cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay/PayPal Fees

Hi.  I want to sell an item so that, after the fees are taken out, I will clear $1200.  Is there anyone, with really good math skills, that could tell me what I need to price the auction at?  TYIA. 

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Re: eBay/PayPal Fees

Missed that - LOL - I knew what Nobody meant, I guess......didn't read it at all the way you did.

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 16 of 25
latest reply

I suspect he used the term "auction" loosely and intends to set up a fixed price listing.

Message 17 of 25
latest reply

eBay fees can vary based on  ...

• store subscription level
  • category
  • shipping amount
  • sales tax charged to buyer
  • international fees
  • seller performance rating
  • penalty fees
  • promoted listing level
  • listing upgrades
  • whether the seller is in managed payments

Without knowing all this information, any answer would be a guess.  

Message 18 of 25
latest reply

Selling fees based on (purchase price + shipping + sales tax) plus 30 cent handling charge.   Would be impossible to know exact amount  you should start  you auction at because shipping costs and sales tax vary (based on delivery address).

Message 19 of 25
latest reply

@luckythewinner wrote:

• category
  • shipping amount
  • international fees
  • penalty fees
  • promoted listing level
  • listing upgrades

We can check the OP's account to determine some of this information: He is in MP and has no store subscription, so that narrows down the basic FVF rate possibilities.

Message 20 of 25
latest reply

Potato salad

Message 21 of 25
latest reply

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:
We can check the OP's account to determine some of this information: He is in MP and has no store subscription, so that narrows down the basic FVF rate possibilities.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime. 

I prefer to teach. 

Message 22 of 25
latest reply

@luckythewinner wrote:

• category
  • shipping amount
  • international fees
  • penalty fees
  • promoted listing level
  • listing upgrades

Add to that list whether the buyer lives in a state that charges sales tax on shipping, if the items is charged shipping or free shipping and if the specific item has a FVF cap. I know there are some but don't know if there are any capped near where this may fall.

Honestly, this is all a bunch of pointless hoop jumping. If the math determines the sale price needs to be $1500, that doesn't mean the item is worth $1500. If it's not worth $1500 it won't sell. If it's worth $2000, it would be silly to sell it for $1500.

My advice is to search sold listings to help determine a good price. One that has a chance of selling and doesn't leave money on the table. 

For the math (in a broad brush calculation) you need to determine the total percent the fees could be, including possible sales tax to the buyer. The highest possible would be the most conservative. You'll also need to know what it will cost you to ship it.

(1200+postage+transaction fee) / percent = price including shipping (if no sales tax)

That's the price - the fee % will leave enough to cover the transaction fee, postage and leave $1200.

If there's sales tax, you need to add the fees you'll be charged on the sales tax and add the to your price.

VintageCarMagazines

Message 23 of 25
latest reply

What Has sales tax have to do for the sellers profit? E-bay does the tax portion and the seller never touches it??? I have seen several in here that keep mentioning sales tax and I do not understand what I am missing!!!

Message 24 of 25
latest reply

@ia_dane wrote:

What Has sales tax have to do for the sellers profit? E-bay does the tax portion and the seller never touches it??? I have seen several in here that keep mentioning sales tax and I do not understand what I am missing!!!

It's the final value fees that sellers are charged.. They charge it on the sales tax too-

Doesn't seem right to me but it is what it is.. 

~Pika~
People in life that are the happiest don't have the most,, they make the most of what they have...

Message 25 of 25
latest reply