cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay fattens their bottom line with FVF on shipping and insertion fees during covid crisis

We are sellers of vintage watches on eBay.  We are registered with the US site and reside in Thailand.  Unfortunately dues to current travel bans in place, we are unable to use our previous means of shipping and have been forced to use eBay's SEAPASS (similar to the GSP).  The costs to send to the US have doubled and Europe, Canada and Australia tripled.  These higher costs would make the purchase of some of our items unlikely and we have had to list items with postage amount less than what we actually are paying.  What burns me most is that eBay gets 10% of the amount we are charging by assessing fees on the shipping.  An example:  Prior to the Covid crisis, we charged a flat rate of 11.00 USD for shipping anywhere on the planet (which covered our costs).  eBay would collect 1.10 USD in FVF on this (they did nothing to deserve this in the first place).  After this deduction *and a further fee of near 5% from PayPal* we were able to cover our shipping costs.  Currently it costs a tad over $21 .00 USD to send an item to the US and just under $30.00 USD to send to Europe (before packaging costs).  eBay now collects $2.10 USD on the items we send to the US and 3.00 USD to items we send to Europe while effectively doing nothing new, innovative or extra to improve our situation.  We take a loss of the shipping and will have absorbed an immediate loss of between $3.00 and $4.00 USD per item as we are offering shipping costs lower than our actual costs.  This is BEFORE ebay collects its usurious fee on shipping which further eats into our bottom line.  So while sellers suffer, eBay gets fatter.  Do something about this ridiculous FVF on shipping before sellers find alternate platforms to sell their items.  Shame on eBay for not considering its sellers!!!!!  (don't get me started on the recent application of insertion fees when is was stated by eBay that sellers would get 50000 free listings a month--see attached)

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

eBay fattens their bottom line with FVF on shipping and insertion fees during covid crisis

FVFs have been charged on shipping for about 10 years, thanks to sellers who avoided them in the early years by selling items for $1 with $100 S/H.

Why should EBay cancel insertion fees for the pandemic? Up your store level, if you have one, or open a second ID to get more free listings.

Message 2 of 21
latest reply

The pandemic has nothing to do with your problem as far as Ebay is concerned. They have not changed any rates since the virus hit. If shipping increased complain about that to whoever raised those cost.

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

eBay could reduce the FVF to show some consideration for their sellers.  While sellers suffer, eBay sits idly by and watches.

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

@siamdao 

Sure, and I’ll just ask my mortgage company to drop my interest rate or forgive a payment or two...

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

Yep, that would be great.  Many creditors and companies are working with clients to assist during these challenging times.   eBay isn't one of them.

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

How much have you lowered your prices?

VintageCarMagazines

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

@siamdao wrote:

Yep, that would be great.  Many creditors and companies are working with clients to assist during these challenging times.   eBay isn't one of them.

eBay gave sellers deferred payments for 2 months because of covid.... Sellers complained

eBay gave sellers with stores 50k of free Fixed Price listings Sellers complained

eBay gave non store sellers (and some store sellers) 200 fixed price or Auction listings Sellers complained.

eBay is covering sellers for slow USPS delivery for several months because of Covid sellers are still complaining.

Personally I think eBay has done enough... Sellers just need to quit complaining and go on with life.

eBay is a business, and as a business they need to make money.  You don't like HOW they make the money then don't sell here... it's really that simple.

When they shove me into MP, I am not blaming eBay when I quit, I will simply walk away.  THEIR job is to make money for their shareholders, if I can't make money doing things their way I need to go somewhere where I can.

I hate photobucket right now... PS Answers given years ago may or may not be current now, please check with current posters to the boards to see if the information is still relevant.
Message 8 of 21
latest reply

Considering we have a) a subscription to a store that offers more free listings than we could possibly use, b) that eBay indicated they would be offering 50000 free listings to sellers in April and c) our listings currently sit at just over 200.   Doesn't take someone with a PHd in Calculus to determine that something doesn't add up........

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

@siamdao wrote:

Considering we have a) a subscription to a store that offers more free listings than we could possibly use, b) that eBay indicated they would be offering 50000 free listings to sellers in April and c) our listings currently sit at just over 200.   Doesn't take someone with a PHd in Calculus to determine that something doesn't add up........

Did you reactivate it in May?

I hate photobucket right now... PS Answers given years ago may or may not be current now, please check with current posters to the boards to see if the information is still relevant.
Message 10 of 21
latest reply

@cynthealee2 wrote:

@siamdao wrote:

Did you reactivate it in May?

And did you add things to your listings? That cause the extra insertion fees?

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

We have paid our invoice on time and completely.  They have NOT provided us with 50000 free listings in April as they have charged insertion fees (see photo in original post).  We do not use USPS and we do not reside in the United States (please carefully read the original Post).   If adding additional concerns, getting in touch with an eBay customer support agent in a timely manner is nearly impossible at this time, yet eBay asks its sellers to be patient with them as conditions are not favorable.  A reduction in service while still maintaining the same fee structure?  I indicated in the original post that sellers may have to walk away from eBay.    It's great that you understand how Macro-economics and that eBay has a bottom line.........

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

The attached photo shows charges in April so unsure why you are asking about an activation in May.......

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

You said you shipped to the US... that would be where eBay is protecting you.

The ONLY place I can find insertion fees on MY account page is under the promotions where they paid it not me.

If you are being charged insertions fees AFTER you activated the promo, then you are either listing in categories eBay didn't cover OR you added something to your listing to cause the extra fee OR there is a glitch.

IF there is a glitch then you need to contact them through email, OR go to their Facebook ebay for business page and send them a private message and an eBay CS will get in contact with you to try and straighten out the issue.

email = https://www.ebay.com/help/home scroll all the way to the bottom and click the contact us button and go through the steps.

Facebook = https://www.facebook.com/eBayForBusiness

As was pointed out earlier eBay has been charging a FVF on shipping for over 10 years, they aren't going to change their minds and MOST sellers did not leave eBay over it.  They adapted and went on with life.

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

@siamdao wrote:

The attached photo shows charges in April so unsure why you are asking about an activation in May.......

There was a glitch in May... sellers had to reactivate the promo. That's why I asked about May.  Once reactivated in May it should auto run through July.

Message 15 of 21
latest reply