cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay is not doing enough to stop price gouging during Covid-19

ebay is clearly not doing nearly enough during this global pandemic to prevent unethical sellers to take advantage of buying up essential items like toilet paper and paper towels, etc and selling them at outrageous prices on their platform.  Sure they have a report button but there is no option to clearly report PRICE GOUGING and even if you do manage to find a way to report it as illegal activity or whatever, literally nothing seems to happen.  I've reported the same listing for a $7,000 4-pack of charmin toilet paper multiple times over two days and it's still up.

Allowing this behavior is proof that ebay is complicit in this illegal behavior and should be shut down by our government.  I don't know about you but I've had it with eBay's completely unacceptable behavior when we are all suffering though this terrible crisis.  Enough is enough.

Message 1 of 146
latest reply
145 REPLIES 145

Re: eBay is not doing enough to stop price gouging during Covid-19

You need to be reporting from the 'Completed Listings' they are the water over the dam that the State AG's want desperately to see. You are correct, skeleton crews, and no resources to research the egregious actors on the platform. 

It is well know that they are desperate to have the listings reported. THEY WANT THE LISTING LINKS! NOT SCREENSHOTS!

Everyone has an area they are targeting, mine has been Isopropyl Alcohol. Looking at the completed listings you will find the Individuals with the most corrupted moral compasses. I found 15 sellers all with more than 200 bottles of 32oz. Isopropyl Alcohol sold over the last 2 weeks, all with a price higher than $22.00 a bottle! The 'Ebay Price Trending' you see on a listing that is listed lower than trend price in NOW $29 a bottle. PROOF THAT ABSOLUTELY NO PROGRESS IS BEING MADE! The listings are removed, and immediately Re-Listed.

When available at Walmart the price is $2.50

Message 106 of 146
latest reply

@gussharp68 wrote:

You have a great point, since eBay can’t seem to stop this and is likely not highly motivated to really try, shutting them down until the crisis is over would certainly help those in need get the supplies they need that have to date been stripped from shelves by greedy ebay sellers among others.

eBay banned me for three days for suggesting they get shut down and starting a community thread about it.  They know their reputation is taking a beating here because of this.  They’ll probably ban me again for saying this but the 2 best things we can do about this:

1) file complaints on the sellers with the state attorney general in the state the seller ships from;

2) write to your political representatives and demand eBay be temporarily shut down during the crisis because they are responsible for allowing sellers to price gouge critical items during a national emergency resulting in diminished supply that is costing lives and putting everyone at risk.

Shutting ebay down would only serve to hurt even further those who depend on their ebay sales. Not a good solution at all.

Message 107 of 146
latest reply

Here is a perfect example of a seller that obviously has been clearing shelves of essential items and listing them on eBay at price gouging markups.  Reported every item this seller has that is in violation for over a week.  Result, eBay does nothing.  I've filed a complaint with the Indian State Attorney and the Federal Trade Commission.  Seller is s.k.b123

Someone explain to me why, unlike Amazon, eBay isn't doing anything about this seller.  How is this not illegal price gouging. I swear, if COVID-19 targeted only people like this, I think I'd be happy about it.  Who raises people like this that turn out to be such horrid human beings?

Message 108 of 146
latest reply

Right on!!! This is war, eBay and the price gouging hoarding sellers is the enemy.  We must prevail.

Message 109 of 146
latest reply

and now baby diapers are the latest hoarding price gouging craze.  These eBay sellers have no compassion or soul.

Message 110 of 146
latest reply

A lot of businesses had to shut down during this crisis.  eBay should be no different and in fact would serve to help a lot more people than most of the businesses that have already been shut.  eBay is one of the bad actors along with many of the sellers on its platform.  Be part of the solution, not the problem.

Message 111 of 146
latest reply

You are right. The only thing to do is call or write your congressman or attorney general. eBay is making money off these sales which is very wrong. Why haven’t the news  picked up on this is also puzzling. They go after amazon and not eBay why? Call or write to your local  newspaper and maybe we can stop this.

Message 112 of 146
latest reply

My Walmart still got 3 bottles at the $ 2.50 price. I just saw 2 bottles on here for over $ 90.  Lots are so right. E bay is not stopping this they even have sponsored listings with gouges.  Shame on e bay for not stepping up right. And shame on the ones doing this. 

Message 113 of 146
latest reply

Wrong. Does ebay collect a fee (read commission) on each sale of each item? Then THEY are part of the transaction. They will have to answer to the Attorney General of California. Get over it. 

Message 114 of 146
latest reply

@fourkidzaz wrote:

Some buyers are desperate, you know the medically homebound who could not get thier supplies because of other greedy people,hoarding with intention of gouging. But doubt anyone is really going to pay that amount.

Have you seen the outrageous prices for Lysol disinfectant spray? I can't believe that people are actually paying thousands of dollars for cans of it. 

Message 115 of 146
latest reply

Because there's more at play than the the money.
Message 116 of 146
latest reply

Blame the gougers. They're the villains of the story.
Message 117 of 146
latest reply

Hello,

I agree.  E-bay has done nothing to stop these price gougers.  I spent this weekend contacting the sellers and telling what they are doing is wrong.  Reporting them to E-bay does no good; there is no one there.  Their telephone number gives you the message that they aren’t there.  Scolding criminals does no good.  I have been an E-bay buyer for over twenty years, and I can remember when most folks were honest and fair.  I personally don’t need these items for sale, but there are some poor folks out there that do.  When this is all over, I am sending a list of these price gougers to their respective attorneys general.  I think that E-bay shares the blame; they get 13% of the money received.  I think the federal government should prosecute them and fine them.  PayPal should monitor these transactions as well.  People who pay these high prices are desperate, and should be helped and not be taken advantage of.  I have cancelled by E-bay account in protest.

Message 118 of 146
latest reply

That includes eBay who earns a percentage of the sale and does little to ban the price gouging seller. Removing a listing does no good when they just turn right back around and relist it. 

Message 119 of 146
latest reply

what you all need to do is contact your local AG offices in the states you live in and make them hold Ebay responsible I have been reporting these people as well and nothing is being done. Ebay makes money off these sales so is just as responsible as the sellers causing fellow human being extra pain during this if ebay was serious the would close these sellers accounts permantly after one warning next time gone, Force them to refund money for all the price gouging sells they see in there accounts.

Message 120 of 146
latest reply