cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay is a complete joke

Same old discussions about low sales for months now. Been here since 1998 full time seller since 2007 with multiple sellers account. Average $800-2k per day for 10+ years and since June sales have tanked across all the stores 80%. Yesterday was a record low with a $3.50 sale. Website sales are growing, Amazon sales are growing but eBay? It's just a stupid circus at this point. Our sales tanked after we signed up for the payment system, sales went to zero instantly. After months of fighting with them they finally let us get out of it but in the process they broke all our stores, customers couldn't check out, glitch after glitch dashboard completely messed up, not even getting sales emails nothing works. This site is completely worthless and a waste of time. All to deal with the worse scammers buyers while eBay takes 10-12% profit and what do we get at the end of it? $3 sale.
It's created so much stress for us running multiple stores that are not making any money we have finally come to the decision after 22 years that it's time to close all our eBay accounts and move on. Will never buy or sell anything on eBay, it's been too painful and I'm sick and tired or making their executives money and pay for their jet-set lifestyle. They have the Chinese sellers for that. Thanks for nothing eBay hope to see you go down in flame in the near future.  Unlike eBay, at least the Titanic went down with the lights on.

eBay-Titanic.jpg

Message 1 of 53
latest reply
52 REPLIES 52

eBay is a complete joke

Yet eBay continues to retain manny old time sellers & is also adding new sellers.

So EBay continues to prosper & increase revenue.

EBay does appear to be doing things right for eBay.

But there does certainly exist manny much needed improvements.

Message 2 of 53
latest reply

eBay is a complete joke

Same old discussions about low sales for months now. 

Yes,  and what I find most disturbing is the number of long time successful eBay sellers that I have never seen posting on this board before who have been affected by the 2019 sales decline.   

At the same time we have fewer and fewer eBay cheerleaders telling us it's not eBay - it's that you aren't selling "in demand" items, the category is saturated, or your prices are too high.  While I don't sell items that could be called "in demand" - I also don't sell items that have a lot of exact same item competition, and most of my prices are $10-$20 plus shipping.   

I also have multiple accounts - each selling different types of items - and they have all tanked since March 2019.   My husband opened this account in the middle of the recession, and it has grown steadily year after year until this year.   After he passed away I used it to sell his collections and never had a problem with low sales until now.    

eBay has made mutliple big changes in 2019 and has focused on things like promoted listings and managed payments to enhance their revenue stream as sales  GMV declines.   The economy is good - other sites are still growing - and while postage increased as it has every year - it didn't affect my sales when the increase took effect.  I don't view sales tax as a problem either.   Other than adding new listings, I have made no changes to my accounts yet they have all declined for the first time since the recession.   

Sorry, but this is all about eBay, and little else.....

Message 3 of 53
latest reply

eBay is a complete joke

I feel your pain! I have not sold anything for 9 days. And I am about to quit selling on here for good. Unless you are China eBay is a complete joke!!! 😞

Message 4 of 53
latest reply

eBay is a complete joke

@ed8108 wrote:

Yet eBay continues to retain manny old time sellers & is also adding new sellers.

Yet when one looks at ebay's stock graph history, it mimicks a poloygraph hooked up to one who does not lie. Possibly, like many of it's sellers, ebay is also just keeping it's nostrils above the waterline? Both are just [still] barely consistency.

Message 5 of 53
latest reply

eBay is a complete joke

Very sad as eBay is going down for many, many sellers. It IS eBay as I sold 11 items on another platform last night, and 4 this morning.

eBay? 2 accounts, one sale for under $5 on one account, a best offer of $10 on the other.

I can't even get motivated to list here anymore, just cross posting some items from other platforms.

It IS eBay. It IS eBay. It IS IS IS eBay.

Thank goodness for alternative selling platforms, I have also stopped buying here. I know I am not alone on that either. Sellers are buyers, China sellers ARE NOT buyers.
Message 6 of 53
latest reply

eBay is a complete joke

@ed8108 wrote:

Image result for ebay sales growth

eBay shills gonna shill.

Message 7 of 53
latest reply

eBay is a complete joke

@stockjedi wrote:

”... They have the Chinese sellers for that.”

@cs497kcpope wrote:

“... Unless you are China eBay is a complete joke!!! ”

Just as an observation, it is American buyers purchasing (often low quality) goods from the China sellers. If we weren’t buying that stuff, they wouldn't be here.

Of course it is true that eBay courted China big time, assisted with getting them warehouses here, providing valuable marketing research data to them (such as whats hot), encouraged the manufacture of popular and lucrative collectible vintage items for reproduction, and more.

With eBay its been all about the stock prices and not about encouraging healthy ecommerce. We are experiencing the fallout of those choices by eBay.

Message 8 of 53
latest reply

eBay is a complete joke

@ed8108 wrote:

ebay has made many 'improvements', but I don't think adding or changing more is what is needed.  It is the 'fixes' that need be in place, before the improvements.

However, I personally think that it isn't going to be possible to accomplish without a LOT of work and a LOT of money.  One fix seems to cause two glitches.  I think the glitches are too far into the system, and have been there and played with far too often, to be adequately patched.  And, improvements probably aren't going to cover them.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 9 of 53
latest reply

eBay is a complete joke

It's created so much stress for us running multiple stores that are not making any money we have finally come to the decision after 22 years that it's time to close all our eBay accounts and move on. 

eBay-Titanic.jpg

This is part of the problem.   Folks think they need to have multiple stores with lots of listings to have ebay shower them with sales.  It is the opposite.  Why not condense your listings thus improving your sell through ratio then ebay will give you visibility.  Not everyone can be on the front pages.  I too have been here since Feb 1998 with rarely more than 50 items listed at any one time.   I have paid off my home and now I am retired.   Folks need to remember that there are ALOT of other places to sell.   Ebay was once THE place but as the competition increases it only makes sense that the sales will decrease.  The site is clogged and that is not an ebay glitch.  That is the sellers fault.

Message 10 of 53
latest reply

eBay is a complete joke

Sorry to hear there is so much stress with you, also.  This site is the main place where I attempt to "make a living" and it is a complete failure.  Averaging about $13.50 over the last 10 days.  Last 2 weekends - 1 sale for $40.   Absolutely pathetic.  Problem is - where are the online sales?  I'm on other sites & the views are waaaay down & little action.  I cannot rely on those, either.  I'm not going to put all my eggs in 1 basket but, each basket seems to have cracked eggs.   lol   I want to move on from here but, find it necessary to continue as a high % of my 'income' (as little as it is) is here.  Changes are coming in 2020 so, just need to hang in for 6+ weeks.  THEN, decisions will be made.  🙂   Hope you find the success who are seeking elsewhere.   Cheers!

Message 11 of 53
latest reply

eBay is a complete joke

You're singing to the choir.  After 18 years of selling, I'm closing down on December 31, 2020.  I stopped listing new product in August 2018 since sales started tanking in 2016.   Running a markdown sale really slows things down...stopped doing that.   There are pencil manufacturers with higher market cap and valuation than ebay....This site is finished.

Message 12 of 53
latest reply

eBay is a complete joke

@stockjedi wrote:

Same old discussions about low sales for months now. Been here since 1998 full time seller since 2007 with multiple sellers account. Average $800-2k per day for 10+ years and since June sales have tanked across all the stores 80%. Yesterday was a record low with a $3.50 sale. Website sales are growing, Amazon sales are growing but eBay? It's just a stupid circus at this point. Our sales tanked after we signed up for the payment system, sales went to zero instantly. After months of fighting with them they finally let us get out of it but in the process they broke all our stores, customers couldn't check out, glitch after glitch dashboard completely messed up, not even getting sales emails nothing works. This site is completely worthless and a waste of time. All to deal with the worse scammers buyers while eBay takes 10-12% profit and what do we get at the end of it? $3 sale.
It's created so much stress for us running multiple stores that are not making any money we have finally come to the decision after 22 years that it's time to close all our eBay accounts and move on. Will never buy or sell anything on eBay, it's been too painful and I'm sick and tired or making their executives money and pay for their jet-set lifestyle. They have the Chinese sellers for that. Thanks for nothing eBay hope to see you go down in flame in the near future.  Unlike eBay, at least the Titanic went down with the lights on.

eBay-Titanic.jpg

That’s why the ads have people laughing! Now I get it!

Dear God, please help me to be
the person my dog thinks I am.
Message 13 of 53
latest reply

eBay is a complete joke

after reading the previous comments and your sounds like ebay is still running with the old theme. Down with the US and up with china.  I am here because as a new wannabe seller the fees got my attention real quick. Not really worth selling old use items from around the house thats for sure.  Even worse its very difficult to track your fees. Heck , would not doubt it if ebay was owned by china, haha

Message 14 of 53
latest reply

eBay is a complete joke

@gracieallen01 wrote

However, I personally think that it isn't going to be possible to accomplish without a LOT of work and a LOT of money.  One fix seems to cause two glitches.  I think the glitches are too far into the system, and have been there and played with far too often, to be adequately patched.  And, improvements probably aren't going to cover them.

A great number of the so called improvements have been cosmetic, which I will assume has cost eBay a lot of money.

Money would have been better spent to insure basic functions & features are working properly & would seldom require a fix.

It 's not too late ! That would be money wisely spent.

Some current ebay policies should  certainly be reviewed for improvement.

Message 15 of 53
latest reply