh.

A View is  someone who did not buy your product.

Message 10 of 27
latest reply

Google released another core update November of this year. Content quality and relevance is a significant part of these updates, plus sites are sometimes ranked lower or higher depending on a lot of factors not all under their control. Google's updates have made SEO a little volatile and they tend to be opaque about it.

Same thing just happened with NASDAQ Exchange - eBay was one of 6 companies to be removed from the NASDAQ 100 due to losing market share and headwinds, but may be back next year.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 11 of 27
latest reply

@gurlcat wrote:

@retro_entertainment_collectibles wrote:

I'm not gonna "arf arf" over them here but it's likely expect significant changes coming.

Huh?  I can't make sense of this sentence. -not sure what 'arf' implies, and did you skip a word or two somewhere after "but"?  

"Arf Arf" is "Bark over" 🙂 LOL.

He'd told me some things I'd prefer verify before barking it out the public here.

Message 12 of 27
latest reply

The INTRIGUE is killing me!!  🤣

Message 13 of 27
latest reply

I just looked at Google shopping and ebay was at the top of the page and my stuff 

shows on the first page of ebay listings.  

Message 14 of 27
latest reply

@dirk12955 wrote:

I just looked at Google shopping and ebay was at the top of the page and my stuff 

shows on the first page of ebay listings.  

Hmm, not sure if you intended to reply to me directly or to the whole thread in general.  But you have my attention -so, I can't recall ever seeing any of my items on google, other than a couple of times for verrrry rare items and I already sold them long before.  

I always assume it has something to do with google "knowing" it's me somehow, and not showing my own items because obviously I don't want to BUY from myself.  Like just now I tested it for this item (see below).  I tried a couple different keyword searches like 'jais nielsen brooch' and 'jais nielsen set'.  -Jewelry made by that artist is fairly rare, but not too rare, which you'll see if you search.  Theoretically, my listing SHOULD show, but it doesn't, not to me anyway. I see a couple images that look just like mine (ceramic green face) but they're not my listing.  And I'm looking at both images and shopping results.  -Would you care to see if you can find my listing on google?  I would be very curious and appreciative.

Screen Shot 2023-12-13 at 11.28.55 AM.png

Message 15 of 27
latest reply