cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay Fee Question

I sold a card yesterday for $627.55.  The amount of transaction fees showing on the Order details screen is just a bit over $138.  By my math that is 22%.  Since when was the eBay fee for sports cards 22%?  Is there anybody in the forum that can help me find a break down of those fees?  That amount is so high that I will have to change how I buy, which will both limit what is sold to me AND discourage me from trying to sell higher end cards on eBay.  

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

eBay Fee Question

Was there an ad fee attached to the sale? 

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

eBay Fee Question

I only remember bolding the title.

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

eBay Fee Question

I meant look at the payment details to see if ebay charged you an ad fee for this sale.

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

eBay Fee Question

@coinshopbiloxi 

Basic fees are based on the selling price, shipping, and the taxes paid by the buyer + .30.  If you paid to promote the item, that is an additional % on the selling price, shipping, and taxes paid by the buyer.  

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

eBay Fee Question

should only be 13.25% which in theory should have only been about $84.00?   You have to get on the phone with them and have them explain where the extra fees are from.  on ebays site: "

• 13.25% on total amount of the sale up to $7,500 calculated per item

• 2.35% on the portion of the sale over $7,500

• $0.30 per order"      

So, yeah, they have some explaining to do

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

eBay Fee Question

No add fee.  But I did see what they charged me for.  Thanks for the reminder for how to find that.. 

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

eBay Fee Question

I haven't been able to get anybody on the phone for months.  They seem to have put a stop to that.

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

eBay Fee Question

Your math is absolutely correct.  The problem is that with eBay charging the same fees percentage on shipping cost and sales tax, your actual cost to sell that card was about 22%, just like you said.  The thing is, the fees percentage that eBay charges are almost always less, and often significantly less, than the actual cost of selling any item.  Ebay loves it that there are still so many sellers who think if they sell something for $100 (for example) in a category charging 13.25% that they will net $86.75, which is rarely the case. Depending on sales tax and shipping cost, their take home pay for that item that sold for $100 could run them anywhere from 14% to 25% or even more.

Bookmark this ebay fees calculator which can quickly give you how much your net earnings will be as long as you plug in the correct values.  I usually use 8% sales tax as an average percentage number to plug in when I use the calculator. Make sure to leave "item cost" blank.

https://www.ebayfeescalculator.com/usa-ebay-calculator/

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

eBay Fee Question

Was there sales tax charged to the buyer?  If so, add that amount to the item price and shipping, then do your calculation.   What figure does that show?  That's the basics of how your cost is figured.  If you promoted the item, that's on top too.

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

eBay Fee Question

@adkhighker wrote:

Depending on sales tax and shipping cost, their take home pay for that item that sold for $100 could run them anywhere from 14% to 25% or even more.

Doesn't matter what the sales tax and shipping is, it'll still be 13.25%.

Have a great day
Message 11 of 16
latest reply

eBay Fee Question

@kensgiftshop wrote:

@adkhighker wrote:

Depending on sales tax and shipping cost, their take home pay for that item that sold for $100 could run them anywhere from 14% to 25% or even more.

Doesn't matter what the sales tax and shipping is, it'll still be 13.25%.

Read again, only more slowly this time.  I didn't say the fees weren't 13.25%. I said the take home pay wouldn't be 13.25%. 

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

eBay Fee Question

Also check if buyer used a credit card that was not issued in the USA....buyer can live in the USA but use a credit card issued from another country. There is an additional International fee for using such a card .

I had a buyer ID eBayer from Costa Rica who used an address in Georgia(USA)

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

eBay Fee Question

It amazes me how many sellers blindly sell without knowing about fees, expenses, profit margins, net profit, etc. are. These calculations should be done in advance BEFORE selling something.  There should be no surprise.

Undone - Bachman & Cummings
Message 14 of 16
latest reply

eBay Fee Question

@inhawaii wrote:

It amazes me how many sellers blindly sell without knowing about fees, expenses, profit margins, net profit, etc. are. These calculations should be done in advance BEFORE selling something.  There should be no surprise.

It also amazes me how many come on to rant about the fees percentages and yet, despite numerous requests, never show us the actual dollar and cents breakdown readily available. It is almost like they enjoy ranting so much that they do not really want an answer because that would destroy the fun of the rant.

Message 15 of 16
latest reply