cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay is making more profit than I am when I sell.

A bunch of greedy thieves.  How is this ok? I don’t want to keep going with it, but I need to sell. I made $70 profit….you made $80 after listing fees, transaction fees, taxes, shipping, and there are fees upon fees.  I hope I can move away from this sorry thieving platform.  Anybody know a better place to sell sports cards? I’m getting robbed. 

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: eBay is making more profit than I am when I sell.

The shipping has nothing to do with Ebay. The buyer pays you the shipping then you buy a label-that is a wash. The sales tax is paid by the buyer and then ebay sends it to the state-again this is not ebay's money to keep. There should not be any listing fees you paid. Transaction fees yes. Did you pay for promotional ads? That part is voluntary.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

I hear you and that's why I researched and found people interested in my stuff instead of selling here. I used to sell sci fi action figures/ships and I've found lots of businesses that are willing to buy items and they pay shipping and no fees are charged. I throw a label on it, ship it and they either pay with PayPal or send a check. What is even easier is dealing with vintage toy shops in surrounding areas. I just take what I have to them, we negotiate a price and I walk out with cash in my pocket, no shipping and no fees. 

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Adjust your pricing and cost model. Personally the only thing I worry about is what my profit is I could care less what other components make/take like: sales tax, carrier costs, eBay fees, state and federal income tax and SE tax. You didn't provide a lot of information on your example with regards to the eBay fees and the separation of the fees from selling costs. For most eBay categories the FVF's are 13.25% on the total item price +$.30 or $.40. 

Of course there are LOTS of other ecommerce sites out there all you have to do is some research. 

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

So you believe that the fees are kept secret from you? When I used to sell, admittedly a long time ago, it was possible to see what the fees would be although I generally was pretty well acquainted with what I'd pay.

And I believe that your buyer still pays shipping and state sales tax.

BTW, that remark about "you made etc"? No one here is the "you" you are citing.  

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

@billytreece wrote:

A bunch of greedy thieves.  How is this ok?

Anybody know a better place to sell sports cards? I’m getting robbed. 

So you want out, are seeking another  residence for selling & know that Ebay won't stop you leaving.

So are you feeling good luck awaits  your quest for a far better place ?

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Billy,

If, somewhere down the road, you are in the position of needing a consideration from "the thieving platform," it may not be so disposed. In addition, that manner of addressing e-Bay may, according to what I recall from my LLB in 1971, border on libel.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Selling sportscards is most fun in person.  I did it about 20-25 years ago and was some great memories.  Do you have a local show circuit you can get attached to and set up every other month or so? It's really fun if you've never tried.  It also makes selling bulk a lot easier and gets rids of grading disputes because everything is in person.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Open your garage door, lay the cards out, with prices.  That's free, although, you won't sell any because nobody knows about it.
Spend $30 on some signs and put them up around your house to let people know.
Odds are, wherever you bought the signs from, will make more money than you.
Spend several hundred advertising more, more, more.
Still, the advertisers will probably be making more money than you. 

It's tough finding the right mix.  The big winner here on eBay "appears" to be UPS, USPS, and FedEx.  But, without knowing their costs?  Hard to say for sure

Message 9 of 9
latest reply