cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay adding IPR to non-IPR listings - anyone else?

I tried posting this to the Technical Issues board, but it looks like it is not monitoring at all, even when you summon the blues. Of course, they may be just ignoring me, but I digress...

When originally listing yarn lots, they had IPR, which I normally always use.  In the event buyers wanted to buy multiple lots, I thought it would be easier to remove the IPR, so two days ago, IPR was removed from them.   Yesterday (Friday) I began randomly checking, and the IPR was back on every single one. 

Yesterday, I once again removed the IPR from them.  This morning, it's back AGAIN!  I only changed 2 of them this morning and have not yet checked the rest, but am sure of what will be found.

What is going on?  No sales in 6 days, and I need this added aggravation, especially this time of year?  Come on, eBay, quit playing games.

You all better check your listings that you did NOT put IPR on. You may be surprised at what you find.

“It took me quite a long time to develop a voice, and now that I have it, I am not going to be silent” ― Madeleine K. Albright

Great! 45.8% down over the same time last year with 2x+ items listed. Are you impressed? I'm certainly not!
Message 1 of 40
latest reply
39 REPLIES 39

Re: eBay adding IPR to non-IPR listings - anyone else?

EBay’s it’s not yours until you pay isn’t supposed to work exactly like IPR that you can check. So if it’s checking that box I’d say it is a glitch because that IPR and eBay’s are two different things 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 16 of 40
latest reply

@myangelandmyprincess wrote:

EBay’s it’s not yours until you pay isn’t supposed to work exactly like IPR that you can check. So if it’s checking that box I’d say it is a glitch because that IPR and eBay’s are two different things 

It's not a glitch. Ebay has announced they are adding IPR to listings whether you want it added or not. 

Message 17 of 40
latest reply

@ersatz_sobriquet wrote:

It's not a glitch. Ebay has announced they are adding IPR to listings whether you want it added or not. 

Yes I know eBay is requiring immediate payment but their immediate payment works slightly different than the one a seller can check.  The one a seller checks won’t allow requesting total or echecks.  EBays immediate payment allows both those things. SO it shouldn’t be checking that box 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 18 of 40
latest reply

@ersatz_sobriquet wrote:

Yes I know eBay is requiring immediate payment but their immediate payment works slightly different than the one a seller can check.  The one a seller checks won’t allow requesting total or echecks.  EBays immediate payment allows both those things. SO it shouldn’t be checking that box 

And in their infinate non-wisdom, adding the ebay IPR should be on sales like OVER 100-200.00 or something like that, not UNDER 1000.00. That's just plain stupid.

Just another reason that I only use auctions to sell, and to buy. I'm not going to use the worthless cart. 

Earlier this year, Ebay made a change to add IPR to fixed price listings that were under $1,000.00.

So not a glitch.  

You may or may not be able to remove it using the Advanced Listing form, but from what you posted, it seems that only works temporarily.

Ebay said this was a way to cut down on UPI's and seller cases for non payment.

Message 20 of 40
latest reply

But that change wasn't supposed to set the seller IPR, just an ebay IPR which allows echecks.

Of course, with ebay, what is one way one day is different the next ....

@d-k_treasures wrote:

But that change wasn't supposed to set the seller IPR, just an ebay IPR which allows echecks.

Of course, with ebay, what is one way one day is different the next ....

Exactly the ebay added IPR should not show when you go into OP's yarn listing under shipping & payment 
That format is for when a seller adds the IPR when listing

ipr 2.JPG

Message 22 of 40
latest reply

myangelandmyprincess wrote

I didn't know that. I haven't paid attention to that I no longer get echecks since adding it years ago....but thinking back, I haven't seen any.  I've been using IPR for years! Thanks. 

Message 23 of 40
latest reply

... eBay is requiring immediate payment but their immediate payment works slightly different than the one a seller can check.  The one a seller checks won’t allow requesting total or echecks.  EBays immediate payment allows both those things. SO it shouldn’t be checking that box 

Is this written up someplace, or how did you figure it out?   On the main halp page about IPR, there is no differentiation.  I'm very confused about how there can be two different sets of requirements, both being called 'Immediate payment required."  

Message 24 of 40
latest reply

It's been discussed at length with the blues.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 25 of 40
latest reply

@partial*eclipse wrote:

... eBay is requiring immediate payment but their immediate payment works slightly different than the one a seller can check.  The one a seller checks won’t allow requesting total or echecks.  EBays immediate payment allows both those things. SO it shouldn’t be checking that box 

Is this written up someplace, or how did you figure it out?   On the main halp page about IPR, there is no differentiation.  I'm very confused about how there can be two different sets of requirements, both being called 'Immediate payment required."  

It’s been discussed with the blues on here about the differences.   When a seller checks immediate payment required eBay makes it where I absolutely can’t be purchased until there is actual payment. Thus you can’t request total which makes it a commit to buy without paying and you can’t use an echeck because that’s not immediate payment either.  Along with that Sellers who selected IPR would likely be mad that payment didn’t have to be immediate If those circumstances were allowed.  EBays policy isn’t actually called immediate payment required.   They announced it more “it’s not yours until you pay”. There never seemed an official way to call it. Which is confusing. It needs an official name so it’s easier to differentiate the two. 

With it you are supposed to be able to request total which gives a commit to buy without paying and it will allow echecks 

Message 26 of 40
latest reply

@partial*eclipse wrote:

@llllady wrote:
 ... I think you should test it for us, and let us know how it works out for you.  🙂  🙂  🙂

I have tested it, many times.

Like many of the other posters on those threads, I have often given partial refunds to buyers who don't wait for a combined invoice.  And I have never gotten any defects or even double-secret probation.

Wait till they make it retroactive in the Spring Update. You've been around long enough to know better than to ever think you are "safe" from ANYTHING with eBay.

Chaos is NOT an "industry standard".
Message 27 of 40
latest reply

@d-k_treasures wrote:

@ersatz_sobriquet wrote:

And in their infinate non-wisdom, adding the ebay IPR should be on sales like OVER 100-200.00 or something like that, not UNDER 1000.00. That's just plain stupid.

Just another reason that I only use auctions to sell, and to buy. I'm not going to use the worthless cart. 

I know exactly why they are doing it. It's because you CAN'T COMBINE SHIPPING on large multiple buys, and there must be lots of these on cheap items site wide.

Even if the seller gives the buyer a partial refund for the eBay generated shipping gouge, ebay- and I believe the Pal as well- gets to keep the fees for the full enchilada.

It looks like they are laying the groundwork for eBay to be able to sucker- punch sellers with a defect that eBay will generate for them as well.

Here's a great example of what happened to me recently:

A seller in Europe that I buy records from frequently threw a bunch on eBay for sale. I went to buy 20 of them. The records were $7-21 each, with a shipping charge of $29 each to USA. Listings say the seller combines shipping.

Suddenly, this time, all items are IPR.

I try putting the items in the cart and hit "request total". I get a screen saying that the SELLER does NOT OFFER combined shipping on these items.

I contact him and explain what is going on. He can't figure out where IPR has come from and can't get any straight answers from eBay, either. He tells me to just go ahead and buy them all and he'll manually fix the invoice.

Well, I go ahead and do that... and eBay WILL NOT LET HIM DO IT.

So, he's back in contact with eBay and several days later FINALLY gets a rep to admit that yes, eBay is just adding IPR to BINs under a certain amount, and that there are "glitches" in the system that they are "working on".

After a few more days with no resolution, the seller finally refunds me the $540.00 in excess shipping charges through PayPal because suddenly he can't do a partial through eBay, either.

Imagine his dismay when he gets his eBay bill. Imagine how much happier he will be when eBay decides what he did was also a DEFECT. Shipping gouge fee mugging followed by a swift, hard kick... and all caused by eBay.

What should have been a simple sale for this seller and his buyer wound up being a 10 day ordeal with eBay being of absolutely zero help and then basically mugging him for fraudulent fees on the way out the door. There were roadblocks created by eBay every single step of the way, unannonced, and out of the blue.

THIS is a LOT of the reason a lot of sales are going "off eBay" in my opinion... NOT because sellers want to avoid fees, but because there's always some new complication promulgated by eBay that makes it impossible for buyers and sellers to easily complete transactions without somebody getting squeezed.

SOMEBODY at eBay needs to WAKE UP and CLEAN UP THIS MESS but they are all too busy chattering over on Facebook, that competing marketplace.

People need to be fired.

Chaos is NOT an "industry standard".
Message 28 of 40
latest reply

... With it you are supposed to be able to request total which gives a commit to buy without paying and it will allow echecks 

That sure doesn't sound like IPR at all.

Message 29 of 40
latest reply

But it is, because if they don't add it to the cart it requires immediate payment (whether the seller has it checked as such or not)

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 30 of 40
latest reply