cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay is discontinuing guides in April

In case you didn't see it...

eBay is discontinuing guides and will be removing them from the site between now and April 12, 2018. If you’ve used guides to help bring buyers to your listings, we offer sellers even more effective ways to generate traffic. Learn how promoted listings and Promotions Manager will help you drive velocity. Please save your work before guides are removed from the site April 12. Backing them up to your computer is as simple as copying and pasting them into new text documents. To keep your guides published on the web, consider transferring them to a web publishing platform, such as Wordpress or Blogger.

I'm really sad to see the guides go. I had a lot of them published. They are also taking away customizable stores soon, so creating custom pages in your store (yes, I considered that) will not work either. Smiley Sad

https://bio.link/langs
Message 1 of 65
latest reply
64 REPLIES 64

Anything they can do to squish squeeze or pummel all sellers into one same size & shape box.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 2 of 65
latest reply

Next thing will be no User IDs shown - only eBay will actually KNOW who the seller is.

Message 3 of 65
latest reply

What is the point of removing all guides? A lot of them are old and outdated. Why not just remove those?

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 4 of 65
latest reply

@lookng2015wrote:
Next thing will be no User IDs shown - only eBay will actually KNOW who the seller is.

Imagine all of the scammers taking advantage of that...now THAT would be bad..

Message 5 of 65
latest reply

But then they can say they bought it FROM eBay. Let eBay take on the scammers then.

Message 6 of 65
latest reply

I wonder why they are doing that. Certainly not to help sellers, or buyers. Many guides are excellent and valuable resources. I never thought of them as generating traffic, but rather as "guides." 

ON VACATION
GONE FISHING
BACK AT 6
Message 7 of 65
latest reply

Hey, jen_proudleowife, when you say "old and outdated," you're cutting it awful close, doncha think?

Hey, wait a dingdang minute -- according to the eBay Community, I'M A GUIDE, too!

Well, I hope there's no pain. . ..
Message 8 of 65
latest reply

@lookng2015wrote:
But then they can say they bought it FROM eBay. Let eBay take on the scammers then.

Things I really liked about eBay is how you can see seller's feedback and easily contact them and how every listing is unique and different and how each seller has to work hard to get established and have nice listings.

On Amazon, everyone used stock photos, and it is definitely more of a 'buying from Amazon' experience.

I have met so many neat people here on eBay - selling on eBay and here on the boards. Some people who have bought from me get monthly emails letting them know about new items for sale, and one comes back EVERY single time to get more. I never would have met them if their package had not gotten lost.

Message 9 of 65
latest reply

@1786davycrockettwrote:
Hey, jen_proudleowife, when you say "old and outdated," you're cutting it awful close, doncha think?

Hey, wait a dingdang minute -- according to the eBay Community, I'M A GUIDE, too!

Well I mean.....if the shoe fits......I kid I kid 🙂

all I meant was some guides are pretty old and contain outdated info, seeing as they were created 10 years ago! Just remove those. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 10 of 65
latest reply

@1786davycrockettwrote:

@1786davycrockett

This thread has nothing to do with the community members ranked 'guides'.

Jen is referring to Buying Guides - http://www.ebay.com/gds.

Message 11 of 65
latest reply

They know that.

(we really need a sarcasm font)

Message 12 of 65
latest reply

Boy, that's a relief -- I had just started making out my last will and testament.
Message 13 of 65
latest reply

@1786davycrockettwrote:
Boy, that's a relief -- I had just started making out my last will and testament.

Smiley Very Happy

Message 14 of 65
latest reply

That's a shame, some of the old ebay guides are really helpful. Sure some are out of date or out of touch with current policy, but there's still bits of wisdom to be gleaned from going through them. And for some reason google gave them a nice placement in their search algorithm.

The most useful to me were the grading guidelines for records, postcards, and sports cards, and the ones that offered packing tips.
Message 15 of 65
latest reply